Yet ANOTHER watch question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
Thinking seriously about one of these........

OMEGA Watches: Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronometer - Steel on leather strap - 231.13.42.21.06.001

or.....

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster/aqua-terra-chronometer/23110422106001

I am not keen on the big diving style watch. I prefer something subtle and less chunky. But not too dressy or slim either.

What draws me to this watch is its simplicity coupled with the co-axial movement.
Does anybody here have experience of any Omegas with these movements? And if so, is it worth the extra cost?
I am not looking - nor am I interested in any other brand of watch - as good as they may be.

Opinions please.

Last edited:
Nice :)

I'm a bit more bling :-( as I wear a gmt master...

One of my colleagues has an omega similar to the ones you've shown, but it has a little bit of orange in it... looks very smart and different.

I'll root around and see if i can find it...

I have worn my seamaster everyday, sometimes forget to take it off when working on the car doh!

The new co-axial movement promises extra reserve and accuracy. I'd still want to know how many mins / secs the movement looses every week. As someone once told me, if you're precious about time accuracy, don't buy an automatic...

I am going to France next week. Do you think its worth buying duty-free in Gatwick customs?

What kind of savings could I reasonably expect?

15%? 20%? Or less or more?

Are there any down-sides in buying a watch this way?

Please excuse my naivety, but I have never purchased any expensive item this way.

Last edited:
I have worn my seamaster everyday, sometimes forget to take it off when working on the car doh!

The new co-axial movement promises extra reserve and accuracy. I'd still want to know how many mins / secs the movement looses every week. As someone once told me, if you're precious about time accuracy, don't buy an automatic...

I don't expect quartz-like accuracy, but I would anticipate a watch costing £3k+ (full retail) to be within about a couple of seconds a day. Anything outside this would require adjustment at least once every couple of weeks or so and would be unacceptable.

I am going to France next week. Do you think its worth buying duty-free in Gatwick customs?

What kind of savings could I reasonably expect?

15%? 20%? Or less or more?

Are there any down-sides in buying a watch this way?

Please excuse my naivety, but I have never purchased any expensive item this way.

Most places that sell moderately expensive watches would give a 15% to 20% discount if asked..

Last edited:
Both nice watches,, but I'd go for this one - if you intend to wear it everyday then the metal strap will age better IMHO:

23110422106001-20.png

I have a very similar Omega, and I love it for the same reasons: subtle, classy quality. Nice.

I'd ask for a few discounts in local jewellers - even the likes of Goldsmiths so you know what your best deal is before going to Duty Free. If there's little in it, then using a local jeweller might make more sense as you'll also buy some good will and develop a relationship rather than simply complete a transaction.

Most places that sell moderately expensive watches would give a 15% to 20% discount if asked..

Going to Bluewater later today.

I will ask.

In my limited experience, discount is never available on the product I want.

Others - yes - but not the one I want. :doh:

Market Cross Jewelers have been known to give discounts when asked, but they are located ooop north. There's bound to be others discounting on request..

got my BIL a rolex for their wedding pressie... got £500 off the jewellers' in blackpool by asking nicely.

in my experience, we have found that price differences occur due to currency conversions rather than anything else. at the time, rolex were cheaper in england!

Watches have stupid mark ups..
Been able to buy a couple direct from the factory. Fully legit and saved nealy 50% on retail...
On 2k and 6k watches thats some saving..

So damm right you should ask for discount..

Too fussy for me - although I really do appreciate yours - and anyone's - kind advice and assistance.

All I want is a CLEAR uncomplicated dial with the date. With of course a pleasing style.
Most never need or want a rotating bezel or the extra dials. They are really just for show for 99.9% of the wearers.
I would rather my money goes more into the movement than auxiliary fripperies that I neither need nor want.

What I would like is a forum member who has personal experience of a co-axial movement watch and whether they are as good intimated in the press write-ups.

Last edited:
Watches have stupid mark ups..
Been able to buy a couple direct from the factory. Fully legit and saved nealy 50% on retail...
On 2k and 6k watches thats some saving..

So damm right you should ask for discount..

Which watches and which factory ?

I'd be interested in this , but just can't imagine Rolex selling direct for 50% off ?

I just punched the speed master automatic and it Gaines about 2.5 seconds a day. The Omega watches are certified to +/- of 5 seconds a day! I think Rolexes are the same.

My Casio G shock keeps better time than my Seamaster Chrono , about a twentieth of the price too !

Casio F91W?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom