yet another watch thread.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
I currently have 4 watches - but don't get excited at that!!!
The first is for building site work, a timex expedition on a fabric strap, 38mm dia excl crown, weight 31g, on it's last legs.
The next is a dress watch, Rotary with a rectangular face on a leather strap, 25mm width excl crown, weight 22g, nothing wrong with it.
Next is my best, a Tag SEL with a metal bracelet, 38mm dia excl crown, weight 111g, a bit flashy in two tone gold & stainless steel.
Then, on the advice of travel forums (don't take expensive jewelry to south america cos you will get mugged - didn't experience anything of this nature:dk:) I bought a cheap Casio solar watch for the hols. Approx 42mm dia excl crown, resin case/metal strap, weight 76g.
I'm looking to bin the timex and move the casio to week day use. So would like to buy a "weekend daily" watch.
Preference is:-

• Metal strap
  • Min 50m water resistance
  • Minimal weight
  • solar or automatic/kinetic
  • Minimal size

I thought I wanted one of these but have realised that although un-published it is probably more than twice the weight I am used to.
Seiko do a range of titanium watches but none specifically grab me

Any suggestions please, probably sub £200 (don't mind second hand)

Well, as you asked (all Seikos, I seem to have a few):

The BFK you mentioned, I have mine as the daily driver. It's a proper tub of lard but you'll never break it and it's accurate to a few seconds between time changes (normally every 6 months now, as I don't travel as often as I used to). UK RRP £300, I paid ~£135 from Creation a year or so back.

3cd734afca8445be0f1d62de268ca92d_zpslkb17jip.jpg

A Seiko 5, 100m WR, bit lighter than the BFK, automatic, display back although the movement is undecorated so as plain as a Bulgarian pin-up. Paid ~£120 from the US. Accuracy - surprisingly good on this one, although I have another with the same mechanism that I dropped and it's now completely rubbish..

c8aa95597cf3799a392dd5bc9e9746a0_zpscy9oxzdo.jpg

Bit more dressy, this one, no WR rating but lighter still. Quartz, paid ~£50 second hand for this one, no idea how much it was new but I liked it.

61a3b275f1e04b29b90bdd2e78063c36_zpsrzpilcor.jpg

And lastly, if it's lightness you're after then Ti is your friend. This is the oldest of my current collection, some 20 years old now and it's had a hard life. It's scratched to buggery TBH. 100m WR. But it still keeps excellent time and it's probably on it's 5th or 6th battery, so they last a while. It was probably the most expensive new (I think ~£300), but this was before t'internet was a real thing for shopping, this came from a high street jeweller and I paid accordingly..

6a65da7a16f1687351be4a13a4734746_zpsngt7pvn8.jpg

HTH!

Cheers,

Gaz

Longines 18ct.mechanical /automatic, bought tax free in Antigua three years ago, smuggled back in open view on my wrist,

Attachments

• IMG_20160131_110909.jpg
    IMG_20160131_110909.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Longines 18ct.mechanical /automatic, bought tax free in Antigua three years ago, smuggled back in open view on my wrist,

Even second hand that's probably outside budget!

Yes, just thought I'd show and tell, pd. 1500 US Dollars, it was actually my wife's birthday, that's why we took the holiday, and she bought me the watch, she's not all bad, lol.

Well, I decided I wanted a titanium solar powered watch and one of my options was this Seiko Solar Titanium Chronograph SSC365 SSC365P1 SSC365P Men's Watch
Have been checking local jewellers for used watches and found a potential Tissot Sport, 2005 £160, but battery power & slightly heavy put it on the back burner.
Browsing in Bury St Edmunds today for similar used watches, happened to go into Ernest Jones, not expecting to find used or anything else of interest to me. Turns out the had a display cabinet of Seiko watches and my initial thought was at least I can get a feel of the product. But, there on display, was the same watch I had been looking at on Creation Watches. But in Ernest Jones the claimed list price was £249, discounted down to £149. Result! Strap adjusted for me and box/papers included.
Weighs in at 85g

Last edited:
Had this a couple of years now and love it. Big as a wall clock which suits my poor eyesight.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Last edited:
My parents bought me an Omega Dive master for my 21st. Never wear it as I've always been scared of damaging it. Bought an Apple Watch when they were released & where that for everything. Will never get rid of the Omega though. Will go to my son when I pop my clogs.

Seiko would most likely be my choice given the criteria. Would suggest Yorkshire Watches, or Creation Watches if willing to import.

5bcimq.jpg

Just bought this beauty 1968

Thanks to forum member WOODYTHEWISE for this absolute bargain.

Turned up brand new as described! Got to love a simple longines!

Attachments

• image-212901734.jpg
    image-212901734.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 42
I am a fan of the Junghans Mega Solar range.
I had a titanium one that was perfect for me but gifted it to my son when I was moving to the USA as it didn't pick up the American time signal.
Its replacement is the Junghans Force Mega Solar with black ceramic case and strap which has had many complimentary remarks.
I have a Casio edifice wave ceptor as a daily wearer and that is rather heavy but very functional.

Thanks to forum member WOODYTHEWISE for this absolute bargain.

Turned up brand new as described! Got to love a simple longines!

Saw this one when it was advertised and was tempted though I convinced myself eventually that I don't need yet another watch. :)

Looks lovely, and I hope you get much enjoyment from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom