Yet another watch thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Meldrew2

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport (Red) Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (Black) Sorry about that...
I have an Omega Seamaster as my everyday watch, which I bought via the For Sale of this forum, and which I am very happy with. As I have fairly large wrists, it doesn't look too big, and is very comfortable.

JBondSeamasterCo-Axial.jpg

I'd always wanted a Rolex - so when I was given some money a year or two ago, I bought a 1987 Oyster Perpetual - like the photo here but without the date window.

Rolex%20Oyster%20Perpetual%20Date.jpg

It's about the last of the ones with the plastic lens, before they started fitting crystal ones, but that didn't worry me, as I only wanted it for occasional evening wear.

However, it looks tiny on my wrist, so today I finally succumbed to temptation and spent what little profit I have made this year (so please can I start advertising caravan holidays on the forum) on a 2007 Submariner.

16613BLU.jpg

I took along my Oyster Perpetual to the jewellers, with the hope of PX.

I was pretty disappointed - while the Submariner was a good price, I was only offered £550 for the oyster perpetual which I bought for £1075 a couple of years ago.

As my daughter has just got married, I decided against PXing the oyster perpetual, as it will make a great 18th (or 21st) birthday present for the grand-son that may be produced - I'd been hoping for nearer £800 PX, which would have allowed the jeweller a couple of hundred pounds' profit.

As the Submariner was a few hundred below others I have seen (and still A1 quality with box, papers etc) I don't feel that I have lost out overall, but it just seems that if the oyster perpetual is worth half what I paid after 2 years (on a 1987 watch) will my Submariner lose value as quickly.

I guess not, because it's a more popular model, but I'm just not sure. I know there's experts out there - so over to you, guys.

(PS- photos are not the actual watches, but they are the nearest I could find on the web, correct straps, colours etc.)

I wear an Omega Seamaster , and the Submariner you have just bought is the one i aspire to have one day !!

Good choice. The Oyster you have doesn't have a date window ?

What is the red writing on the Seamaster in the picture , as mine doesn't have it ?

I love watches but now don't wear one daily as it would simply get wrecked in my warehouse dealing with 2000kg cases of granite. In fact I don't wear any rings or jewellry for fear of getting it casught and casuing and unpleasnt accident....

I've never been a huge fan of fashion watches but I just noticed Ralph Lauren are doing their own range and they are particualrly nice.

Ralph Lauren Watches

Mainly becasue they are produced by Jaeger Le-Coultre and IWC. Shocking prices though.

I've just never been a fan of Rolex, and although I can't walk past a decent watch shop without peering through the window, most of these watches are now so large they are absurd and uncomfortable.

Never stops me looking though.

Greg , that is a lovely watch !! :bannana:

I was pretty disappointed - while the Submariner was a good price, I was only offered £550 for the oyster perpetual which I bought for £1075 a couple of years ago.

I thought R***x are virtually guaranteed to double in value every month?

Or is that just another R***x myth?:rolleyes:

What is the red writing on the Seamaster in the picture , as mine doesn't have it ?

Mine doesn't have it either... it was the nearest photo I could find on the net.

It says "seamaster"... I think the red writing is on the more recent ones, but no doubt someone will correct me.....

The Oyster you have doesn't have a date window ?

No - and the face looks clearer without it... no magnifying lens on the glass.....

As someone mentioned on my 'Another watch thread'..... watches are very personal.

For what ever reason I tend to think of a Rolex as an older persons watch...don't mean to me funny thats just how I see it.

Bet your pitch price has gone up a little :)

Glad your happy with it.

Don't agree on buying a watch to make a profit, think its what you like the look of.

Bet your pitch price has gone up a little :)

ROTFLMAO!

(yes, the 2010 fees will be a little more than 2009 - but not by much)

We've had a far better year this year than we expected, looks like we've turned the corner from the dark days of 2007-08, hopefully we're one of the first "green shoots" and things will be better for everyone soon. :thumb:

Meanwhile, back at the question, no your Sub should not depreciate as quickly as your oyster as they are a more sought after watch. In fact a watchmaker friend of mine was telling me only 7 weeks ago that the black and green dial subs are currently appreciating in value because supply isnt keeping up with demand. HTH

Mozzer is correct - i am looking at my black and green sub right now.

Guide for px-ing a watch is that the profit a dealer will look for is £500 a watch. Tjhis moves if you are getting a super desirable one.

A colleague of mine traded his black/black sub for a steel/black face daytona and only got £2000 on px, against the £6500 of the Daytona. The Sub will sell for £3000 but as the Daytona is so rare the dealer wont give a good price.

Much like cars really!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom