Yokohama advan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimjamiejames

Car
S211 e350, daimler sovereign custom project
Has anyone had any experience with this tyre. I've a puncture on the rear of my e63 so looks like I will be fitting a new pair. Might go Goodyear aysm 5's but exploring what my options are. Don't wanna spring for michelin and while I don't wanna scrimp on a car like this i would still like a decent deal.

I like these tyre threads , Yokohama Advan is like Dunlop SP Sport /Sport Maxx , Bridgestone Potenza and Pirelli P Zero where there is many models of and we don't have a clue to what actual tyre .

You won't go wrong with the Asymmetric 5 but 6 is due out any minute .

It's the advan sport v105 in 285 30 r19 98y to be specific.

Ive got dunlop sport max on my c63 there not very good in cold and wet weather

Looks like I had a close call with the tyre which was loosing pressure.

It's not been run flat or with low pressure and I don't believe there is an issue with the suspension. It seems like the tyre is at fault and has started to delaminate. Not thrilled about buying 2 new tyres that have approx 6 mm tread left but happy to have caught the issue before anything serious happened and looking forward to see how it drives with different tyres.

Also I had a vibration at higher speed but not through the steering. I suspected balancing and was due to have it check but this may well have been an early sign of an issue. Maybe it went out of shape.

Attachments

• IMG-20220204-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220204-WA0004.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 18
Ahh Pirelli, not bought Pirelli for many many years in fact the last car with Pirellis that I had was the brand new ones I fitted to my Opel Manta GTE which promptly sent me on a 360 a few hours later and I was not even hooning around, straight back and off they came, I dont have fond memories of Yokohamas either to be truthfull not due to grip etc but I managed to get through a set within 10k, just plain wore out again just normal driving nothing daft and to be truthfull I never felt they gripped that well either especially in the Rain.
Never had an issue with Goodyear or Michelin and I do tend to stick to those, you can get deals if you shop around, I use a place called camskill and get them fitted locally, not sure what size you have but my fronts as an example are this size

Did they run out of letters?
All out of Cs and Es, and there was talk that the Cs were no longer available.

So I suggested that if they had B’s Rs and order some more Es then that could work but they pop-pooed my suggestion.

It's not been run flat or with low pressure and I don't believe there is an issue with the suspension. It seems like the tyre is at fault and has started to delaminate. Not thrilled about buying 2 new tyres that have approx 6 mm tread left but happy to have caught the issue before anything serious happened and looking forward to see how it drives with different tyres.

Also I had a vibration at higher speed but not through the steering. I suspected balancing and was due to have it check but this may well have been an early sign of an issue. Maybe it went out of shape.
The tyre is bald on the inside. Not a tyre fault.

You must have quite a bit of negative camber on the rear. (Tyre leaning in the way at the top)

4 wheel alignment req when fitting your new tyres

The tyre is bald on the inside. Not a tyre fault.

You must have quite a bit of negative camber on the rear. (Tyre leaning in the way at the top)

4 wheel alignment req when fitting your new tyres
Checking the alignment wouldn't hurt. It would be nice to know that it's right although I don't think it's out of tolerance. Yes there is more wear to the inner shoulder but not to the point you'd expect the tyre to do this i don't think. I don't have a picture but if you rotated the wheel 180 to see the opposite side to the damage the inner corner is no where near as bad and certainly not bald.

Dont just check “alignment” - get a full geometry check, from somewhere with a full Hunter system.

this will check the wheels for camber and castor, and dial it in properly. Somewhere like :-
Wheels in Motion in Chesham.
Ruislip Tyres.

im sure you can search and find places local to you, - it may be worth pre ordering new camber bolts for the process, as many fitted ex factory are non adjustable. - talk to the place you will take it to.

If that’s a pretty new tyre, did the fitters talk about sending it back to Pirelli for investigation, they may spring ror new one if it’s a manufactures fault.

If the E63 is anything like the C then they do wear out the inner edge front and rear my continentals cantact 6 lasted 6k miles (w204 c63) mixed driving

If that’s a pretty new tyre, did the fitters talk about sending it back to Pirelli for investigation, they may spring ror new one if it’s a manufactures fault.
I don't know the age or miles of the tyre because it was on when I got the car. I'm happy to just right it off and start fresh with some new tyres of another brand than try persue pirelli.

I don't think camber is adjustable on my car, s212 e63. It's not lowered so unless something is worn the geometry should be right. Far as I know it's only toe in that's adjustable. I know a place not too far away with a hunter set up so once the new tyres are on I will probably take it to get checked to be on the safe side.

If the E63 is anything like the C then they do wear out the inner edge front and rear my continentals cantact 6 lasted 6k miles (w204 c63) mixed driving
My thoughts too

Put more air in the front tyres.

Has anyone had any experience with this tyre. I've a puncture on the rear of my e63 so looks like I will be fitting a new pair. Might go Goodyear aysm 5's but exploring what my options are. Don't wanna spring for michelin and while I don't wanna scrimp on a car like this i would still like a decent deal.
I replaced the Pirelli P-Zero's on the rear of my E63 with GY Aysmmetric 5's and find them far better in the cold damp weather. They still aren't going to give huge grip until I fit an LSD, but they are a big improvement on the Pirelli's. 285x30x19

I replaced the Pirelli P-Zero's on the rear of my E63 with GY Aysmmetric 5's and find them far better in the cold damp weather. They still aren't going to give huge grip until I fit an LSD, but they are a big improvement on the Pirelli's. 285x30x19
Thanks for the input. I went with the goodyears after all. Part of me will be sad to see the p zero go because of how easy you can push the back end around ha. I've got the factory LSD and it makes it really predictable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom