Yokohama Vs Pirelli

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yozzer

Car
C63 AMG, SLK 55 AMG, CLK 320, Mitsubishi L200, Golf TDI, Renault 5GT Turbo.
The tyres on my other two previously owned Mercedes were Pirelli P zero
Both was High performance cars ( SLK 55 AMG and CLK 320 CDi ) however o. The C63 AMG I have Yokohama tyres, is there a significant difference in terms of grip wear and performance as I cannot distinguish anything apart from the Pirelli are a little noisier. Has any one experienced any or both of these types of tyre.

Neither, Michelin Super Pilot Sports.

i like super sports too

very sure footed and supposed to last a long time

The tyres on my other two previously owned Mercedes were Pirelli P zero
Both was High performance cars ( SLK 55 AMG and CLK 320 CDi ) however o. The C63 AMG I have Yokohama tyres, is there a significant difference in terms of grip wear and performance as I cannot distinguish anything apart from the Pirelli are a little noisier. Has any one experienced any or both of these types of tyre.

I've had the P Zero and now have the Yoko Advan Sport. The Yoke makes the P-Zero seem like a budget tyre. . .

I have had P Zero, and have Yokohamas on my Mini Cooper. The tyre that has beaten both for me has been Toyo. They were quiet, superb grip and have outlived both Pirelli and Yokohama. The life has been a surprise, as I thought with the excellent grip they would be a soft tyre, but this has not been the case.

I have had P Zero, and have Yokohamas on my Mini Cooper. The tyre that has beaten both for me has been Toyo. They were quiet, superb grip and have outlived both Pirelli and Yokohama. The life has been a surprise, as I thought with the excellent grip they would be a soft tyre, but this has not been the case.

I had some T1R's on an Impreza, they were ok, not to good in the wet due to been a 'v' tread pattern. I put some on the rear of an old BMW and after 500 miles they had to be removed due to there weak sidewalls, they might be ok on a front wheel drive car, but after the sway and aquaplaning in the wet not a tyre I'd buy again. . .

Interesting point, as the Toyos T1Rs are fitted to a front drive Audi. I notice that Audi are now fitting Toyo to the higher performance variants instead of Pirelli.

Toyo have just released T1 Sports, which et claim to be a heavier tyre due to improved construction and a more convectional tread pattern

I can't vouch for them personally but my Mum's Alpina B3 Biturbo has Pilot Super Sports on and it does get some fairly spirited driving done when the weather permits, the rears have lasted over 20k miles which is pretty impressive to me

Dr-Nab said:
I can't vouch for them personally but my Mum's Alpina B3 Biturbo has Pilot Super Sports on and it does get some fairly spirited driving done when the weather permits, the rears have lasted over 20k miles which is pretty impressive to me

Dr Nab
Your mother has an exquisite taste in vehicles
Alpina only seem to fit proper tyres to most all of their range
I understand fronts can last up to 40k and rears as you say 20k
Not bad for a 360-400 bhp motor car
I think they are fitting pilot sport 2 to their current cars

I was at Brooklands the other weekend on the AMG driving experience. My instructor swore by Pirellis as the best for grip but said they don't last long. Have just put Continental 5Ps on my C63 and am very pleased with them. The previous Yokos were very worn so hard to compare as the new tyres feel like they have loads more grip but are new.

Now that is impressive

Benjy said:
Just had my fronts fitted with MSPS's...... unbelievable. I had Yokohamas previously and don't rate them at all.

Top tip for the day if you have a C63 ;-)

Another vote for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Never had Michelin before so decided to try them out. They cost loads of money (I needed all four corners) and as such my expectations were quite high. Boy they didn't disappoint, the grippiest thing ever!

I've had Michelin Pilot Sports, very nice.
Now using Falken ZE912 - better tread wear number (always worth checking that one), plus they are a 4-season tyre. And much cheaper on the 8J/9Jx18 AMG monoblocks.

I won't touch Pirelli with a long stick, poor grip esp when needed most - couple of near disasters - let-go on dry road, just plain bad in wet, thrown treads, broken radial belts. Several cars, many years, Pirelli have always let me down, I'd rather have remoulds.

Just had my fronts fitted with MSPS's...... unbelievable. I had Yokohamas previously and don't rate them at all.

Out of interest which Yoko tyre? as the MSPS compare to the AD08's. . .

Hi G.P.

I have had two sets of Advan Sports on my 63 now and considering I've only done 13,000 miles on the car that isn't too impressive.

My mate advised me on the Michelin SPSs and have to say the grip min comparison to the Yokos are like chalk and cheese. The Yokos are great when they are very hot and start to work at high temperatures especially on the track, but for everyday use and the weather we get in this country which is mostly cold, they are rubbish and won't use them again. Would rather save the extra and get the Mich's every time now.

Cheers

Michelin Supersports all day long! :cool:

However they are aimed right at the top end of the market so even peeps with 18" wheels might find their size aint listed! :doh:

In that case I'd drop to the next range down which is the PS3 which'll cover most performance cars. :thumb:

Hi G.P.

I have had two sets of Advan Sports on my 63 now and considering I've only done 13,000 miles on the car that isn't too impressive.

My mate advised me on the Michelin SPSs and have to say the grip min comparison to the Yokos are like chalk and cheese. The Yokos are great when they are very hot and start to work at high temperatures especially on the track, but for everyday use and the weather we get in this country which is mostly cold, they are rubbish and won't use them again. Would rather save the extra and get the Mich's every time now.

Cheers

Good job we are all different and require different things from tyres. All tyre's need to be warmed, some more than others, but Yoko do provide excellent feel of the road and are very progressive on there limit's which has yet to be equalled, they also produce round and balanced carcases, which others are still trying to master.

13k on 2 sets is excellent if your hard on tyre's and on track days. . .

In that case I'd drop to the next range down which is the PS3 which'll cover most performance cars. :thumb:

I've just been out in a friends car, in the wet on PS3's all round with 6mm tread left. He is taking them off next week due to the poor wet grip, I was offered the key's to drive, but not worth it on these tyres, I was just starting to think it was just a couple of us who thought Michelin's are not quite as good as others, he does not have a good word for them. He is getting some Bridgestone's. Each to there own I guess. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom