Yorkshire YOMP 2012 - Driving Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK I now have a route in mind which will take in the Peak District National Park, Yorkshire Dales National Park and North Yorkshire Moors National Park, through some very tight challenging twisties a 1:3 hill and 2 x 1:4 hills. Through some of the most beautiful valleys there are and with some of the finest food on offer. through stunning scenery.

Route length approx 205 miles and driving time approx 6 hours.

Will work on the route, accommodation and food and photo stops over the holidays and will produce detailed notes for every participant (good to know my days of walking countless rally stages making pace notes have finally come in useful :D )

Have a great Christmas and New year

Poll to decide the tour date

Dear All

This will be a 1 day tour starting 8:30am @ Sheffield (Ladybower) and finishing around 6:00pm @ Whitby. With a very interesting lunch stop on route.

For those interested I have created a poll so we can decide the best date for this tour, these dates span March - May, so please could you register your vote HERE

You can vote for more than one day so please indicate all the days you would be available>

I have something special planned for this one including Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner at some of the finest eating establishments in Yorkshire and route that will take in some of the most spectacular tourist attractions (the natural ones) Yorkshire has to offer, there will be photo stops with fantastic back drops for you and your prized MB (or whatever car you choose to bring, not just limited to MB)

So tell your friends, family the more the merrier, will post the route details once I have had a trial run this week :D

Catch you all in 2012:thumb:

Last edited:
This will be a 1 day tour starting 8:30am @ Sheffield (Ladybower) and finishing around 6:00pm @ Whitby. With a very interesting lunch stop on route.

route that will take in some of the most spectacular tourist attractions (the natural ones)

I grew up not far from Ladybower reservoir and remember being terrified as my father stood me on the wall overlooking the overflows in full flow. Imagine if you fell in... :eek:
http://v7.cache1.c.bigcache.googlea...otos/original/29607996.jpg?redirect_counter=2

Any chance of this tour visiting High Force? Me and Mrs DM went to visit one day some years ago and couldn't because the snow was too deep to walk through after parking the car, all in though a good 400 mile trip out for Sunday lunch.

I grew up not far from Ladybower reservoir and remember being terrified as my father stood me on the wall overlooking the overflows in full flow. Imagine if you fell in... :eek:
http://v7.cache1.c.bigcache.googlea...otos/original/29607996.jpg?redirect_counter=2

Any chance of this tour visiting High Force? Me and Mrs DM went to visit one day some years ago and couldn't because the snow was too deep to walk through after parking the car, all in though a good 400 mile trip out for Sunday lunch.

You spoilt my surprise (only joking) although the tour won't visit High Force as I think it is too far North for this run which is Yorkshire based, and visiting High Force would take us into Country Durham However we will be having lunch at the Green Dragon Pub at Hardraw Force England's highest waterfall if that's any good for you? or you could peel off from the main tour to do High Force and then rejoin us as we cross into North Yorkshire ?

Details HERE

So that's a little of an appetite wetter for what you will see on this tour, full route details and stops to come shortly

Last edited:
1. Flanaia1
2. Igurisu
3. Timskemp
4. corned
5. Gollom
6. MicB ((Possible)(Hope you dont mind me adding you MicB))
7. trapperjohn
8. D-18 (Provisional - depends on work commitments)
9. Sweetpea (Date dependant)
10. gmanrangers
11. *** - date dependent....
12 Ian Walker
13. c240sport97 (definitely if weekend)
14. sspeed (Maybe +1)
I am definately up for this..2 (or more) days are fine for me. So glad its not "A race" as I would actually like to see some of the scenery!

God what an amazing place...
I would definately like to visit this at some point..
Dieselman, why not start a thread for a GTG / walk on a different occasion if its not possible on this one?
We could actually do something healthy (like have a walk)...

sorry i missed the last one but had to take the wife to a party but am up for this one

Dieselman, why not start a thread for a GTG / walk on a different occasion if its not possible on this one?

Walking isn't really my thing, but if you fancied one a good place to start would be Stannage Edge.
Then perhaps take a trip down the caverns at Castleton. Speedwell, Blue John, Peak and Treak cliffe are the ones to visit. Speedwell is different because access is by boat only and it has the bottomless pit.
Unfortunately Elf 'n Safety has probably made it all a bit more user friendly than it used to be when I were a kid...

When I was about 8 y.o. we were waiting to go down one of the caverns on a fairly cold , windy day and there was a man flying a large (2m wingspan) radio controlled glider on the hillside above us.
The glider swooped down over the carpark and he lost control putting it straight through the back window of an Austin Maxi with a family sitting inside.
Oops..!! :eek::D

Anyway, back to Flania1's thrash round the countryside...

Last edited:
God what an amazing place...
I would definately like to visit this at some point..

Simon good to have you on board and that amazing shot by DM is what are known locally as the plugholes as there are two of them, I think Ladybower is still the largest reservoir in the UK at over 3 miles long and during it's construction the villages of Ashopton and Derwent were abandoned and flooded, during really dry summers you can still see the remains of the church clock tower. The tower used to permanently stick out of the water but just like the walkways that used to surround the plugholes they were demolished on health and safety grounds.

Depending on when you are coming over (when we decide on a date) you should have time to take in a short walk to see these features and also there is a fantastic visitors center called the Fairholmes center. As the Yorkshire Bridge Inn on the Reservoir is our starting point

All who have not voted yet please do so HERE

Cheers

Last edited:
Updated List

1. Flanaia1
2. Igurisu
3. Timskemp
4. corned
5. Gollom
6. MicB ((Possible)(Hope you dont mind me adding you MicB))
7. trapperjohn
8. D-18 (Provisional - depends on work commitments)
9. Sweetpea (Date dependant)
10. gmanrangers
11. *** - date dependent....
12 Ian Walker
13. c240sport97 (definitely if weekend)
14. sspeed (Maybe +1)
15. BEJ
16. Y13 PMC (Possible)

Sorry to bang on but we have 8 people expressing an Interest in this but only 8 people have voted. COuld those who have not voted yet please do so HERE

Once a date is agreed, I'll get a place booked in Sheffield the evening before, and the hotel booked in Ruswarp for the finishing...

I bet Ian has Trenchers lined up for Saturday :D

Start Point Postcode = S33 0AZ LINKY

Finish Point Post Code = YO21 1TL LINKY

If there are enough people wanting to stay then I can ask our corporate travel booker to get us group rates at the start and finish points, normal going rate is around £60 - £70 per room for two people.

Alternatively if anyone wants to stay near me then I already have a deal with a local 3 star + (used to be 4 star) which has spa and leisure club and is very nice

LINKY this normally is between £50 - £75 per room (depending on room type)

I also have great rates at our local Travelodge and know some great local places to eat.

This is about 45 minutes from our start point but if you stay here you get to do and extra pass as we will travel over the "Strines Pass" on route to the start point, the downside it will mean an earlier start.

Last edited:
Start Point Postcode = S33 0AZ LINKY

Finish Point Post Code = YO21 1TL LINKY

If there are enough people wanting to stay then I can ask our corporate travel booker to get us group rates at the start and finish points, normal going rate is around £60 - £70 per room for two people.

Alternatively if anyone wants to stay near me then I already have a deal with a local 3 star + (used to be 4 star) which has spa and leisure club and is very nice

LINKY this normally is between £50 - £75 per room (depending on room type)

I also have great rates at our local Travelodge and know some great local places to eat.

This is about 45 minutes from our start point but if you stay here you get to do and extra pass as we will travel over the "Strines Pass" on route to the start point, the downside it will mean an earlier start.

I'm taken on your hotel to start with, and another pass. Brilliant!!!

The Provisional Morning Programme

For those staying near me at The Ardsley House Hotel or Travelodge
Depart 07:00 travel via "Strines Pass" to Main start point at Yorkshire Bridge Inn Ladybower for Breakfast butties Arrive 07:45 - 08:00

Main Start Point Yorkshire Bridge Inn Ladybower, Postcode S33 0AZ Depart around 08:30

Stage 1

Will take us over the following.

Snake Pass
Torside Pass
Woodhead Pass
Holme Moss Pass
A65

This route will take us through where they filmed, League of Gentlemen, Last of The Summer Wine and Frost as well as many period drama's. We will also pass through Bronte Country at Haworth and the Keithley and Worth Valley Steam Railway

We will stop for mid morning coffee and cakes where the A629 meets the A65 at Skipton.

Stage 2

From here we will proceed to Ingleton along the A65 (one of Yorkshire's and Lancashire's finest driving roads) before crossing over to Hawes on what is known as "The Ribblehead Run" a 16 mile route that takes in The Ribblehead viaduct on the Settle Carlisle line and Ribblehead station recently restored to it's former glory. There are plenty of photo opportunities along this route with stunning backdrops.

Once at Hawes we will take a short drive to Hardraw to stop at the Green Dragon Pub for lunch (2 hours) this will give people chance to have a walk in the pub grounds and visit Hardraw force England,s highest single drop waterfall

Please feel free to Google the above places we will be travelling through and to and you will see how good this road trip should be.

Will post the provisional Afternoon route shortly and then the full route including maps and guidance.

Last edited:
Once a date is agreed, I'll get a place booked in Sheffield the evening before, and the hotel booked in Ruswarp for the finishing...

Unless you specifically want to be in Sheffield I would look to book in the Peak District area instead, great scenery, great driving roads in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom