Yorkshirites: places to visit near "Howardian Hills"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manalishi

This weekend we're off to Yorkshire, staying for a week at a cottage near Brandsby (North of York).

So far, we've got trips out to the coast, moors and dales planned, but just wondered if there were also smaller villages/sites worth visiting that are closer to 'home'.

Seems the area is called 'Howardian Hills' - any ideas? We rather like walks and mooching around pretty villages.

TIA :)

Seems the area is called 'Howardian Hills' - any ideas?

Castle Howard is about 10 mins away!

Loads of little villages in that area. Thirsk is a lovely market town, a half hour to the NW.

You can always visit Sutton-on-the-Forest, which is dear to my heart (if you find my WWII family member thread from last year).

Easingwold is also nearby - again a lovely little market town.

There's loads to see and do!

The North Yorkshire Moors Railway runs steam trains from Pickering and is well worth a trip. Any of the villages on the route are worth a visit.

Goathland village is where they filmed Heartbeat and even though there has been no filming for 19 years they still make a good living out of selling tourist tat for silly money.

Climbing the 199 steps up to Whitby Abbey is worth it for the view alone.

It might be worth joining the queue at The Magpie, the only fish and chip restaurant to make it into the Egon Ronay good food guide, although Trenchers offer bigger portions for less money

Watch out for the sheep because there are no fences, they seem to roam free and graze on the roadside and village greens.

Oh and there is a Food Festival on at the market square in Malton on the 22nd

Best bit... No fixed speed cameras in North Yorkshire

Having grown up in N Yorkshire, I would always recommend a visit to Knaresborough. The Dales are full of gems, but if you could only visit one, I think Knaresborough would be it.

From there, Brimham Rocks is also worth a visit.

Excellent - thanks chaps. :) Printed for the trip. Not sure I'll be able to drag SWMBO around Castle Howard (had no luck at Blenheim Palace). But a trip on the train from Pickering to Whitby looks like a cracking idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom