You are prosecuted for speeding - NIP: 21FMG24

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 6183

Subject: You are prosecuted for speeding - NIP: 21FMG24
Date: Wed, December 14, 2016 3:41 pm
To: enquiries@
Priority: Normal
Options:
View Full Header | View Printable Version | Download this as a file | View Unsafe Images | View Message Details | View as plain text
UN PLY: 92HDOOO12
Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP)

In obedience to Section 1 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988. we hereby inform you that it is intended to take proceedings against the driver of motor vehicle. This email is the part of GMP Notification Service.

Details of the Offence

Fixed Speed Device ID: 93AGP67
Time & Date: at 12:30 on 02/12/2016
Offence Location: A627 Dukinfield Road, South of Dunkirk Lane, Hyde
Violation: EXCEED 35 MPH SPEED LIMIT
Motor Vehicle Speed: 71
We have photographic proof that the driver of motor vehicle failed to adhere with a speed limit at the date, time and location.
In your own case the notice was served on the keeper of the vehicle as registered with the DVLA and your details have afterwards been supplied to us as being the driver at the moment. The registered keeper, driver or legal representative may examine the photographic evidence now or later by appointment.
Check Fixed Speed Device Evidence
Whether you agree with the NIP or not you must complete the section 172 notice declaring who was driving the car at the time of the offence within 28 days. The NIP with the section 172 notice were sent to your mailing address.

There were attachments as well plus another identical email sent 3 hours later. Never seen this type of scam before, should I assume that opening the attachment or clicking the bit in red above would have caused me no end of grief or is there some other objective?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Why would a NIP be sent by email?
They need to be posted to the registered keeper to arrive within 14 days of the offence - not emailed!
This sounds like a dodgy phishing email - don't open any attachments.
Cheers
Steve

I don't think I've ever seen a 35mph limit :)

I think I would look up the real Greater Manchester Police contact details and forward this to them, it could help them stop the scammer.

Scam as said!

Pretty sure the Police would use a slightly more formal email address than @localmail.com

Delete! :)

71 in a 35 zone :eek:. I'll look after the SLK while you're inside Lew.

Thanks for the heads-up though. Good warning for others. :thumb:

If you was to click through the link, it would take you to the site below, which is a copy of the legitimate site. Putting in the details starts off the process of downloading malware that looks to be a PDF but is in fact an Executable.

nip_zps38gknvre.jpg

this is the site it is hoping you think you have gone to.
http://www.drivesafe.org.uk

Last edited:
Thanks Mark,

I was aware that it was a scam but not how it would work, I know now.

I think I'd spot the scam given I haven't been anywhere near Manchester for about 4 years.

I used to just delete/block these but I now report all of them as phishing scams, hopefully will reduce them a bit.

Funny how the OP's NIP has no car details, no REG or driver details, but they have your email lol. :fail :wallbash:

Should ring alarm bells for anyone.

At first glance you'd think the scammers would be more accurate in both the details and grammar in order to fool more people, but this isn't the case. Victims who respond to poorly written scams are more likely to respond to others, so the ne'er do wells build a contact list of targets which is almost self selecting.

I delete all email messages sent to me by 'Police' without even opening them.

I never gave them my email address so it's bound to be a scam of some sort...

On of the off chance it is genuine... they will back it up by post anyway.

It was clearly a scam as it was sent to my business email, no cars are registered to the business but such emails are easier to harvest as, by nature, they tend to be publicised.

I was just wondering what the scam was, it's easy to say 'it's a scam' but my inquisitive nature needs to know how I could be scammed and of what could I be scammed of.

If you click it, you may receive $300,000,000 from the Lagos Police Force.

Worth a try just before Christmas in my opinion.

It was clearly a scam as it was sent to my business email, no cars are registered to the business but such emails are easier to harvest as, by nature, they tend to be publicised.

I was just wondering what the scam was, it's easy to say 'it's a scam' but my inquisitive nature needs to know how I could be scammed and of what could I be scammed of.

I haven't analysed the code any further but the payload could be anything. Its not a direct scam to get you to part with funds in payment for the fine, which is how it would first appear.

Once you process the download and open the fake document you will be downloading and running some malware that could be doing anything.

Most common attacks are currently
Cryptlocker style,
where they encrypt all files on your PC, network servers. Charging you a large ransom to get the decryption key.

Silent malware,
looking for access to banking sites and recording your login details.

BOT's,
The software could just turn your PC into a BOT to carry out attacks on others, be they DDOS or possible host illegal websites on your PC.

I haven't analysed the code any further but the payload could be anything. Its not a direct scam to get you to part with funds in payment for the fine, which is how it would first appear.

Once you process the download and open the fake document you will be downloading and running some malware that could be doing anything.

Most common attacks are currently
Cryptlocker style,
where they encrypt all files on your PC, network servers. Charging you a large ransom to get the decryption key.

Silent malware,
looking for access to banking sites and recording your login details.

BOT's,
The software could just turn your PC into a BOT to carry out attacks on others, be they DDOS or possible host illegal websites on your PC.

Just open it Lewy - live a little :cool:

We don't even have 35mph zones do we?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom