You can rely on German quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 W204 C180K
I'm in the process of installing a new kitchen and as we have had excellent service from Bosch appliances in the past we decided to go for German quality again and buy everything Bosch.

The various items have been delivered and:

The oven was made in Poland
The microwave - China (this was by far the most expensive item)
The Hob - Spain
I forget where the cooker hood and dishwasher were made but you guessed, it wasn't Germany.

To be fair they all look like quality items wherever they were made but you have to wonder what the German manufacturing machine is churning out these days because it isn't Bosch.

I don't know what the world's coming to.

The next thing you know they'll be making Jags in Slovakia.......

They’ll be building Mercs in Spain next :eek:

Well judging by our piece of crap “German made” Miele washing machine I’d be thankful!

'German Quality' (whatever it means) is not the same as 'German Made'.... my W203 presumably had German Quality instilled into it at the production line in the East London factory in South Africa. And has anyone driven a Merc assembled in ehe Suez Canal Economic Zone, Egypt?

Well judging by our piece of crap “German made” Miele washing machine I’d be thankful!

Just as well we couldn't afford Miele. The prices seemed to be near double the other German brands. I believe when a Miele appliance does go wrong the repair costs can be astronomical and in many cases you need a man with a laptop to clear the fault codes. Now where have we come across that before. But unlike cars you can be sure there is no equivalent of the OBD II standard to make it a proposition for anyone other than a Miele service engineer.

When ze Deutschland ran out of money during WW2, Bosch, Krups and Hugo Boss all learned how to make cheap nazi products - maybe this legacy is still enduring? The circle of life says that Germany is likely to run out of money again, due to Brexit - they've bankrolled too many failing countries so far, how can they carry on?"

We have a Miele vacuum for car cleaning duties and a Dyson Ball upright for home use.

I can honestly say the Miele is far better even though the dyson was far pricier.

P.S this is a high power Miele, I believe the motors are now capped at a certain wattage now.

M
'German Quality' (whatever it means) is not the same as 'German Made'.... my W203 presumably had German Quality instilled into it at the production line in the East London factory in South Africa. And has anyone driven a Merc assembled in ehe Suez Canal Economic Zone, Egypt?
My C55 AMG Wagon was built in Germany but I understand (maybe mistakenly) that in 2006/7 the S203 was only being made in South Africa so the body shell/doors etc were shipped from there to Germany. Someone on here will know.

Honda Civic built in Swindon UK...yes but a lot of the parts in it come from anywhere but the UK..it's the norm these days.

My Bosch dishwasher lasted for 15 years including an international move and at various points being left un-used when we were in rental accommodation that already had a dishwasher. - When it came to replace it I didn't seriously consider another brand.

I don't think the quality of the new unit is as good, but it's got at least another 10 years to prove that assessment wrong.

My grandmother had a Miele and had to have it repaired under warranty at least twice. - Now that I think about it, our industrial washer at work is also a Miele and that has had to be repaired because the "flow pump" had failed and it would just fill the unit with detergent (so when it was opened it was full of foam).

My Bosch dishwasher lasted for 15 years including an international move and at various points being left un-used when we were in rental accommodation that already had a dishwasher. - When it came to replace it I didn't seriously consider another brand.

I don't think the quality of the new unit is as good, but it's got at least another 10 years to prove that assessment wrong.

My grandmother had a Miele and had to have it repaired under warranty at least twice. - Now that I think about it, our industrial washer at work is also a Miele and that has had to be repaired because the "flow pump" had failed and it would just fill the unit with detergent (so when it was opened it was full of foam).

We're on our second Bosch dishwasher, the first one lasted over 15 years and that was running every day too. The later one we bought didn't look a lot different but has re-arranged washer blades and a few more programmes. I rate the stuff highly. I suppose even if it's made in a different country as long as the quality control checks are made and the components are as good they should still give excellent long service (i hope)

We had a Miele washing machine that didn't last too long and a repair was uneconomical. Never again. We have had a German-made AEG for some years now which is excellent.

Just as well we couldn't afford Miele. The prices seemed to be near double the other German brands. I believe when a Miele appliance does go wrong the repair costs can be astronomical and in many cases you need a man with a laptop to clear the fault codes. Now where have we come across that before. But unlike cars you can be sure there is no equivalent of the OBD II standard to make it a proposition for anyone other than a Miele service engineer.
When our 12yr old Miele dishwasher finally pack up I was advised by their service department an engineer callout would cost £70 for the first 30min then £70 every 10min thereafter! Symptoms suggested a failed heater, part cost £400 and may take 1hr to replace. We bought a new dishwasher, yes another Miele ....

I've no idea how long Bosch dishwashers last...we moved house and the built in stayed put, but was working as expected after nearly 20 years. The new house is full of Bosch appliances...some (if not all) will be incorporated into the new kitchen.

Love the quality and gimmick free nature of Miele controls - knobs, dials etc. Fitments too. But sadly Miele white good reliability has in our experience over 20 years, with one exception, been poor. 2 x broken tumbler driers, 2 x knackered washing machines. And as others have mentioned, call out fees can be wince worthy. So, yesterday, finally, with a broken DW, we moved to Bosch. Which is what we used to buy before we got all self important and best worthy.

The exception? I bought my mum a Miele washer drier 15 odd years ago (£1200) and when she passed away in 2015 a long line of sisters queued up for hand me downs. The washer drier was top of the wanted list and is still going strong to this day.

Hoovers? Very good. They tend to look more beaten up than they are. Cases get scratched, but internals seems to go on forever. Can't abide Dyson hoovers and besides, efficient or not, would prefer not to look at a centrifuge full of crap every time I'm asked to hoover. (Every 6 months or so :D )

Talking of Dyson, in full best worthy mode, I bought a Dyson lamp, one of these:

Messages Image(116444231).png

I'd have been better off with a wet candle.

Henry does us. I have found more than a few people who've tried Dyson then got a Henry.

Henry does us. I have found more than a few people who've tried Dyson then got a Henry.
Our “first” Henry has just packed up after 15 year of house cleaning with a nice sideline in refurbishing 14 houses (!) - brick dust and much more.

The M-I-L goes through a new Dyson every five years and all that does is vaccum carpet!

Our “first” Henry has just packed up after 15 year of house cleaning with a nice sideline in refurbishing 14 houses (!) - brick dust and much more.

The M-I-L goes through a new Dyson every five years and all that does is vaccum carpet!
WE still have our first and second Henry. The first, I must admit, is a "Trigger's broom" affair...but parts are cheap and DIY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom