You can tell you're a car guy when...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When others are slagging off an unpopular car and you think 'I've never driven one either, I wonder what it's like? I wouldn't mind a go'.

When others are slagging off an unpopular car and you think 'I've never driven one either, I wonder what it's like? I wouldn't mind a go'.
I often think that about the Allegro, folks rubbishing it. I had a 1300, square steering wheel and all, and while not the best car I’ve owned it was certainly a good workhorse, did its job and did it well

When you want an Alfaholics 105 over and above any other classic ever.

Having reflected, I think a post I made earlier in this thread captures it most: a real car guy/girl is interested in any and every car, from Smart to Pagani and everything in between.

I agree, and it reminds me of a little incident on the Millbrook proving ground steering circle back in 1991.
I was doing some tyre and set up tests on the Jaguar XJ220 and along trundled a prototype JCB Fastrac.

We were both equally fascinated by each others machines.

After some conversation we both agreed on a 10 minute driver swap and I was very impressed with what the first major design overhaul of the tractor since....well...the traction engine!
We had got our XJ220 to pull over 1g lat.sustained on the steering circle, which the guy in the 'tower block' of a Fastrac said he reckoned he could match:dk:
On the very edge of his tyres and on the point of tipping, he did just that! Who knew? A very skilled and brave(!) driver.

Little did I know at the time that 15 years later I would be asked by JCB if I could get a diesel land speed record using a pair of their 444 'digger' engines.
The answer, as it tuned out, was yes and the record still stands.
I see recently that Guy Martin has got the fastest tractor record in a modified Fastrac using much of the engine technology developed for the Dieselmax project.

Proper car guys at JCB :thumb:

When your storage costs starts to exceed your mortgage and your solution is to buy a building instead of renting one.

sp.JPG

When you want an Alfaholics 105 over and above any other classic ever.

absolutely yes! I would love one so much I can barely look at them as it makes me feel ill. Closest I’ll get is the Alfaholics exhaust and cat on my GTV. Unless I sell the house/kidney/someone else’s kidney...

actually there is just one exception to the above statement - Alfa T33 Stradale. But that’s not really a car, it’s beyond definition.

i find this with two wheeled things as well. Whether a Honda Cub 90 or a ratty old 1960’s pushbike. Everything is just different and because of that they’re interesting and fun. I hired an absolute heap of a quad bike in Sicily once. It was horrendous, speed adjusted with a thumb shifter, huge vibrations and noise, a badly buckled wheel and it didn’t like turning left. I loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom