You couldn`t make it up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KennyN

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Me - BMW 440i Coupe / Dog -Cayenne
Whilst taking the dog for a walk earlier today i was approached by two kids who asked me if i knew anyone with two Huskies as there were two running around the area without an owner.

I didnt so i took our dog home , just in case, and i went searching for them. I caught one and held her on the lead whilst i called the SSPCA.

I asked them what i should do with this stray and was told that the dog warden only work Mon - Fri , 9 - 5 and to call the Police as they deal with the dogs out of hours.

Called 101 and asked them what to do with this animal .

" take it to the police station "

"i have no transport" , it wasnt going in the CLS.

"cant you walk"

"no , it is too far"

"you will have to wait until we can send a car"

"when will that be"

"dont know"

"do you expect me to stand in the street until you arrive as i cant take it home as we also have a dog"

"thats the best i can offer"

"thats no good as i have plans this evening"

Here is the best bit. "just let it go then" :eek:

"are you advising me to let a Husky run loose with children about close to a main road - seriously"

"yes"

Anyway , at that point my boy came home and i dropped it of at the local police station. There is still one roaming around somewhere :confused:

20170225_165357_zpsoepygszg.jpg

20170225_165144_zps938l2tqa.jpg

Kenny

Well, perhaps you know something about huskies that the operator didn't know.
We have a dog (a jack russell) and, while I always take it on a lead, I often see dogs roaming the countryside area where I live. If I saw a husky ambling along, I'd certainly wonder if it was lost, but it wouldn't occur to me to worry about kids and roads.
What is it that I, too, do not know?

Kenny

That looks to be a well groomed youngster. They are pack animals and usually very friendly. They have no concept of traffic and do get killed at an alarming rate by running into traffic.

They will live happily in the wild. It is likely they have escaped and are being searched for. But they should (by law) be chipped.

It is sad that those that could help chose not to.

There are various Husky Rescue Centers on Google who will help.

Where are you located.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Police are fooked, no money, no resources, just headless chickens pulled out trying to catch up after the event.

It is sad that those that could help chose not to.

That was my concern , maybe if the boss of the SSPCA "charity" wasn`t getting £220k pa as a wage then they could put more staff on the frontline to help animals outwith office hours.

Anyway , we just received a call from the local plod who informed us that the other dog had been handed in earlier , none were chipped, and their owner was picking them up directly so it all worked out well in the end.

I was talking to a woman who said the other dog had attacked a couple of other dogs before it was captured by concerned member of the public and taken to the police station, just lucky it wasn`t a kid playing in the street.

Kenny

Because of budget and manpower cuts, in some parts of the country, police no longer take in dogs found or even lost/found property. I believe the local council are required to take care of found dogs but I guess they too have had budget cuts.

I can't believe this nonsense. These dogs are amazing , how can they be hanging about like this.

I can't believe this nonsense. These dogs are amazing , how can they be hanging about like this.

It transpired that someone was walking them for the owner and let them off their lead and they just bolted , for three miles and ended up around here.

So what DO you do if you find a stray and you cant get it to the police station , SSPCA only pickup during office hours , police dont have the resources to be picking up strays and who do you phone at the council at the weekend ???

Kenny

Last edited:
KennyN said:
It transpired that someone was walking them for the owner and let them off their lead and they just bolted , for three miles and ended up around here. Kenny

Huskies should never ever be off the lead in open spaces. Especially if there is more than one. They will run. They are not "normally" aggressive but I'd attacked they will have a chomp.

I believe that if not chipped the police should be prosecuting the owner.

These are beautiful creatures. But they can live without humans. They are led by prey instinct. It is in their DNA.

Well done Kenny for taking control.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Had similar over 20 years ago.
Lived on a busy A road and a dirty black labrador wandered onto our drive. The dog had a collar so I tied it up and phoned police. They said I should put it in my car & take it to the local plod shop 6 miles away.
I said not possible as I didn't want a dirty unknown dog in my car. Plod said they would send someone but couldn't say when.
Fortunately an hour or so later owner appeared & reclaimed dog.

To the police officer that said let it go, how cruel and irresponsible. :mad:

I don't do social media, but in cases such as a lost dog, it is priceless.

Just before Christmas, I found the lovely dog in the pictures below.
Stood in the darkness at the side of the main Alderley Edge road with a look on its face that said " So, what happens next?"

She had a few fresh cuts and scrapes and I took her home, where she was well looked after by Bruce and Twiggy.

Mrs Ringway put a few images on facebook and called the local police station.
Within 45 minutes, the much relieved owner was at our front door with a bottle of plonk and off they went home. :thumb:

23rd%20December%202106%20001.jpg

23rd%20December%202106%2002.jpg

23rd%20December%202106%2003.jpg

It transpired that someone was walking them for the owner and let them off their lead and they just bolted , for three miles and ended up around here.
For the dog's sake, its a concern someone on the owner's side didn't call the police reporting they were lost. They had enough time, either the walker or owner. Neglecting the chipping as well, indicates this is not a responsible dog owner. I feel for those dogs. Lovely looking going husky.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Our Dalmatian would also bolt if you let her off the lead in public. - You could always get her to come back eventually, but not until she'd had a good run and chased a few birds.
I would have been really worried about her out on the streets on her own; not at all traffic smart, and likely to upset other dogs (although unlikely to bite people).

She was chipped, and loved being in a car more than escaping (so if she got out, she was quickly collected by opening the car door for her to get in).

We once saw another dog walking along the street on its own, and after first checking it wasn't ours, my wife shouted "go home". - It gave us a guilty look and started walking in the opposite direction; I like to think it did as told and was waiting by the owner's door when they opened it.

So here is my understanding, This is true in Kent but may vary in other parts of the UK.

The Police will not give any commitment to respond to "lost & found" dog calls. This is due to police resourcing and not being part of their contract with Government.

Now... If the animal is causing a danger (running in the road or chasing people etc) then this is likely to result in a police response!!

Council Dog Wardens: In Kent they are not 24x7x 365. Normally they are Mon - Fri - 09:00 - 05:00pm. As above this can vary if it is deemed an "emergency"

So as Kenny discovered you are at the mercy of Google - Facebook etc and your own circumstances. This is part why it is now law for all dogs to be chipped!!

Siberian Huskies (like the one Kenny found) are considered friendly to humans. They are big powerful dogs and their friendship can include knocking people over, but not biting. They will, when happy usually drop either one or both ears and curl their tails up over their backs. They like children as they are at their height, so they will also like adults who kneel to be at their height, it seen as "non-threatening" by the dog.

They are among the most stubborn of all dogs. That is confused by some as "stupid". WRONG. They are just stubborn. If you throw a stick? They will assume that you threw it as you didn't want it, so are unlikely to fetch it, unless they are bored, then they will do it to annoy you.

The rise in popularity and abandoned Huskies is being blamed on TV shows and movies that feature these dogs for their Wolf like appearance. So people get them, then realise that the reality is they need long walks ON A LEAD AT ALL TIMES, a big garden with SIX FOOT FENCING that cannot be tunneled under and access to the house when they want it, not when you want to allow it. They can and do HOWL and that can be very loud and funny for but not for the neighbours.

So. If you spot them loose. They probably have escaped. If you manage to catch them, they are friendly but if they do not have collar on, they will just flee again, do not try and hold onto them if they start to struggle. They will pull you over and may nip you.

Oh. If it is looking to be about 4 feet tall!! It is not husky. It is an escaped wolf. At that point all bets are off and you are on your own.

Enjoy.

To the police officer that said let it go, how cruel and irresponsible. :mad:

Very much so , you would think that with the press that dogs are receiving lately then there should be a plan B to deal with the situation we found ourselves in yesterday rather than telling me to just let it go.

I know all resources are tight throughout all organisations and it may "only" be an animal to some but if they had bitten a kid or caused a road accident then i would be a different story.

Kenny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom