You have £1m to spend on cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I remember when you could buy one and it's ugly nemesis for half a mil !

View attachment 106679
I guess at the time, most people would have been more familiar with it from this angle

2B4A5EE4-5F27-41AB-866D-3D0EC9C3D3F9.jpeg

Released to the public in 1986, the Porsche 959 was, at the time, the fastest car in the world with a top speed of 196mph (315kph) and a 0-62mph (0-100kph) sprint of 3.9 seconds.

Considering that was thirty four years ago, pretty impressive performance - despite the side on profile (I’m sure it’s function over form, but anyway!) :cool:

Lexus LFA - one currently for sale in UK £540k
Lamborghini Gallardo Performante Spider £105k - nice orange one on AT
Lamborghini Urus £180k used Blue with red interior
2015 AMG GTS Edition 1 £65k
2006 Aston Martin DB9 £30k
2007 Bentley Continental GTC £30k

keep my CLA45 Shooting Brake £20k
keep my Lancia kappa coupe 20vt £5k
keep my 1997 Lotus Elise S1 £10k

I like old cars so here is how i would squander my million quid...

BMW 2002 turbo in silver .....................£100,000
BMW 3.0 csl batmobile.........................£200,000
Mercedes 280 sl pagonda.....................£100,000
Aston Martin Lagonda (wedge)..............£50,000
Subaru Impreza group N rally car...........£100,000
Mercedes 516cdi sprinter motorhome...£100,000
Aston Martin V8 Vantage (1970's)...........£100,000
Delahaye 1939 135M Chapron coupe.....£250,000 (Glenmarch: AuctionCars)

I guess at the time, most people would have been more familiar with it from this angle

View attachment 106684

Considering that was thirty four years ago, pretty impressive performance - despite the side on profile (I’m sure it’s function over form, but anyway!) :cool:

Although ugly it's still my favourite car of all time. Bit like Brigitte Nielsen, fugly but you would though ;) Also the engineering was a bit special not that I cared much when I was 10

Lexus LFA - one currently for sale in UK £540k
Lamborghini Gallardo Performante Spider £105k - nice orange one on AT
Lamborghini Urus £180k used Blue with red interior
2015 AMG GTS Edition 1 £65k
2006 Aston Martin DB9 £30k
2007 Bentley Continental GTC £30k

keep my CLA45 Shooting Brake £20k
keep my Lancia kappa coupe 20vt £5k
keep my 1997 Lotus Elise S1 £10k
There are some Connoisseur’s choices in there, especially the LFA.

Everyone I know who has a Urus absolutely love them.

Wow you don’t mess about! I have to say my favourite of that lot is the Lagonda wedge, one of my all time favourite cars 👌🏻

Although ugly it's still my favourite car of all time. Bit like Brigitte Nielsen, fugly but you would though ;) Also the engineering was a bit special not that I cared much when I was 10
I’m a little over my fighting weight these days, but even when I was at my peak fitness I really wouldn’t feel comfortable being alone with Brig, she could duff me right up!

Wow you don’t mess about! I have to say my favourite of that lot is the Lagonda wedge, one of my all time favourite cars 👌🏻
It would have to be an AM Lagonda with the digital dash and touch sensitive buttons as well, even though they do not work very well apparently, Just for originality. Special cars for sure. Saw one as a kid in the 80's and it is a jaw dropping design.

Porsche Carrera GT - £450k
AMG GT R Roadster - £150k
Ferrari 812 Superfast - £200k
Porsche 911 997.2 GT3 (current) - £80k
FF S/C Range Rover - £85k
Toyota Yaris GR - £35k

Porsche Carrera GT - £450k
AMG GT R Roadster - £150k
Ferrari 812 Superfast - £200k
Porsche 911 997.2 GT3 (current) - £80k
FF S/C Range Rover - £85k
Toyota Yaris GR - £35k
Some excellent choices. I could love with that list myself 👌🏻

Ferrari Daytona
Citroen DS decap (ragtop)

If there's a bit left over a sorted 928 might find its way in, although a Range Rover (petrol) or Cayenne Turbo would come in useful for tip runs.

Last edited:

I had until not so many years ago :-
BMW 2000CS 1969 (rare)
BMW 3.0 CS (not lightweight)
BMW 3.0 Si x 3
BMW 3.0 SiL
FIAT 500 1972 (owned more than 25 years and 16,000mls)
OPEL MANTA 1972
MUSTANG 5.0 RHD
+ a few others all at the same time, all with a story to tell.
Unfortunately due to loss of storage at a very sad and low time in my life they all had to go, I don't think I got much more than £3k for them in desperation, in fact several I gave away. Todays value I could buy a small house. Sad.

Some nice cars on your list by the way.

BMW 2000CS 1969 (rare)
BMW 3.0 Si x 3
BMW 3.0 SiL
OPEL MANTA 1972
MUSTANG 5.0 RHD
Unfortunately due to loss of storage at a very sad and low time in my life they all had to go, I don't think I got much more than £3k for them in desperation, in fact several I gave away. Todays value I could buy a small house. Sad.

Wow, that’s quite a list - you’ve owned some incredible cars 👍🏻

It would have to be an AM Lagonda with the digital dash and touch sensitive buttons as well, even though they do not work very well apparently, Just for originality. Special cars for sure. Saw one as a kid in the 80's and it is a jaw dropping design.
A customer of mine in the 90's had many Astons including a Lagonda, a cannot remember the colour other than it was horrible, possibly brown, but recall it had gold door handles and trim. He owned a local company and they were his pension fund but used them occasionally.
He told me to only purchase ones which were original stamped DB cars (David Brown ?)
I wonder how his pension fund stacks up now, I would imagine it has paid out handsomely.

BMW 2000CS 1969 (rare)
BMW 3.0 Si x 3
BMW 3.0 SiL
OPEL MANTA 1972
MUSTANG 5.0 RHD

BMW used to make wonderful cars, but boy did they like to rust. I never made it past the 2002's model wise (owned 3 of them) but always lusted after the CS coupes from the 70's. Good cars to learn how to deal with oversteer. Stunning cars imho.

BMW used to make wonderful cars, but boy did they like to rust. I never made it past the 2002's model wise (owned 3 of them) but always lusted after the CS coupes from the 70's. Good cars to learn how to deal with oversteer. Stunning cars imho.
Spent many hours with worms and bearings rebuilding steering boxes in the past, the early 3.0 had more power but suffered a lot with cracked head/valve seat problems and injection hoses had a tendency to give up causing engine fires.
Many smiles per mile though.

View attachment 106684

In the days of the Berlin Wall I was taking some very early PC gear from Nuremburg to Berlin via Hoff (the southern gateway through East Germany). It was very late at night/early morning and the road from Nuremburg was virtually empty and my Ford Cortina estate was fully loaded and flat out at about 95mph. In the pitch black I became aware of a pair of heaadlights coming up quickly behind me and kept close watch as they closed in. Two 959s went past in close company - they were howling as they went by and I would imagine pretty close to flat out. I had never seen anything moving that fast either on the road or on track!! It was a stupendous noise and experience. God knows where they went after they passed me, they were pretty close to the border by then with its mandatory check point and 50kph speed limit all the way up to Berlin ..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom