You think Mercedes parts and repairs are expensive??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.saunders

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E300TD
Well, the Ford has some issues, poorly thing, so popped it into the local dealer for a check up:

The Air Con has failed and despite a pressure check and regas (and my assertion the compressor has failed) they finally admitted the compressor has failed :mad:

New compressor £699.11

They helpfully advised the rear pads are low and the handbrake cables are keeping them on (stretched I assume, or not disengaging):

New pads £135.08
Handbrake £199.37

I asked about changing the fuel filter whilst it was in:

£80.96

And they pointed out my front tyres need renewing (which I know they do, but have 2 new tyres lined up for my friendly fitter mate), but Ford's charge:

£249.48

Grand total: £1364

Are they fitted costs or parts supply only?

Probably working on about £70 per hour and the genuine parts aren't as cheap as they were, but then they don't use dog buscuits for brake pads anymore either..

Stretched hand brake cables cannot keep the brake shoe/pads in contact , as the opposite is true, linkages needing lubrication would fit better.

That AC compressor is relatively cheap, I have a reciept in my service history for the C43 AMG for an AC pump for over £1000.

That AC compressor is relatively cheap, I have a reciept in my service history for the C43 AMG for an AC pump for over £1000.

Ouch!

I've had a quote from an air con chappie for £200+vat for supply; gonna quote me a refit plus regas, oil etc etc, but I would assume it's gonna be somewhat lower than Ford.

My bro has already said he'd do the brakes, my friend the tyres, plus all round balancing for a few quid/beers etc. I'll forget the fuel filter for now until DM gets me some spanners

Happy days :rock:

Now is the time to sell it then, it would not alter the trade in price, how about a nice little MB

Must confess, it has made me think, but believe it or not I actually like the car (Mondeo) :eek:

Significant boss man at home says to keep it; new Merc will be coming one day, I promise :bannana:

Ouch!

I've had a quote from an air con chappie for £200+vat for supply; gonna quote me a refit plus regas, oil etc etc, but I would assume it's gonna be somewhat lower than Ford.

My bro has already said he'd do the brakes, my friend the tyres, plus all round balancing for a few quid/beers etc. I'll forget the fuel filter for now until DM gets me some spanners

Happy days :rock:

There are firms out there that recon the pumps, and nothing wrong with them.

You will only need a strap wrench or 1 spanner for the oil filter, and cant we spread this out over birthdays as well.

Your local Motor factor will have all of the brake bits and the filter at trade prices and OE to your car

Oh I'm not worried about the oil filter; it's the fuel one I wanted changing, as I understand that can be a little tricky, even Haynes give it 3 spanners :D :D

Grand total: £1364

That's almost exactly what MB Lakeside charged when my E220 went in for an 'A' service last month, excluding VAT! They did do a few extras, but even so!! Luckily, the VW Dealer that was selling me the car paid for it. :) VW also fitted 4 new tyres, so that was over £2,000 I saved by insisting that the car be sold in "showroom-ready condition". (I knew those negotiation skills would come in handy one day.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom