You will NOT believe the conclusion to this story!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

Sorry for the long post but the details are important.

A couple of weeks ago my 70+ year old parents got broken into at their home (bungalow) in Manchester. At 2am my mum wakes to hear noises coming from the kitchen. She assumes it's dad rummaging around for tablets (they sleep separately) and goes to see. She turns the light on to see a young man in the conservatory that backs onto the kitchen. Having already broken into the conservatory he is attempting to break into the kitchen (the old back door). She gives him the verbal (very brave me thinks) and tells him to go away.

Mum said after a few seconds he fled. She phones 999. Within 5 minutes police are there. 10 minutes later more arrive with sniffer dogs. (big field backing onto house) 30 minutes later forensics turn up. Fair amount of blood on the conservatory floor. (Great service from the police so far :thumb:)

It seems the guy first broke into their car, then the garage. He loaded up the car with dads tools (to the brim) and was breaking into the house for the car keys!

The police then arranged for a company to come out to mum and dad to put a temporary fix on the doors to make the house safe for the night. My parents say the police were amazing. All good up to now.

2 days later they got a visit from two detectives. They managed to trace the guy from the blood and told my parents he lived about 1 mile from their house. They said they was going to drag him out of bed early the next morning. They left and said they'd be in touch.

This is where it goes pear shaped. :(

I've just spoken to mum.

Today my dad phoned one of the detectives because they have heard nothing. APPARENTLY they did drag him out of bed and took him in (along with the guys mother) his Alibi was:

He was walking home on the said night from a party near parents house and he heard noise from around the back. He went to investigate and caught two lads breaking in. They pushed him and he cut his hand and the two lads ran off. He tried to knock mum and dad up but gave up and went home. The mother backed her sons story up.

Dad asked the detective what happens now. "Nothing Mr B*****," was the reply, "it was a very convincing alibi" case closed.

I'm not sure why the police are protecting this scumbag but there is something amiss.

I'm fuming about it all and want to pursue the matter. My 70+ year old mum & dad are too scared to make a fuss.

Now I'm no hard man, however I know plenty of nutters in the area that could track this guy down for a modest sum.

My heart is torn as dad's begging me to let it go.

Such an injustice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crikey, that is unbelievable, but sadly not a shock in society these days. What I'm struggling with is that you mum saw this burglar in the act, who admits to being there, blood there too, so the police know he was there, burglar's mother was not there, so it's his "word" against your mum's and they give him the benefit of the doubt!#&+!? And given that the police had said they had his dna and they were going to haul burglar out of bed in the morning, gives the impression he's not exactly an upstanding member of the community.
I can only guess they thought he'd get off in court because his mother lied and they couldn't prove it, so they thought arresting him wouldn't be worth it. The greedy little cowardly toe-rag must be laughing at the police and planning his outing. Scumbag.

Sorry to hear this Happy. I hope it ends well for you and your parents.

I know it's really hard to take but retribution doesn't normally end well. This scumbag is going to suffer in life somehow. Best thing, in my opinion, is spend all your energy in looking after your parents and making their place as safe as you can from burglars.

Last edited:
Shocking that they don't believe that a jury would not see through that without reasonable doubt.

Taking it into your own hands could just escalate into a return visit to your parents. Could you live with something like that happening?

Better option is to increase the security with some CCTV I would suggest to deter any such return.

Ask for his address as you would like to thank him personally for being such a kind , caring and observant pillar of the community.

Once you have the required info then you can do the right thing :devil:, and keep quiet about it with only an occasional wry smile safe in the knowledge that your good deed has fully expressed your gratutude.

Kenny

Last edited:
This is actually a fairly well used defense!!

Career burglars use it regularly and Plod know this. One of my golf partners is a defense counsel and recently had an identical case in Rochester. His chap stated in court he was walking past when he spotted some dodgy looking sorts running out a house. Keen to prove that he had turned over a new leaf!!! he went to investigate, cutting his hand as he did so. He climbed into the house to try to warn to occupants etc. Case dismissed.

My neighbour on having his garden shed burgled and a load of power tools stolen, found a known burglars dole card lying in his shed. Burglar claimed it must have been planted by an enemy. Police took no further action.

I wish your parents well and hope that they are okay and able to get over this.

Last edited:
Got to agree with the above. Although retribution is something to consider, the downside could be more problems for your parents.

Were the tools loaded into the car dusted for prints?

Best thing, in my opinion, is spend all your energy in looking after your parents and making their place as safe as you can from burglars.

Better option is to increase the security with some CCTV I would suggest to deter any such return.

Yes, they've since upgraded the alarm system & had new doors fitted.

A better solution would be to get them moved up here to Scotland with us in this quiet little village but they say they're too old to move. :(

It's the first time I've ever felt guilty moving up here. Not being there for them at such a time leaves me riddled with guilt.

It was only 10 months ago my dad had a leg amputated. They're having a bad time lately. :wallbash:

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a complaint in to the police and write to your MP, police hate too many investigations, they also have to justify their actions.

It may be the Crown Prosecution service backing off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got to agree with the above. Although retribution is something to consider, the downside could be more problems for your parents.

Were the tools loaded into the car dusted for prints?

Thanks Rodger. I know I'm being stupid wanting revenge but I'm raging. (And that ain't usually my style)

No finger prints found. Just the blood.

Thanks Rodger. I know I'm being stupid wanting revenge but I'm raging. (And that ain't usually my style)

No finger prints found. Just the blood.

Its not stupid wanting revenge. I know exactly how you feel. It's a natural reaction, but probably best to follow your Dad's wishes and leave it. Hard as that may be.

Ant, I am so sorry you have had to deal with this, and even more sad for your parents. Years ago, would have been the year our son was eight ( we regularly went to a Scimitar camping thing that was on his birthday week, so that would be 24 years ago), we were coming home with our caravan and disturbed a burglar. Clearly he was not caught and a couple of years later he returned and was caught. Get your parents up to you Ant, if you can. I know they will not want to move, but encourage them?

Lisa

Going back a few years ago I knew someone who was having problems with the local village scum bag.
The scum had sprayed graffiti on the side of his house and just made a general pain in the **** of himself.
One afternoon the house owner was at home and happened to catch the scum climbing over the wall into the rear garden, made a citizens arrest and awaited for plod to arrive.
When they arrived Mr scum pulled out a tennis ball and claimed he had climbed the wall to get his tennis ball back that a mate had thrown over the wall.
Needless to say, scum walked away as no evidence he was upto no good.

Revenge is a dish best served cold - if you do go down that road although err on the side of caution as you don't want to make things worse.

As said, I think many would have the same reaction.

Sorry to read this Ant, as far as I know scumbags don't like Dog's, but may be a problem for your dad with his leg.

Did your mum not get a good look at him while he was breaking into the house?

Unless it is violent crime, the Police just aren't interested. In a minor collision with another vehicle (Door mirrors collided), two yobs got out and threatened me and my 70 year old mother. Calling 999 did no good whatsoever, with the Controller telling to 'Just exchange details'.

When you have two yobs obviously high on something threatening to smash your head in over a minor collision, it is bad, but considering that the entire event was caught on my dash cam made it worse, because when the Police did finally arrive at our home some hours later, they told me that there was very little they could do.

This story isn't about the violence we faced, but about that fact that the Police really don't care about crime. Or maybe it is because they are short staffed filling in all the forms they are required to submit these days? Our successive Governments have a lot to blame. Policing should be about that; Policing, and not about form filling.

I feel for you HT. The Police just don't seem to be able to protect us these days. As for your father's wishes. Do as he asks. If you were to teach this scum a lesson, and he retaliated by teaching your parents a lesson, you would not be able to live with yourself.

Really sorry to hear this & sorry your parents & you have had to go through all this.

I really don't get the desire from the Police to ignore this. It is like knowingly sending a loaded weapon back out into society knowing that another crime or likely multiple crimes are due to take place at any point.

How do they explain all these tools loaded up in the boot? Surely breaking & entering is breaking & entering regardless of any alibi. With so many people & cameras around I'm sure some basic detective work would disprove any alibi if it were false.

You can see why people take the law into their own hands sometimes if society is not protecting them. Don't get me wrong I don't condone this although I had thought about it and been close over the last year. It is not worth lowering yourself to those levels.

We are creating possibilities of Tony Martin style incidents & a crazy US way of thinking if we don't curb this kind of crime.

Very disappointing but unfortunately I'm not surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom