Your biggest automotive regret?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My biggest regret was not purchasing a White Mercedes 290GD G Wagon that I found of Cars and Classic a couple years ago. It was a South African RHD model with factory aircon. I'll never forgive myself for letting it go!

1. Not having a dehumidified, warm, garage - the size of a hangar.
2. Having to let any of them go. (Due to lack of funds) Inc the motorbikes.

All the cars & bikes I owned scratched an itch, or met needs at that moment, - I think the most exasperating was a V6 Espace (head gaskets, limp modes) but it was comfy & fun for all the kids stuff.

The bikes alone (which at the time probably totaled under a grand for the lot, would probably be worth £10k now!!) :rolleyes: who ever thought that £200 FS1E would be pushing £3k!

There’s a lot of love for Italians here! You could probably write a paper on the emotional attachment some folks have to Italian metal! saying that I persuaded my dad to get a 33 P4 (which I then took over). He loved it, but couldn’t put up with its foibles and bits falling off. I would say character, he would say shoddy build!

best trip I’ve done was for my 40th, we took the GTV V6 through Europe, via the Alfa factory. About 1800 miles. 9 countries in as many days! With my straight through exhaust and CDA induction some of the tunnels with the windows open were epic. We even got some thumbs up from other drivers!

If anyone gets the chance I would heartily recommend the Alfa museum. Words cannot describe it.

I’m sure the history of marques has a lot to do with my interest, and Mercedes for sure is the same.

Many years me & the mates went to the Alfa museum in Milan. 1983 or 4 i think. Back then there were no ropes or barriers. It was more like being in the pits at Goodwood. They were still campaigning the old competition cars in historic rallies an so on.

But, yes, the marque thing.

I got right into Minis, knew some people who'd build & competed in hot Mini's, bought Dave Vizard's "Modify your Mini" and built a right little pocket rocket.

Then I channeled Alfas for a number of years. Like, properly channeled :)

Then I started mining the NISMO thing with my 200SX's - the latter one ended up with a string of mods. It was more of a track-oriented car in the end. Fun but a bit silly for London.

Then I realised what I really wanted was a continent-bashing cruiser/family car in the form of an original C43 and I haven't looked back.

I don't miss my earlier cars as each one has added so much over the one before or has fitted whatever stage of life I've been in at the time.

Right now an MB Uber-Estate is what I need and want. It's been ferrying kids around this morning and has been to pick up a massive load of kiln-dried logs. Last weekend it was an airport express. Tomorrow it's going on a dump run. Currently planning a trip to Dorset and/or Wales later in the year. Whatever it does it's just so capable and I never get tired of hearing it fire up and feeling the slight rock from the torque-reversal of what in just about any other car is a ridiculously over-sized engine. The fact that you can also get it with a 6.2 or a 4.7tt is even funnier. Who said German engineers don't have a sense of humour?

Sorry, meant E46, was typinf from my phone. Same one my mate has and is about to supercharge. Lovely cars.

He must have a 330ci unless he has bored it out? They didn't do a 333ci unless that was another typo! :D

I once test-drove a supercharged 540i which Linden Special Vehicles did. It worked very well and was a nice alternative to an M3 whilst being lighter and producing a little more power.

I didn't have enough cash to buy it at the time and I suspect my insurance would have been interesting at the age I was then.

Be interesting to see what power he gets out the 330.

best trip I’ve done was for my 40th, we took the GTV V6 through Europe, via the Alfa factory. About 1800 miles. 9 countries in as many days! With my straight through exhaust and CDA induction some of the tunnels with the windows open were epic. We even got some thumbs up from other drivers!

That must have been amazing. The Busso is just such a tuneful engine even in standard form.

A lot of my love for particular cars comes from the sound they make. I can forgive a car a lot for a great sound and would NEVER buy something that was a great steer but sounded crap. The 200SX's were the only cars than sounded a bit dull. Not bad, just a bit humdrum. I was sorely tempted by a Golf VR6 (noise again) at the time but they didn't really handle.

In retrospect I might have been better off getting an E36 328i coupe instead of the 2nd one. That inline 6 noise is also world class. As is the Porshe flat 6, another epic engine.

Wow - a Dedra Turbo. Surely they were like hen's teeth? Did yours have that amazing Swiss Cheese dashboard?

My mate had a 1.6 Miriafiori (which was soon twin-cammed) followed by a Supermirafiori.

But one itch I never scratched was the Strada Abarth. To me, mechanically, it was the swansong for analogue Italian engineering. Small car, great interior, upgraded brakes and suspension, big engine, huge carbs. Road testers used to drool over them. After that the Golf GTI started taking over.

FWIW I thought the early GTI's were shit compared to the Italians. Appalling brakes, bouncy castle damping, drab interiors. Even the Mk2's, though much better, hardly set my pulse racing.

FWIW the two cars that turned my head at the time were the 205 1.9GTI and the Mk 1 MR2. They had the fizz and character of the Italians and moved the game on.
Yes! Dedras were very rare, even back then! I was really lucky to find it, it was a '91 and I got it in '93 through a FIAT/Lancia salesman I was friendly with who worked next door to the Ford eealership I worked at! He called me one morning saying "I've got one! A turbo! Do you want it?" I did and a few days later it was mine! The rest is history LOL!

Here are a couple of pics from one of the Dedra Consortium meets I arranged while at the LOC. Mine is J209XVX.. :)

img802 copy.jpg img801 copy.jpg

I took a test drive in one of these back in the eighties:

Screenshot-20200222-184404-Chrome.jpg

But sadly didn't buy it.

I’ve not owned many cars, but my BMW 635csi and I would have another CLS55 tomorrow and wish I had a garage to have locked it up and just kept it. My Saab 9-3 Sport wagon which I bought only 2 years old with 13k miles on the clock was some car, I had that before we started a family, it would be a keeper today.

I’ve owned two classic Minis, one a 100% near mint original ‘63 reg car and although I got great money for it and it’s at a great home with my good friend, again I’d have kept it if I had a garage. What a superb piece of British automative history/design they were/are.

In many years to come, I know already, the CLS will be the car I’d pick again and again and again.

I replaced it with the E63 which is a great car, but I doubt I’ll lust after another one and already I’m looking at replacing it after 2.5 years of ownership.

I’ve not owned many cars, but my BMW 635csi and I would have another CLS55 tomorrow and wish I had a garage to have locked it up and just kept it. My Saab 9-3 Sport wagon which I bought only 2 years old with 13k miles on the clock was some car, I had that before we started a family, it would be a keeper today.

I’ve owned two classic Minis, one a 100% near mint original ‘63 reg car and although I got great money for it and it’s at a great home with my good friend, again I’d have kept it if I had a garage. What a superb piece of British automative history/design they were/are.

In many years to come, I know already, the CLS will be the car I’d pick again and again and again.

I replaced it with the E63 which is a great car, but I doubt I’ll lust after another one and already I’m looking at replacing it after 2.5 years of ownership.

You've got to love a CLS55. Beautiful and barking.

Interior isn't bad either
View attachment 92685

Ah, now I’m not a fan of that interior colour. Although, I wouldn’t turn it down...

I seriously doubt I’ll ever own a better car pound for pound, it was my entry unto AMG and my first Mercedes and I’ve probably ruined my future car ownership for myself as nothing will ever compare, not even a Ferrari.

The minute I first saw it on Top Gear back in 2005 before I could even drive I told myself that’s my dream car and had to have one and I did for 4 marvellous years. I’ve promised myself I’ll have another one one day and I will.

I remember when it was snowing and taking my kids to school one morning, someone wrote “WOW” in the snow that had rested on the boot. A beautiful elegant car with tonnes of character in AMG form that was also a luxury limo type car at ease cruising. For me the best AMG variant car MB have ever made and a car that took them back to their beauty and the beast roots with added luxury and finesse. Beauty in design, a beast of an engine and the luxury of an S class with the handing of a grande cruiser or a hot hatch when pushed with supercar performance when slammed.

The CLS55 will always be my super car.

I upped the performance envelope with a dyno remap to 520bhp and 770nm plus speed limiter delete.
Here is Stig's fast lap on Top Gear:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I upped the performance envelope with a dyno remap to 520bhp and 770nm plus speed limiter delete.

Jeez that's mentally fast.

He must have a 330ci unless he has bored it out? They didn't do a 333ci unless that was another typo! :D

I once test-drove a supercharged 540i which Linden Special Vehicles did. It worked very well and was a nice alternative to an M3 whilst being lighter and producing a little more power.

I didn't have enough cash to buy it at the time and I suspect my insurance would have been interesting at the age I was then.

Be interesting to see what power he gets out the 330.

Yes, another typo. 330ci. Hid idea is to do something Alpina-like. Maybe 300bhp? But he's doing it more for the mid range that for outright top end.

Another mate of mine has an E60 5 Series that Alpina supercharged. It's a V8 so probably the 4.5. Very subtle & swift.

EDIT; it's a B5, one of these https://www.evo.co.uk/alpina/b5/6307/alpina-b5

Last edited:

Wow.

"THAT is a phenomenal car" to quote the big man.

Fabulous bit of footage. Clarkson also pointed out just how flat it was in the fast sweepers due to the air suspension. And that it sounded like Barry White chewing wasps. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom