Your car drifts left, what is the #1 criminal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheels-inmotion

Car
Daily hog is a Vectra
I have already generated a thread about the chassis side, which the mods/ admin kindly made a sticky here> http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheels-tyres/98176-definative-explination-pull-left.html But this is not the main reason why a car.... not just MB pulls/ drifts left?

What i would like to do here with my poor grammar construction is to help you define the pull so you have an option of how to resolve it without being done over?

Lets assume the car is mechanically sound.... and i hope it is! Then i offer three main reasons for a pull/ drift

1: Tyres
2: Uneven wear to the tyres
3: Incorrect chassis positions.

Number one here was tyres, why tyres you might think, even more since they are brand new?

To explain..... The tyres internal construction consists of radial metal wires, on top of this to be blunt is a radial tread.... The two during construction do not perfectly align every time. So the manufacture measures the lateral deflection and marks the tyres circumference with a coloured line ( normally red/ blue ) if the line is in the center of the tyre then there's no lateral deflection, the further the line moves to the sidewall the more violent the deflection.

So in essence the markings are fitting instructions for the tyre centre, do they know this "no"...... so here begins your quest.

A pneumatic drift is not a defect, you DO NOT need to replace the tyre/s, simply moving them will resolve the problem, if they are new then it's the tyre centres problem not yours.

Recently i was asked by a MB dealer in the UK to resolve a pulling problem on a car that had even been back to Germany or they would have to buy the car back!!!!..... Within an hour the problem proved to be a pneumatic drift and solved for £30.

Further reading
If you need pictures and so on they can be found here but you will need to register to see them> New Tyres and their Markings.... - Wheels-InMotion

Mods/ admin
My explanation denies profit and there's no advertising on the link displayed, nevertheless if i have overstepped the mark please delete the link.

Regards
Tony@ wim

Mine has always drifted to the left and now I have uneven (inner) tyre wear too, are you saying you can fix this? Thanks.

Mine has always drifted to the left and now I have uneven (inner) tyre wear too, are you saying you can fix this? Thanks.

If anyone can, Wheels in Motion can.

I was once told by a dealer that this is a design feature - it is to compensate for the camber on roads where they drive on the right. Good sales talk.

Wheels in motion can reduce or remove this 'feature' by tweaking the geometry slightly.

Having had it done myself, it makes for a much more relaxed drive.

Excellent thread revival, I had missed this...great explanation.

Yeah, I have been told that many times, so that if you should 'fall asleep' the car will run into the kerb. Not much use if you are in the overtaking lane????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom