Your experience with Metelli master cylinders?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HoustonBenz

Car
1982 300D Turbodiesel (It's a North American only model)
Hi guys, I'm a US Mercedes-Benz owner with a W123 1982 300D Turbodiesel.

My current master cylinder (004-430-23-01) is failing and I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new Metelli master cylinder. Until recently, I'd never heard of Metelli. I did a search and found out that they are an Italian firm, and have been supplying parts to the European market for years. I believe they are a relative newcomer to the US market, which would explain why I haven't heard of them until just now. Thus, I believe you guys would have more experience dealing with Metelli products than any US based Merc owner would.

What is the verdict on Metelli master cylinders? Are they sturdy products of high craftsmanship? Or should I run to the Ate brand master cylinder?

Thanks!

-Joseph

Or should I run to the Ate brand master cylinder?

If you are in ANY doubt, get the best. This is for your brakes not your HiFi, your paint job or your seat covers.

I can't find any informed opinion on Metelli.

RayH

METELLI are fairly big supplier of OEM and aftermarket parts in mainland Europe. Recently they appear to be extending into new markets so there may be GLOBAL areas where experience of their products are relatively new. Their production plants appear to be all based in Italy but nowadays its hard to tell. They also took over or amalgamated with the following companies which are again mainly European GRAF CIFAM and KWP

METELLI

I would be inclined to stay with ATE which is OEM to MERC.

How much is it?

Is there a part reference number for it?

How much is it?

Is there a part reference number for it?

The Merc part # is 004-430-09-01, which cross references to the Metelli # of 05-0138. The Metelli part is $50 USD. That alone had me initially questioning its quality & that's why I asked you guys about your experience with Metelli. I've seen instances where cheaper items have held up just as fine as their expensive counterparts, but Metelli vs. ATE may not be one of those instances. My gut instinct was to go with ATE since I know them, and after your input, I'm still going with ATE. I found a brand new ATE unit for $89 USD. Sure beats the dealership's price of $400+ USD for the same item. :thumb:

Last edited:
Yes, for 89 dollars thats a good deal, go for it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom