your first car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine was a Hillman Imp, I hand painted it and whilst drilling the wheel arches to put alli wheel arch extensions on I drilled straight through the wiring loom.
I didn’t learn, as my second car was another Imp.

First car was a 1970 Vauxhall Viva which I followed with a 1971 Cortina.

Blimey, you guys do make me feel old, my first car was a 1954 Vanguard, the model after the beetle back, loved it to bits, it even had a factory fitted radio, unheard of. 2 litre, did about 90, column shift, worth a lot now. :cool:

Land Rover SWB Series II.

Back to chassis replate, weld and underseal, along with engine rebuild - with help BUT this was my education into how to maintain vehicles using a Haynes manual.

1959 vintage Ford Anglia. Got the tuning bug and fitted a high lift camshaft and Cortina 1500 4 branch manifold.
Dropped its oil on the M3 coming home from London and seized the engine. Got myself a 998 Mini Cooper after that.

My first car was the 1937 Morris 8 Tourer, top right in the picture, I’m second from the right, in my school uniform, sat astride my Norton 350. This would be in 1964 or 65.

My sister gave me the Morris when it failed it’s MOT, but it was very easy to repair, (reflectors, and tightening up the steering)

I was in a ‘group’ (band) playing drums, which paid for the bike, and allowed me to run both. Drumming cost me my A-levels though.....🙁

Edit, FWIW, the other bikes are, from left, Triumph T20T Cub, and BSA C11G, the scooter is a Lambretta Li150

Attachments

• 2BBDE16E-D716-41B0-B09F-3C783646FB7E.jpeg
    2BBDE16E-D716-41B0-B09F-3C783646FB7E.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
My first car was the 1937 Morris 8 Tourer, top right in the picture, I’m second from the right, in my school uniform, sat astride my Norton 350. This would be in 1965.

My sister gave me the Morris when it failed it’s MOT, but it was very easy to repair, (reflectors, and tightening up the steering)

I was in a ‘group’ (band) playing drums, which paid for the bike, and allowed me to run both. Drumming cost me my A-levels though.....🙁
great memories though ! ))

Passed my test on Friday. Bought this for £95 on Saturday.
Drove it 250 miles to Liverpool on Sunday, where I used it for nine months as a daily driver on an internship at Metal Box Speke.

No mobile phones. Just brass neck (or Stupidity)

Sold it two years later for £95, after swopping some of the best bits to my next car. A lower mileage Renault Dauphine.

classic_and_sports_car_buyers_guide_renault_dauphine_WW_lead.png

Passed my test on Friday. Bought this for £95 on Saturday.
Drove it 250 miles to Liverpool on Sunday, where I used it for nine months as a daily driver on an internship at Metal Box Speke.

No mobile phones. Just brass neck (or Stupidity)

Sold it two years later for £95, after swopping some of the best bits to my next car. A lower mileage Renault Dauphine.

classic_and_sports_car_buyers_guide_renault_dauphine_WW_lead.png
like it ! used to drive all over the country in old wrecks and not even consider the implications of breaking down, dont leave the house now without my phone !!

My first car was the 1937 Morris 8 Tourer, top right in the picture, I’m second from the right, in my school uniform, sat astride my Norton 350. This would be in 1964 or 65.

Edit, FWIW, the other bikes are, from left, Triumph T20T Cub, and BSA C11G, the scooter is a Lambretta Li150
I had an Li150 in 1999.

First car I bought was a Vauxhall Viva HB, maroon colour.
Although second hand with 70,000 miles, I was impressed that the exhaust was not blowing any smoke. Weeks later I checked the oil level which was pretty low and topped it up.
This resulted in a smokescreen that followed me wherever I went. Soon learned to keep the oil level at minimum to avoid this happening.
A workmate used to ask to borrow it quite often to take his lady friend out, even though he was married, and eventually begged me to sell it to him. He wanted it to go on holiday with his wife but it broke down on the way there. After getting it recovered to his home, he was told it needed a new engine, not sure if there's a moral to that story?

My first car was a Vauxhall Vectra 2.0L SRI...... super powerful 140bhp car LOL :D...... I was 19 years old and kept spending and spending until i was happy with how the car looked inside and out.

I loved this car! I would go to VX meets and shows with it

I was one of the first ones to put the original Vectra C 19's alloys on a Vectra B.

I fitted a GSI front bumper but smoothed the bumper where the number plate went.

Cool louvered bonnet with a extension welded at the front to give it more aggressive look.

Xenons headlamps painted black inside

Irmscher top and bottom grill

Irmscher side skirts

Irmscher rear diffuser

Jewel rear lights

Roof spoiler

Boot spoiler

Heat reflective windscreen ( yes I changed the windscreen for the blue/purple look)

De baged the boot

Lowered on coilovers

Custom exhaust

Tinted windows

Inside it had Recaro leather seats and GSI steering wheel

Last thing I was going to do was fit a C20LET engine, 2.0l Turbo with a 6 speed manual gearbox, running 300+ bhp but on my way to pick up the engine, my father said, why not sell this car and buy something that has good power from factory?
That was it, I called the guy and said, I'm sorry, I won't be buying the engine as there's been a change of plans.
Car was sold after that and I got a BMW M3 E46.... a bit of a jump in power :D

Sorry for going on about it...... I still have love for this cars and if possible, i would like to buy an ST200 in white but they are super rare now.

This was the car once I finished with it

My dad set my brother and I a challenge to buy a car for under £1000 from a car auction. We had to be able to insure it in our early 20's. I bought a 1985 Vauxhall Cavalier mk2 1.6L, which was gutless! My brother bought a Mazda 626 which was nicer, but cost a bit more to sort out afterwards.

1964 mk1 cortina in goodwood green £100 but but but ....it only had a 1ltr engine ex anglia. Fortunately my dad was a magician with cars and taught me how to refurb it. First thing was to put a 1500 gt motor in it. I spent three years chasing rust on that one, but happy days indeed. I wish I knew how to post pics.

A white Renault 5 1.1 litre. Affectionately known as the molar as it looked like a tooth on wheels. Fond memories! I learnt to drive in a Mk1 Golf which I loved but my first ‘own’ car was the Renault.

My first car, bought in 1964 for £81 and without any assistance, was a 1954 Austin A40 Somerset in the same diarrhea colour as the one in the first picture. The 1200cc engine would power it to nearly 70mph in a time measured on a calendar.
CC4A1CE3-4A1E-49B6-A380-52CADDDE5082.jpeg

As a treat to myself on my18th birthday I bought a 1954 Jaguar Mk7 in British Racing Green for the princely sum of £64. The XK engine was fabulous until I decided to strip it down and blueprint it. Not the best engine to learn on without any training or manuals - certainly no YouTube back then! I had to scrap the car in the end :(
625BFC96-3E66-4827-AA6D-18AEC4AB8AC0.jpeg

5637E82E-090F-42C3-BCA5-84D0CA768BD0.jpegMy first car was an A40 Countryman like this. Constant battle to stop it falling apart, which I lost in the end.

My parents did have an input, they asked me to buy something safe, and with sensible insurance, but it was my choice.

I bought my first car shortly before my 17th birthday it was exactly 5 years old, and was a grey 1987 E Vauxhall Nova 1.3 SR.

Had I been able to choose any car then it would have been an Oak Green big-bumper Volkswagen Golf GTi 16v.

full

I had an Li150 in 1999.
I was one of the original scooter boys in 1966. TV175 followed by an SX200.
Yes, I went to Brighton beach for the mods v rockers skirmishes:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom