Your first Mercedes Purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stats007

MB Enthusiast
Car
575M
Apologies if this has been posted before - the search facility doesn't like words like first, your, what etc.

I just wondered how you all came into Mercedes ownership and what was your first car? My first MB I bought almost by accident. Having memories of an R107 SL in Hart to Hart - even with those US bumpers - I saw an ad for a white 350SL for £6k. I wasn't even looking for a car but suddenly thought how reasonable it seemed. A few months later and some 6 cars viewed I bought a 1972 350SL in metallic red with 90k miles on the clock. That was 2 years ago.

sl500_350sl.jpg

An old thread One-down-manship has a lot of this info.
Some of us have owned some real horrors in the past....
Both myself & Wifey are on our first MBs.

Last edited:
My first introduction into Mercedes-Benz ownership was with a 1986 190E!

Was so impressed with the quality of the marque that I bought a 1997 C200 to replace it. Have had not much other than MBs since (apart from a Lexus and a couple of temporary cars).

Currently have a 1997 C230 Kompressor but having a not-so-definate think about the options :)

Will

I had had two BMWs, the later of which I really liked. A fairly rare E30 shape 318iS.

However, when it came to moving on, I didn't really take a fancy to any of the BMW offerings - mostly because of the poor build qauality of the early E36s and how common they had become.

I had always liked the C-Class, mostly the rear, and when I saw this, I p/x'd before I had time to change my mind.

1998 C200 Sport

Attachments

• merc C200 Sport 3.jpg
    merc C200 Sport 3.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 509
Still have my 1st Merc, before that I had a Mk1 Mondeo GLX, before that my 1st car a 86' Honda Accord EX

A petrol blue 260E 1988 brand new. From memory it was about £25k with radio extra :D Now they are about the same price (E240) with all the whistles and bells. Quality must suffer somewhere me thinks. :(

Bought my first Merc years ago, 1986 190E. When I rang the number in the advert I was told that the gardener would show me the car! Sure enough, one owner, nice condition, silly cheap price and even met the lady of the house.
Next one I thought was a mis-print. E300-24v for £2500 (and this is going back a bit). The Doctor owner tells me he's selling because it only has four seats. A factory Sportline then! After I agree to buy it he tells me I can't have it till Friday because the advert said FSH and he felt obliged to give it one last service (which cost him £900).
Two years later I was having it serviced at an indy and another customer offers me £3000 for it and stupidly I sold it. It was a great car.
Next car will be R129 SL500 or SL60. None of the new stuff floats my boat.

My first Merc was my A160, great car to start with, and had 0 problems with it in 18 months, which is pretty much what got me hooked on Mercedes, along with the design of it.

CLK and ML and a few others after that.

PIC00022.JPG

PIC00028.JPG

Still onto my 1st mercedes.......a 190D ..........she's old but i love her to pieces :rock: :bannana:

Last edited:
I went to a garage to look at a Saab 9000 convertible( :eek: ) which turned out to be a bit of a shed. On the way out I noticed a silver '95 C230K sport with only 36000miles, full leather, electric seats etc for the same price as the Saab. When I found out it was much cheapness for insurance compared to anything else of a similar calibre I bought it!

Unfortunately it was written off in an accident and now I've got a '91 190E which runs just as well as the old 202.

First car was a 1048cc polo!!

I bought an E280 3 years ago - My first Mercedes! I loved the build quality and power, so 2 years later I wewnt ahead and bought an E500 ! Great cars! :D

Started of with my parents Mazda 323 1982 model hatchback :bannana: after 465.000 km and 19 years of fun i departed with it.
Then bought a 1991 Volvo 440. 110.000km Drove that for 3 years. Went to a Seat Inca SDI 2002 model (New) 60.000km for one and a half year. End of 2003 i Bought a New 130HP Seat Leon. Drove that for little more then a year and did 82.000KM with it. And Last Christmas i bought my first Mercedes a ML270 CDI With Automatic Gear box and Leather and so on...
drove 40.000km with is so far :rock:

mine was a 1987 "d" 190 in astral silver. I had the later slab side panels fitted, lowered and a nice set of alloys and rear heads fitted.This would have been 1992, so I was 24 and all my mates were driving xr3's or gti's but I wanted something abit different.I loved that car probably more than anything Id owned before or since.I think I had it about 3years,I even owned it while I worked as a sales man for a merc main dealer, I got a brand new car to drive but still didnt part with it.

my first MB was the only one I made money on ...

It was a 97R SLK 230K, new. Used it for 6 months, and sold it for £1000 profit. It was rare in those days. People slowed down on motorways to look, and came to talk to you in petrol stations. It was flat black (mistake!) with the light leather inserts.

I have lost money on every other MB since!

Needed a cheap car, and had always fancied the 190e 2.6. Looked online and found one!

Was looking for a big-engined "weekend car" that would fit on my drive, as an antidote to driving a people carrier most of the time. Wanted something that would hopefully start when I wanted, and not try to kill me at the first opportunity (that was TVR out on both counts!). R129 SL 500 seemed to be the answer, found a '97 with 42k miles and full M-B warranty ... so far so good :)

Mambo said:
First one is the C43 :D

Start low and work your way up ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom