Your first Mercedes Purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First Merc was a 95 C180 Sport. Wanted one really since I was 17. Just a case of waiting till I could afford one. A little old van i was driving around in droped a valve into the cylinder so was un economical to repair. Got an insurance quote for ths C180 was impressed and decided to buy it.

Really pleased with it spent almost 12 months modding and decided I had to have more power so I got myself the C43. Now on my second and so far so good.

I have bought my first and recent MB, a '94 C250Diesel a year ago with 78k. I have always fancied the mark and needed a diesel, so it was the ideal deal. Actually it is my 3rd car after a Lada and a Vauxhall Astra. My father has a 1985 190E, which was owned by my uncle since new, still running very good (160k) and shiny.

my first merc was a A160 w/ sequential box. was ok - bit 'mumsy' for me though ;)

My first experience of a merc was my fathers sl - 3 shapes ago (not sure of the code!) which i wish he still had now. Think it was a 500 but cant remember. Was gorgeous.

Since then the family mercs have been (with a few BMs, Porsches and bikes along the way) the following, and i have had the pleasure to drive most of them. yippee.

190E, E220 Coupe, SL 320, SL320, CLK320, E320 CDI, S500, SL55, CLS 500

Also been the M Roadster, 996 Carrera, X5, 997 Carrera S over the years.

Think i'm pretty much stuck on Mercs and Porsches. :) :D

Used to wash my neighbours 190D as a kid. He bought it new and put over 200,000 miles on it, driving it into London and back once or twice a day. Quality wise it knocked my old mans Rover into a cocked hat. Nothing rattled, no rust, very smooth once moving. Lovely car. The build quality was astonishingly good, very good.

Always had a soft spot for the R129 SL, now I'm living the dream.....

I opted out of my companys car scheme back in 2001 and bought my E Class. It had 41000 on the clock. Now has 147K. Aside from MAS and Air con condensor, nothing has failed, and its never let me down.

My first post here and my first MB as well. Well after 3 Porsches (944>968>Boxster) I've landed myself lovely W209 CLK 320 Avantgarde with all the trimmings. Bloody lovely thing it is too :) OK, not as sharp through the corners as the Box but thoroughly excellent in all other areas. Deeply impressed with it so far.

Best,

Steve

My list......so far:-

Here goes, in chronological order of ownership;

1) 1964 Autin Mini 850. Grey. (1976) England.
2) 1960 Humber Super Snipe Station Wagon Dark Grey/Light Grey. (1980) Rhodesia.
3) 1961 VW Kharman Ghia 1500. Light Blue. (1980) Zimbabwe.
4) 1976 Yamaha 180 Twin. Blue. (1981) Zimbabwe.
5) 1981 Honda CB750FB. Red. (1981) S. Africa.
6) 1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan. Beige. (1982) S. Africa.
7) 1976 Audi 100 Sedan. Maroon. (1982) S. Africa.
8) 1981 BMW 518 Sedan. Red. (1983) S. Africa.
9) 1969 Fiat 600. Yellow. (1983) Zim.
10) 1975 Mini 1275 GTS. Yellow. (1984) Zim.
11) 1975 Ford Granada 3.0 GLX. Sedan. Beige/Brown Vinyl Roof. (1985) Zim.
12) 1981 Honda CB900F. Red. (1985) Zim.
13) 1966 VW Microbus. Blue/White. (1985) Zim.
14) 1973 Kawasaki H2-A 750 2-stroke Tripple. Black/Gold. (1986) Zim.
15) 1960 Ford Anglia 105E. Sedan. Grey. (1987) Zim.
16) 1970 BMW 2000. Sedan. Lt. Green. (1989) Zim.
17) 1981 Suzuki Katana 750. Yellow/Blue. (1990) Zim.
18) 1985 Mercedes 200. Sedan. White. (1995) Zim. (AT LAST) !!!!
19) 1980 Mercedes W116 350se. Sedan. Met. Dk. Blue. (1997) S. Africa.
20) 1998 Toyota Avensis 1,8GLS. Hatch. Met. Blue. (2001) England.
21) 1988 Mercedes W124 300te. Met. Green. (2004) England.
22) 1990 Mercedes W126 560sel. Met. Black. (2004) England.
23) 1990 Mercedes W124 300ce. Met. Black. (2005) England.

(****) Date purchased.

This excudes numerous Company Cars I had.

Sorry it is so long, but once I started, it turned into a bit of an exercise.

Anyway, quite a mixture, don't you agree?

Cheers, Bill.

NB. Just thought I would mention, the only cars that gave me problems, or broke down were the VW Kharman Ghia (clutch) Fiat 600 (drive-shaft) & the 560sel (ECU).

No offence Bill, but the idea of the thread was to gain insight into a first Mercedes purchase - not your life history ;)

stats007 said:
No offence Bill, but the idea of the thread was to gain insight into a first Mercedes purchase - not your life history ;)

As we speak he's attaching interior and exterior images and full service histories of all the cars :D

Well, if you look carefully and concentrate hard, (no offence), it's there at number 18, you know, where it says 'AT LAST'.

And as you said yourself, and I quote 'I just wondered how you all came into Mercedes ownership and what was your first car? So I just listed my first & last showing how I came to own my first Merc.

Sorry, but you should be more precise as to what you posted, so you get the responses that you want other people to give, rather than their own view.

Cheers.....and 'Good-Night'............

It seems most people got the idea of the thread.. the title really says it all ;)

Hey , give the guy a break ...... whats wrong with everyone today ....

It doesn't matter if Bill posts a diary of what he's done every day of his life... its not hurting you so don't be so rude......

Probably to be expected of you Stats, but Gary, you should know better :(

It's not rude, and Howard keep your opinions to yourself please :D The idea was to find out what inspired people to buy their first Mercedes - not list a life's history - and like I said - no offence :eek:

I'm full of opinions and i'll post them if i wish as it is a public forum.... :D

You seem very opinionated yourself Stats , if i view back your previous postings, nearly everyone is derogatory in some way towards someone else or whatever they have posted , hence your negative rep points and your red marker (it might not mean much to most people but it is a good indication of someones character if they have some with so little posts) ..... so please don't lecture me on keeping my opinions to myself.

Bill's a new guy, as you were yourself not too long ago, so just try and be nice, its not difficult. :)

Howard said:
I'm full of opinions and i'll post them if i wish as it is a public forum.... :D

You seem very opinionated yourself Stats , if i view back your previous postings, nearly everyone is derogatory in some way towards someone else or whatever they have posted , hence your negative rep points and your red marker (it might not mean much to most people but it is a good indication of someones character if they have some with so little posts) ..... so please don't lecture me on keeping my opinions to myself.

Bill's a new guy, as you were yourself not too long ago, so just try and be nice, its not difficult. :)

Well said.

Howard said:

Here Here :D

Howard said:

Ditto.

It's actually very interesting to see what people drove before they joined the Merc clan and what they have now once they've left it. Triggers my own memories of previous cars.

I am being nice - the reply to Bill was tongue in cheek as obviously Culpano's was as well. Only you have taken it the wrong way and cast dispersion over our intentions, and for that I stand by my reply of you effectively 'poking your nose in'.

stats007 said:
I am being nice - the reply to Bill was tongue in cheek as obviously Culpano's was as well. Only you have taken it the wrong way and cast dispersion over our intentions, and for that I stand by my reply of you effectively 'poking your nose in'.
Sarcasm doesn't work easily on a forum, please try to use some smilies to indicate humour or otherwise. I know it sounds stupid but if everyone thinks you're obnoxious and you're really not then maybe they're misunderstanding you.

I just noticed that I've owned an MB for 4 years now :)

stats007 said:

Funny how so many people agree with me :rolleyes: (that's the smilie for sarcasm)

Hi Shude,

I did use a wink in my reply to Bill to try and indicate it was tongue-in-cheek - not much more I could have done :confused: Howard's misinterpretation has just lead to anonymous negative rep points - not that I buy into that system anyway - but if you disapprove - have the decency to stand by your opinion and make yourself known!

Howard - I would agree with you if I knew you hadn't got the wrong end of the stick :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom