Your FIVE favourite dishes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1.Fish and chips, thin batter, cooked in beef dripping.
2.Nasi Goreng
3.Large white fish done over charcoal with Nam Prik dressing
4.rib of beef
5. A proper fried breakfast

Chicken Naga curry
King prawn Naga curry
Sausage & cheesy/onion-garlic mash with gravy
Peking duck
Roast Goose

Fillet steak, chips & peppercorn sauce. Sometimes also mushrooms, sometimes also onion rings, iIm particularly fond of the M&S fresh onion rings.
Venison steaks with either dauphinoise potatoes, or cauliflower cheese and also some mixed veg.
Lasagne & chips. Either get Sainsburys taste the difference lasagne, or the Charlie Bighams lasagne.
M&S best ever chicken kiev & chips
A really good curry from either my local Nepalese place, or Indian The Nepalese place has a Jholilo Special Curry, which is a traditional Nepalese curry, I have it with lamb and it is absolutely delicious.
Which ever dish I get, we have either pilau rice, or keema rice and a garlic naan.

In fact I intend on getting from the Nepalese place tomorrow night.

Feck! I'm starving and its only 16:40

Last edited:
....or Tournados Rossini, french fries and onion rings! Used to be a restaurant near Hampton Court that did a fabulous one. It was called Louis’ and run by a Greek Cypriot family for several generations. They closed when the old man retired. It’s now a Thai.

Roast beef, Yorkshire pud etc
Pie and chips, mushy peas and gravy
Bread and butter pudding
Macaroni cheese
Gammon joint, new potatoes with cauliflower cheese.

Now you know why I’m the shape I am......🤫

Full English Breakfast
Liver onion gravy mashed potato and veg
Rib of Beef roast dinner
Lamb Roast dinner
Chicken Stir Fry with Sweet Chilli and Garlic

Sausage (Revetts butchers, Wickham Market), mash, spring greens, carrots & rich gravy with onion & mushrooms.
Chilli con carne (own recipe)
Steak, chips, peas, mushrooms, tomatoes, peas, onion rings, french mustard or pepper sauce.
Rack of lamb with all trimmings
Rib of beef with all trimmings

ok, that’s 5, but I need more.......

Full English ( or Scottish) breakfast
Rich medium curry (rogan josh/jalfriezie/or similar)
Fish & chips (Aldeburgh) eaten on the sea wall or in the pub garden next door with a pint of Ghost Ship
Fresh fish, mackerel/trout/bass/sprats/ etc
Paella
Duck

I could go on..................and on and on.............

And I thought everything was plant based these days. Not one vegan or vegetarian dish mentioned yet. There's hope for us all it appears.

Full English minus black pudding
Lamb Curry, traditional punjabi or pakistani style with chapatti. None of this commercial malarky
Battered cod and chips from chippy
Good quality donner meat in a tray with chips, chilli sauce and mayo. Usually turkish.
Home made Tandoori Chicken, lamb kebabs and fish pakoras. Not strictly as a meal or together but my favourites for a spread when family get together

Lamb Curry, traditional punjabi or pakistani style with chapatti. None of this commercial malarky
Good quality donner meat in a tray with chips, chilli sauce and mayo. Usually turkish.
Home made Tandoori Chicken, lamb kebabs and fish pakoras. Not strictly as a meal or together but my favourites for a spread when family get together
That is at least the second one I've seen - BPLM! (Black Pudding Lives Matter)

Not in no particular order
1: Gammon eggs chips crusty loaf the whole lot with butter

2: any roast dinner going with yorkies. Don't like duck.

3 any cut of steak preferably ribye as nice flavour. But a T bone will do nicely. With all the trimmings.

4. Most Currys as like all apart from the real hot 🔥 ****ers lol. All the trimmings and a few pints.

5 a full on Irish breakfast with " Black and White pudding" lol. With a fullpot of tea and a full crusty loaf.

Many more but if it was a life and death situation any of the above would do nicely 👍😉

That is at least the second one I've seen - BPLM! (Black Pudding Lives Matter)
Mrs Spiky wholly endorses that sentiment given her North of The Border origins. Me, not so. 🤢 Just give me extra Lorne Sausage instead 😋

Interesting to read grub favorites from Brits in Britain.
I suppose in a recent doctors appointment (annual check up ) I got talking to the transplanted Indian physician about Indian food, & healthy eating.
Then he asked where can you get the best Indian food? Me, pondering for an answer, he then answered his own question-Nottingham.
Then I retorted well what about Bradford & Gujarati local vegetarian dishes? Oh yes of course I was forgetting! Only British or people with British roots appreciate Indian food. Americans not so much!
Yes Doctor, here Its al Tex/Mex which looks like "pewk on a plate", and is nothing like real Mexican food. Each to his own I suppose

Pondering for a moment on world wide food selection as I have read on this forum is enormous, and deserves individual experimentation. Defiantly a division between home style or street food and finer dining.
Thinking about this for a moment, Arab inspired food , maybe a Jordanian style Khuba (street food) or a Moroccan Tangine. A Turk or Beiruti Meza with beers, and good company (thinking of a past Kuwati girlfriend here In a Beirut sojourn) .
What about large fresh sardines caught off the African coast and grilled over a wood fire served over a green salad & crusty Portuguese bread in a local haunt in Lisbon. Again served with beers.
Of course a paella or Salpicon de mariscos in Spain is "signature" seafront food watching the world go by experience , or tapas eaten a a string of local bars chatting with locals. then maybe lechon (roast suckling pig) as a main course for Sunday lunch.
Across the la--goon to the Americas, what takes some beating is pargo a la plancha (grilled red snapper, French fries & salad) that was swimming 15 minutes before it was presented in a rustic cabana beside the Boca Urchire in Venezuela with thousands of flamingos and cool breeze coming off the ocean. Life & food made simple .
How's about Argentinian red prawns or the same Brazilian style served in a hot sauce.
The full circle to North America and a cook out , Grilling grass fed steaks or better still wild meat, like buffalo (bison) venison, elk, whether served out back on the deck, on the 4th of July, watching fireworks or in a finer dining restaurant like one nearby where I/We live these days.
Basic American food is Brit food, again back to basics a prime rib roast at Christmas. Unbeatable.
Tuercas Viejas

A cook out on the lake in Idaho 4th of July , cool breezes, good company and fireworks
My missus of 25 years comes from this area and grew up on in the woods on the right side of the video in Sagle .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom