Your help in settling an argument

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswt

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C320cdi Sport, S-Max 2.0T Titanium Sport, 1974 Triumph Stag (needing restoration)
I’m having a argument/debate/discussion (in good spirit) with a my mate about the following situation and as with most arguments that actual core issue has been left behind along time time ago. Therefore I thought the best way to settle who’s right and who’s wrong is by asking some unbiased people what they think:

The names have been changed to protect the innocent and I wont tell you who I am or where I come into this situation!!

Peter and Paul decide to book a 10 bedroom holiday home for 3 days for their joint birthday celebrations (their birthdays could have been any time this year). Only 2 of the 10 rooms has an en-suite so the other 8 couples will have either twin or double rooms and share a couple of bathrooms. The total price of the hire of the house costs £1000 (theoretical cost only to make it easier to do the maths).

Question 1 – Who should have the 2 en-suite rooms?

Question 2 – How would you go about informing the other couples of your decision?

Question 3 – How should the cost of the holiday of each room be divided up between the couples (in theory rather than doing the maths)?

Question 4 – How would you tell people of your decisions or do you think it’s fair enough to assume that common sense should prevail and no one needs to be told?

I'll let you know where I stand and what the out come has been a little later on.

The easy/obvious answer - everyone pays £100 a room, the organisers and Birthday celebrators take the two en-suites (unless there are exceptional circumstances - elderly/disabled guests in the party for example?)

I don't see there's an issue otherwise. Surely there isn't a need to tell everyone this minor detail, that would create a potential issue that doesn't need to be created!

If you feel slightly guilty about taking the en-suites, maybe pay £120 for the en-suites or something, and let the others pay slightly less? (£95) :)

Or if everyone is arguing, why not book somewhere where all the rooms are en-suite ;)

All IMHO.

Will

If I had to, I'd go with Will's suggestion...

I have one (personal) caveat - I don't get the idea of everyone chipping in for a birthday celebration. If I want people to celebrate with me, I invite them and don't expect them to pay. Or, they are treating me which means I don't pay.

It may be a weird view, but it's how my circle of buds have operated over the years. for example, when organising stag does, we never expect the stag to pay. For birthday and anniversary bashes, we don't expect guests to pay (and we have done the house party thing). The only "exception" was a 25th anniversary last year where you had to pay for your own room if you wanted to stay over in the hotel, but as that was an optional extra.

Just arm wrestle for the best rooms.

£100 each but mention that you could only get two en-suites and the birthday people and organisors are getting those to prevent arguments (followed by a big smiley).

That way everyone knows the score up front (there will always be people who potentially can get huffy and it is only worse if you look like you are trying to hide something) but you make a bit of a joke about it so diminishing its significance.

Reasonable people will realise that not only is it "Peter and Paul's" birthday but they are also doing all the work of organising. Sadly "reasonable" and "people" are not always words that go together :rolleyes:

BTW I hope you are going to tell us YOUR feelings on this at the end of this thread!

BTW I hope you are going to tell us YOUR feelings on this at the end of this thread!

Definately, although I may wait until after lunch to see if I can grab the views of a few lunchtime forum surfers!!

Talking on the home front here I've never been a fan of en suite bathrooms & can't understand their huge popularity. I don't want to sleep that close to the room where I poo.

In answer to your question, draw straws.

Easy. Using a simple concept everybody understands (naked and shameless self interest) you bag one of the en suite rooms.

If the other birthday boy does the same then there is nothing left to argue about because you will be treating everybody equally badly :)

That way you will not have to even concern yourselves with trivial matters such as fairness and equality.

Job done. No need to make things more complex for youself.

Talking on the home front here I've never been a fan of en suite bathrooms & can't understand their huge popularity. I don't want to sleep that close to the room where I poo.

In answer to your question, draw straws.

I agree 100%
we are just animals and it may turn out to be quite unpleasent to go to bed in some kind heavy air. Fresheners just make it worse sometimes

I agree 100%
we are just animals and it may turn out to be quite unpleasent to go to bed in some kind heavy air. Fresheners just make it worse sometimes

But in a house sharing situation it's equally unplesant to sit on a seat warmed by someone elses backside and breath the air tainted by someone elses poo!!! :crazy:

But in a house sharing situation it's equally unplesant to sit on a seat warmed by someone elses backside and breath the air tainted by someone elses poo!!! :crazy:

yeah
you are right. But at least the seat is kept warm at all times....
just kidding.
When I was teenager or 20-ish I wasn't bothered it's going to be just 3 days

Give the ensuites to the two ugliest couples -- you don't want to walk into the bathroom on them.........:D

If you are expecting the others to pay their way, then I think the best thing to do is first come first served!,tell them all that there's only 2 en-suites and that whoever arrives last gets the last pick of the rooms. Then, tell them that you cant arrive at the house before 2pm, and then get there at 1.30!. Then your only crime is to have mistakenly given the wrong time...

Ignore all the others - I'd make everyone else pay for the birthday people in their share of the cost of their own rooms and nab the two rooms with en-suites for the birthday boys too. :D :D

(in all seriousness I would say the birthday people get to have the en-suites anyway because it's their birthday treat - the others would see that point of view I am sure. I'd make everyone pay equally for their rooms too)

As others, £100 each and organisers and birthday people get the En-Suites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom