Your lockdown mileage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like some others, I'm still working as normal, so 59.5 miles (includes a special trip to get Easter eggs for staff, so higher than would otherwise have been the case).

Last edited:
I am going to slightly hijack this post - it is mileage related - bear with me please. It is more about how much expensive fuel that I have NOT used and the bizarre way in which I came into possession of so much fuel BEFORE the price at the pumps went down.

All of this happened immediately before lock down.

• My scrappy old van : It has sat doing very little for years , I decided to tax and MOT it , use it during the spring to clear stuff from various properties then either scrap it or try and get a few quid for it. Out of the blue a mate of mine asked me to use the van to collect a few old motorbikes to add to his collection. On our return he offered me cash for the fuel used or to 'fill er up', I declined the cash and now have a van with a full tank of diesel that has not moved for months, and will probably not move for many months more. The tank of diesel has probably doubled the value of the van !

• C55 AMG . my mother asked to visit her sister and her terminally ill husband. We set a date , the day before the trip I filled the C55 up (just about get there and back on a tank) , my uncle took a 'turn' and the visit was postponed...and then lock down came. The C55 has done 35 miles since. - OK,that has burnt about one and a half gallons at least :p.

• SWMBO old Zafira . I am constantly harping on at her that when ever I jump in the thing (not often) the bloody thing is always on empty, so for ONCE in her life just to shut me up she filled it up ......a few days before lock down :doh:....done about 30 miles since.

• Our little Toyota Yaris 'run around' ....full tank, I always fill it up because the tank is small and it lasts for months. It will probably still have this fuel in it for Christmas shopping (if we can even go shopping by then) as it runs on fumes. about 10 miles since.
It does not end there. During a tidy up I lifted my Jerry can which was covered in cobwebs in the corner of an outbuilding only to find it is almost full of petrol ! when I filled it up ? I don't remember, but that will do for the lawnmower....:wallbash:

As you were.

check it isn’t 4 star in the can;)

Since lock down
- miles driven = 7
- miles walked = 74....

ML ? Or , if you don't really need a 4x4 , E Class Estate ?

Mercedes would be preferable, but tend to rust a bit too readily.
Each year I've thought each MOT would be the last for the Jeep, but it goes up on the ramps and no rust.
If I could get an R Class pre March 2006 for lower tax I'd be tempted, but very few were sold.

Volvo CX60 is on radar, as is Honda Accord with a petrol plant. Again not so easy as I / we would like many toys, heated seats being high on the list, that's not so common on 2008+ petrol. The petrol would hedge our bets on the ongoing attack of diesels and if eu4 would be ok for ULEZ.

But how justified is it for me to shop around for a replacement car for a key worker? The latest offers of pay now and we will deliver a an unseen car later 'aint going to happen for us.

Reactions: 219
Mercedes would be preferable, but tend to rust a bit too readily.
Each year I've thought each MOT would be the last for the Jeep, but it goes up on the ramps and no rust.
If I could get an R Class pre March 2006 for lower tax I'd be tempted, but very few were sold.

Volvo CX60 is on radar, as is Honda Accord with a petrol plant. Again not so easy as I / we would like many toys, heated seats being high on the list, that's not so common on 2008+ petrol. The petrol would hedge our bets on the ongoing attack of diesels and if eu4 would be ok for ULEZ.

But how justified is it for me to shop around for a replacement car for a key worker? The latest offers of pay now and we will deliver a an unseen car later 'aint going to happen for us.

Have a look on Jay's site - Mercland. He is a well trusted member of this forum and I've yet to hear a bad thing about the cars he sells. I've just done a deal on a S204 unseen (arrives next week) and I can be the biggest cynic out there! LOL

The Mini has hardly been used in the last 8 weeks, and the last time it had a decent run was when I took it up to the GTG at MB world on 8th March. The battery was getting lazy (it's the original one, and therefore getting on for 10 years old) and when Mrs. Gaz needed it for shopping a couple of weeks ago, surprise surprise it was flat as a pancake. Dead. Nada.

Fortunately, my friendly local garage is still operating, so after a quick phone call they despatched a couple of lads in the shop truck armed with a jump start pack and it fired into life. They took it away and brought it back a few hours later with a new battery and all has been well since, apart from my wallet being a couple of hundred lighter. I would imagine it's probably only done 10 miles in all that time.

I've only been out twice for urgent errands around town (prescriptions etc.) and taken the Beemer, bearing in mind the fact I don't fancy coughing up for another battery I've taken it out for a quick run on each occasion just to warm it through and make sure everything's charged up etc. Probably 20 miles each time so 40 miles in total.

On the plus side, the fuel bill has dropped to practically zero (I haven't filled up since February, I think, the BM has 3/4 of a tank in it and the Mini is still full), but it does mean I haven't seen the benefit of any of this cheap petrol I've been reading about..

Cheers,

Gaz

SLK 0 miles

CLK 20 miles perhaps. On the day lockdown was to be announced I decided as the CLK hadn't been out of the garage for 4 months it would probably be a good idea to give it some exercise. Needless to say the service light had just come on and now the dealers were to be closed. Never mind - only done 4000 miles since the last service 2 years ago. Its on a battery conditioner so started no problem. Still on the original 2003 battery.

124 Perhaps 100 miles doing essential food/medical bits

Orbea Orca road bike 707 miles. This has kept me sane in lockdown. Lovely quiet roads, good weather and scenery. There are some positives to come out of it all

My Merc has done a very small number of very local trips but is currently in use as a static log store on the drive.

My wife's Clio has seen a bit more action. But not much.

Haven't taken any notice of the mileage, but its less than 20 litres of fuel in a month so I'd estimate less than 80 miles which is more like a weeks worth of use.

Me and the mrs are still working . I'm enjoying my 8 mile thrash to work and 8 miles back each day. Regular thrashes to asda for essentials namely nuts and Guinness. Making full use of the £1.08 per litre of diesel.

Well 41 miles shopping and hospital visits for the missus, and 10 miles to drop it off for some remedial paint work on Monday, waiting to hear if it's ready, not that it's going to go on any great journeys when it comes back.

Probably about 6 or 7 miles in total but that includes an extended drive home from the chemist to shake down the car as it hadn't been driven in weeks

Under normal circumstances I only get to drive my car Friday to Sunday and once evey other month on a Monday or tuesday. So with the lockdown I drive to pickup fresh bread on Saturday.
Yep, instead of walking I drive down the road, pick up some bread and drive home. Total journey time 15 minutes max. And that's with taking the long direct route home. Otherwise the car
would be parked all the time. Last Saturday, I decided to do the shopping, so drove to my nearest humongous Sainsbury's bought a whole load of stuff of which I really only needed my
single malts and came home. Total time out of the house was 2 hours. I don't think the missus missed me. Oh, and filled up the tank as well. I think my sum total of mile in the last month is about
30 miles...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom