Your old car's mileage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mactech

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Porsche Macan S, BMW i3
I was just curious to see what some of my old car's mileages were after they had moved to new owners.
My cars with 05, 06, 07 reg had all done just over 100k miles now and seemed to have settled down to lives with under 10k miles a year according to the DVLA site.

This 07 plate C180K estate surprised me.
I bought it as a 'stop gap' car when I finished my term at Bentley and my 2 company cars had to be returned in early '15. It had 105k miles when I bought it and 125k miles when I sold it '17.
It's first owner was that loving Mr Avis....
I gave it a couple of tyres, an auto trans service and some new pads. But, including depreciation, my 2 years of ownership cost less than £1k.
3 years on and it's mileage is almost 250k:eek:
The first year seemed normal usage, but it has done almost 100k miles in the last 2 years. Someone is getting some very cost effective mileage from of this (rather nice!) car:)

DSC00830.jpeg

The only one of our old cars that might still survive is a 1981 MGB roadster. We sold it in 1986 with 14,000 on the clock. it passed an MOT in March 2017 at 95,000. Perhaps it is sitting somewhere now. It was a truly terrible vehicle. More faults than all our other cars combined. We usually keep ours a long time so its not too surprising none have survived. We last changed one 14 years ago. Current fleet is 14, 16 and 24 years old.

I owned a nice but high mileage (153k) 300CE for about 15 years, but didn't use it for the last three years, only to be mot'd. I sold it a few days before the mot was due in Nov 17 after being approached to sell, and I followed the buyer home, which was about 7 miles away. It was mot'd a few days later with 2 miles more than the previous mot, which was 5 miles away from where I'd stood the car after I'd had it tested previously.

I had a phone call several months later from someone viewing the car at auction. I was local, so met up with him. I also phoned my buyer, who had sold it on to someone else. The car sold at auction with a bad misfire after a difficult start, to an unknown party. The last mot was in Oct 18, at least three owners and 196 miles later. I'm looking forward to the next update.

I owned a nice but high mileage (153k) 300CE for about 15 years, but didn't use it for the last three years, only to be mot'd. I sold it a few days before the mot was due in Nov 17 after being approached to sell, and I followed the buyer home, which was about 7 miles away. It was mot'd a few days later with 2 miles more than the previous mot, which was 5 miles away from where I'd stood the car after I'd had it tested previously.

I had a phone call several months later from someone viewing the car at auction. I was local, so met up with him. I also phoned my buyer, who had sold it on to someone else. The car sold at auction with a bad misfire after a difficult start, to an unknown party. The last mot was in Oct 18, at least three owners and 196 miles later. I'm looking forward to the next update.
Some pretty heavy usage then the last few years!....not!
Bought a 5 year old motorcycle a couple of years ago which hadn't managed 2000 miles. I'm managing almost 10 times the mileage of the previous owner:dk:
It's amazing the different uses the very same vehicle gets put too.

About a year ago my sister in law wanted a replacement for her 8 year old Kia Picanto, found a 3 year old Picanto at a local main dealer , which had only covered 5300 miles and been serviced every year at the dealers.The previous owner traded it in for a new one. Must be Motobility or similar.

About a year ago my sister in law wanted a replacement for her 8 year old Kia Picanto, found a 3 year old Picanto at a local main dealer , which had only covered 5300 miles and been serviced every year at the dealers.The previous owner traded it in for a new one. Must be Motobility or similar.

In 2008 we bought for Mrs MJ a 2005 ex-motability Renault Senic II with 8,150 miles on the clock. We sold it in 2013 with 14,550 miles.

The car has been SORNed for some years now, a classic case of a car reaching the end of it service life due to depreciation well before the engine is anywhere near worn-out.

Earlier this year we bought for Mrs MJ a 2016 Suzuki Vitara with 8,500 miles on the clock.

I suspect that at some point in the (hopefully distant) future it will meet a similar faith as the Renault did.

My car was built in 1958. I bought it 12 years ago with 19k miles on. It’s now done 44k..
(Note to self: need to get out more)
Well you beat me... :)

We have in Italy a Toyota Previa that we bought new in 1997. It has 48,000 on the clock. I can't tell you if its Miles or KM because it was bought in Europe, converted to MPH, then converted back to KM....

Our 52 plate Jaaag has 88000 on the clock and has only done 3-3500 miles a year since about 2013.

54 plate Porsche has 47000 on it. Mileage last year was about 350.

2016 Dacia is in Skiathos with about 4000 miles on it.

I have driven approx 40 miles this year using the Jaaag 3 times. :) Ive cycled about 5000.

My car was built in 1958. I bought it 12 years ago with 19k miles on. It’s now done 44k..
(Note to self: need to get out more)
What is it? 19000 miles in 49 years is less than 400 each year! Or roughly 12-15 hours driving time! I reckon many lesser cars would have expired from lack of use...

Throughout my 20s I have had a number of hot hatches, a couple of which I still own but the one that people always commented on or which raised a smile was a VW Lupo Sport. It was only a 100bhp, 1.4 16v engine but this one had a few changes. Manifold, induction and exhaust equated to a genuine 117bhp (rocket ship!!) but it was also lowered 60mm on KW coilovers and just generally quite a fun little thing.

ufeksL3.jpg

The car's MOT has expired now so doubt it's still on the road which is a shame but considering I sold it with just shy of 40k on the clock, it's now on 110k.

It's had a colourful MOT history and someone did 19k in it in one year. That must have been the most uncomfortable, bone shaking 19,000 miles as despite how much fun it was, the ride quality was awful! haha

I sold a 2010 BMW 5 Series GT back in 2016 with just shy of 80,000 miles on it. When I checked it on the DVLA site it showed the MOT expired in May 2018 and had done over 70,000 miles in 2 years.

After googling the reg, I was surprised to find a picture of it sitting in St Petersburg with damage to the front bumper! Random or what?

I sold a 2010 BMW 5 Series GT back in 2016 with just shy of 80,000 miles on it. When I checked it on the DVLA site it showed the MOT expired in May 2018 and had done over 70,000 miles in 2 years.

After googling the reg, I was surprised to find a picture of it sitting in St Petersburg with damage to the front bumper! Random or what?

Old luxobarges never die, they just get shipped to developing countries with lower MOT requirements...?

Biglips bought my previous E500 in 2017 on something like 145k. Don't know if he still has it but someone put on another 18k-ish in the following 18 months.

So it's still being used properly.

Hopefully by a happy Biglips.

My first car - an imported 1995 v6 Mitsubishi FTO, only ever failed an MoT on handbrake (they were terrible when 100% lol) even tho it had a decat and apexi N1 exhaust (so loud).
Sold 8 years ago with a hole in the exhaust and zero else wrong - less than 110,000 km....didn’t even get MOTd two months later and sorned ever since :( waste of a great car

My mums 190e has “lost” about 30k somehow after we sold it back in 1996.

My mums 190e has “lost” about 30k somehow after we sold it back in 1996.

I part exed my previous E220 in September 2011 with just over 312k genuine miles on the clock, nearly all driven by me.

It was MOT'd again in December 2011 with 79,442 showing, and then disappeared off the face of the earth.

We bought a new Smart Convertible in Jersey in 2012 and PX for my wife's RAV4 at 4 years old with almost exactly 4K on the clock. Cost me £2 per mile in depreciation alone, I think my SLK 55 is proving cheaper to run!

The only one of our old cars that might still survive is a 1981 MGB roadster.

I thought production of the MGB ended in 1980 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom