Your opinion on buying CLK 200 (2009) A209

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With an older cheaper merc like the clk, you want to buy the very best example you can find. They are complicated cars (mainly the roof) which are now getting old. So the cost of fixing them becomes more than the car is worth. Spend a bit more and get one that is working and has no faults. Otherwise you’ll spend EUR5k on a cheap one and end up spending another EUR5k fixing it.

I have a showroom fresh 2008 CLK which has been pampered but it can still throw four figure maintenance bills!

pS the car you linked to is the desirable Sport spec which is the one to go for! But I’d be concerned about a high mileage noisy M271 engine. Personally I’d walk away!

As for the car.

I would walk away.

Price suspiciously low, possible engine issues (if not now then later) and needing a new roof correctly fitted.

With an older cheaper merc like the clk, you want to buy the very best example you can find. They are complicated cars (mainly the roof) which are now getting old. So the cost of fixing them becomes more than the car is worth. Spend a bit more and get one that is working and has no faults. Otherwise you’ll spend EUR5k on a cheap one and end up spending another EUR5k fixing it.

I have a showroom fresh 2008 CLK which has been pampered but it can still throw four figure maintenance bills!

pS the car you linked to is the desirable Sport spec which is the one to go for! But I’d be concerned about a high mileage noisy M271 engine. Personally I’d walk away!
I wouldn't class 120km as high mileage car? I would however walk away, having spent 6 months in Cyprus its quite good condition most cars are battered 🤣

If the Cypriot used car market is anything like the Greek used car market then nothing will surprise me.
It might surprise you even more hahaha

Don't just leave us hanging!

Tell us more 😂👍
Stupidly expensive.
A local pal of mine is a taxi driver with a W210. Not sure of the year but they stopped making them in 2003 and I reckon in the UK it’d be worth a grand tops.

He had a huge crash in it in 2016 with a Suzuki jeep and a tree, smashing the front end to pieces. It was back on the road a month later because it was too valuable to scrap!!

Should I still give it a try and go check ?
I wouldn’t bother , at that mileage you need to probably do work for £1500 anyway .
Unless they drop the price by £1500 for the chain , then another £1000+ (at least) for the roof I can’t see any deal

In the photos you can see that roof fabric is not looking very well, my biggest concern is that it will leak?
Only if you wash it with a hose. As for rain... last I was in Cyprus.... there wasn't much of it :D

I wouldn't class 120km as high mileage car? I would however walk away, having spent 6 months in Cyprus its quite good condition most cars are battered 🤣
I think 120km is the lowest mileage of this car in the whole island 🤣
For Cyprus, that's unbelievably great condition haha

Stupidly expensive.
A local pal of mine is a taxi driver with a W210. Not sure of the year but they stopped making them in 2003 and I reckon in the UK it’d be worth a grand tops.

He had a huge crash in it in 2016 with a Suzuki jeep and a tree, smashing the front end to pieces. It was back on the road a month later because it was too valuable to scrap!!
Hahahahaha, that sounds exactly like the Cypriot market 🤣, you can find cars that are not worth anything, selling for crazy expensive.
The idea here is that there is no market average, everyone sells the car with whichever price they think of.

I wouldn’t bother , at that mileage you need to probably do work for £1500 anyway .
Unless they drop the price by £1500 for the chain , then another £1000+ (at least) for the roof I can’t see any deal
You have been so helpful!
But why are you that certain that the chain will need that much? Like it has a problem in general
Im not doubting or questioning you, I just want to understand and have more knowledge :)

You have been so helpful!
But why are you that certain that the chain will need that much? Like it has a problem in general
Im not doubting or questioning you, I just want to understand and have more knowledge :)
To replace the chain and sprockets with genuine parts at a garage is £1500 . Unless you are sure that this has already been done then you really take a big risk by not doing it on this car (or any M271 engined car) . When you add the expensive roof repair as well , then what is the car worth ???

To replace the chain and sprockets with genuine parts at a garage is £1500 . Unless you are sure that this has already been done then you really take a big risk by not doing it on this car (or any M271 engined car) . When you add the expensive roof repair as well , then what is the car worth ???
Worth nothing :)
How can I know if they are changed or not?
And lets say I walked away from this car, what should I look for when I'm checking an another one?
Or should I just forget about the A209 in general?

Here is a link to the A209 cars in the market here so you guys can understand me and give me your opinion better :)

Don't just leave us hanging!

Tell us more 😂👍
Another example is the 2003 Suzuki Ignis that my mate had to cough up 3 large for last year!

He’s the guy that’s got an immaculate Evo 2 Integrale and a 1982 Alfasud in the U.K. so you can imagine how he feels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom