Your opinions please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
We're working with an electrical manufacturer (small electrical gadgets) looking for an effective way of promoting their products.

Cashback is very common and in use, but they want to stand out.

So the question is, when buying a small product like a camera, radio or headphones, what promotion could convince you to buy. (Let's assume you're torn between 2 almost identical products etc).

• A free accessory?
• 5 year warranty?
• Dedicated service/help support (like Amazon SOS)?
•*Big prize competition?

...or something else?

Thanks

If I was struggling to make up my mind over 2 similar products then I usually look for reviews (so maybe worth handing some out to industry magazines\reviewers), then it would probably come down to the longest warranty

A or free delivery if it's the choice between two similar prices.

Warranty or free accessory.

But I'm a grumpy old git. Younger fresher people may prefer bright colours or some sort of prize promotion.

For me - warranty.

Too many people promoting rubbish products on the back of marketing spin these days.

I saw a brilliant product on Saturday at the ideal Home Show in Glasgow. Googled it when I got home and could not believe just how cheap they were being sold for.

I'm seriously considering changing my light switches and sockets for these .....

Products | Trendi Switch

I have absolutely no affiliation to the above company or their products.

Warranty without a question.
I then dont even tend to doing much research on the product, knowing anything goes wrong, I can send it back and have it repaired / replaced.

Interesting responses. For me, I couldn't care about warranty. If a small appliance goes wrong, I just weigh up the hassle of proving purchase date, dealing with supplier etc etc....and will probably just move on. If it's a recent purchase I'd take/send it back to the store, but otherwise I'm unlikely to bother. So an extended warranty wouldn't do much for me.

What would? Price point and design/quality. Always happy to pay a bit more for something distinctive (and I guess Apple are proof of that concept!). So the suggestion above about reviews etc might be good...got to get it out there somehow.

A free accessory - provided that the accessory is

- packed with the item (ie no coupon to post off and wait for delivery)
- useful and probably something I would have bought with the item.

It might be an issue offering an accessory like this, as some retailers may feel you are eroding the potential for them to SELL the accessory…….

We're working with an electrical manufacturer (small electrical gadgets) looking for an effective way of promoting their products.

Cashback is very common and in use, but they want to stand out.

So the question is, when buying a small product like a camera, radio or headphones, what promotion could convince you to buy. (Let's assume you're torn between 2 almost identical products etc).

• A free accessory?
• 5 year warranty?
• Dedicated service/help support (like Amazon SOS)?
•*Big prize competition?

...or something else?

Thanks

Hmmm , could be various things , or a combination , and might depend what the product is .

A long time ago , I bought a Braun Flex Integral shaver , partly influenced by the prize draw to win a Porsche 911 . I never won the Porsche , but close to 30 years on I still have the shaver and use it daily .

When I bought a Gerber multi tool , I was influenced by unconditional lifetime warranty - a few years later when I broke the screwdriver bit by using it to lever open a tin of paint ( which I admitted to them ) I was delighted to receive a brand new tool , and told my friends .

With a camera , I could be influenced by bundled extra batteries , or memory cards ; then again a draw to win the chance of doing a photo shoot at an exotic location or with a famous supermodel could be both relevant to the product and good for publicity , as well as attracting buyers .

With something like a radio , warranty is probably the best thing , or a money back guarantee if not delighted - even if it is because reception is rubbish where you want to use it .

Headphones - ditto , although bundling iTunes vouchers to give you something to listen to on them , or a spare set of replaceable earmuffs could work . The reasons I bought my Sennheisser HD25s , apart from comfort , sound quality and fitness for purpose , included availability of every component part - again mine are 20+ years old and I still use them all the time ( having replaced the cable once and earmuffs a couple of times ) .

…..a draw to win the chance of doing a photo shoot at an exotic location or with a famous supermodel…..

I'll second that idea - it's a perfect competition prize for a camera.

Headphones - an apt prize could be concert tickets or a Meet & Greet with a famous artiste…….

Low value item: Price or freebie.

High value item: Warranty.

Warranty- assuming its worth what it says- why--- because its an expression of faith the manufacturer has in the quality of the product. Even on small items--- because viewed from the purchaser's side it may not be worth the hastle -- but from the manufacturers side if thousands of them fail prematurely it would cost them money. :dk:

Warranty for me too.

The John Lewis additional warranty has seen me buy lots of stuff there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom