Your perfect real-world fancy-pants garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
If you could design and build your perfect real-world fancy-pants garage, then what would it be like?

Or maybe you have already built a garage, and there are things that you would do again, or do differently next time.

Here are a few of my own thoughts to get things started, but I would really like to hear your ideas - photos and links encouraged!

• Just cars, no stuff - that goes elsewhere.
• Glass wall for glimpses of what’s inside.
• Dramatic mood lighting.
• Vaulted ceilings for visual drama.
• Vaulted ceilings to add car lifts if needed.
• Wide bays to open car doors fully.
• “Tool” bay with cabinets on wheels.
• “Wet” bay for washing under cover.
• Paved inside so the outside flows inside.
• Desk so I can work looking at cars.

I reserve the right to steal the best ideas! 😁

A small living area alongside!

And a bed

I recently saw a property for sale which appeared to be the garages for a larger house but which had been separated and sold as a house.

If I remember right there were 3 or 4 garage bays with living space above, and then 3 or 4 further car ports. All directly behind a bigger house!

I'd want some motoring related music, so a banging sound system that plays endless loops of Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain' and Propaganda's 'Duel' (if you remember the BBC's Top Gear Rally Report), 'On Days Like These' by Matt Monro and the 'Bullitt' theme.
But definitely not anything from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Nice and warm, good quality comfortable flooring, a big TV, seating area, 3 phase power for 22kW charging … basically a living room with space for cars :)

Nice and warm, good quality comfortable flooring, a big TV, seating area, 3 phase power for 22kW charging … basically a living room with space for cars :)
Like it!

For me it would be:
  1. Four post lift
  2. Parts cleaner and soda blast booth
  3. Endless supply of 10 and 13mm sockets and spanners
  4. Bezzera Eagle and M80 grinder
  5. Chocolate Oliver dispenser

Big
Canopy outside for covered apron, put my old school petrol pump out there
Wash bay under canopy with drainage
Ramp
Storage all down the walls
Sofa
Tv
Fridge
All the tackle and indy would have
Space for 4 vehicles then 2 more bays for my work stuff
Have a retro 50's style look to the exterior Shell themed with neon
lots of memorabilia and motoring signs and stuff

Big
Canopy outside for covered apron, put my old school petrol pump out there
Wash bay under canopy with drainage
Ramp
Storage all down the walls
Sofa
Tv
Fridge
All the tackle and indy would have
Space for 4 vehicles then 2 more bays for my work stuff
Have a retro 50's style look to the exterior Shell themed with neon
lots of memorabilia and motoring signs and stuff
Sounds fantastic; you should build it!

Well you would drive down the drive and you see a nice 2 story house, to the left there would be a driveway leading around and down behind the house, then around the back there is a row of garage doors with a big door in the middle, now these wouldnt be directly under the house as there would be an elevated garden sticking out the back of the house, so these garages would be under the garden, so you go in the big door and this would be the work space, there would be a short tunnel to get past the row of garages where it would open up to a cavernous area with underfloor heating, there would be a mixture of 4 and 2 post ramps, benches and tool boxes along the back wall with a welder, and all manner of tools, there would also be them cool car flag things and reg plates of my old cars on the wall as well as other cool memorabilia there would also be a sunken seat pit with a table in the middle and sofa like seating all the way around and a fridge for beers, there could be a bit more to elaborate on, but you get the basics. But in reality just a garage where i could walk around the car would do at the moment

Well you would drive down the drive and you see a nice 2 story house, to the left there would be a driveway leading around and down behind the house, then around the back there is a row of garage doors with a big door in the middle, now these wouldnt be directly under the house as there would be an elevated garden sticking out the back of the house, so these garages would be under the garden, so you go in the big door and this would be the work space, there would be a short tunnel to get past the row of garages where it would open up to a cavernous area with underfloor heating, there would be a mixture of 4 and 2 post ramps, benches and tool boxes along the back wall with a welder, and all manner of tools, there would also be them cool car flag things and reg plates of my old cars on the wall as well as other cool memorabilia there would also be a sunken seat pit with a table in the middle and sofa like seating all the way around and a fridge for beers, there could be a bit more to elaborate on, but you get the basics. But in reality just a garage where i could walk around the car would do at the moment
Now that is a serious garage!!

Wolfie, You missed out the Parking attendant & the chauffeur to take you up to the big house . If you are allowed to mention the scantily clad young ladies:oops:, then that as well:banana:otherwise we will call them mechanics.
Right, where has that bloody chauffeur gone:mad:

Wolfie, You missed out the Parking attendant & the chauffeur to take you up to the big house . If you are allowed to mention the scantily clad young ladies:oops:, then that as well:banana:otherwise we will call them mechanics.
Right, where has that bloody chauffeur gone:mad:
No need, there would have a nice set of stairs sweeping up from inside the garage leading into the house

Just as an aside, when we were looking to move house last year one of the ones we saw had a 10 car garage with 3 big roller shutter doors and all sorts of amenities ... turned out the guy who was selling it ran a racing team from there :thumb:

This is as close as I'm going to get at my age. Always wanted an open-barn type garage but never had the space until we moved out here. The part in the first pic. was built in 2008 and the part in the second pic, was added 2 years ago.

The room in the corner is the "workshop" as in it's full of the clutter normally found in garages plus the garden & building tools you need out here. Some day I'll clear it out. (I say that every year, though!)

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom