Your perfect real-world fancy-pants garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is as close as I'm going to get at my age. Always wanted an open-barn type garage but never had the space until we moved out here. The part in the first pic. was built in 2008 and the part in the second pic, was added 2 years ago.

The room in the corner is the "workshop" as in it's full of the clutter normally found in garages plus the garden & building tools you need out here. Some day I'll clear it out. (I say that every year, though

View attachment 126343
Are you John Prescott?

This is as close as I'm going to get at my age. Always wanted an open-barn type garage but never had the space until we moved out here. The part in the first pic. was built in 2008 and the part in the second pic, was added 2 years ago.

The room in the corner is the "workshop" as in it's full of the clutter normally found in garages plus the garden & building tools you need out here. Some day I'll clear it out. (I say that every year, though!)

View attachment 126342

View attachment 126343
Nice. How wide is the gap between the posts?

Nice. How wide is the gap between the posts?

Thanks - in the first pic it's 3m from edge to centre of post and between posts, so the 2 outer ones are 2.85m and the 2 inner ones are 2.7m. Total width is 12m, so hope the maths is correct. They're all 6m deep.

In the second pic it's much wider @ 15.5m ... the bay on the left is 4m and the other 3 are c. 3.8m each. I need to swap the wider cars over, but am currently running battery conditioners on extension leads in that part as I have yet to put in proper power points. Another job on the list! The winter wood is going in that left-hand bay - currently it's in with the Fiat.

Plus in the older part still have the redstarts which return every year to nest under the ridge and drop straw etc all over. No-one mentioned that when I decided to have an open design rather than enclosed!

Mrs Swotty has decreed that I can't buy another car unless there's a place for it, so one out and one in from here on. The Corvette is going but there is a tickover/stalling issue with it and I'll get that done before selling. Another job on the list! The car starts first time, every time, but the pressure on the fuel rail drops after a couple of minutes and she stalls. Have changed the fuel pump and the f.p. relay so I reckon the problem is after there. I won't sell it with any problem issues. It's a lovely car but just not for me. A bit too agricultural ... has all the toys but I don't enjoy driving it as much as I had hoped.

Thanks - in the first pic it's 3m from edge to centre of post and between posts, so the 2 outer ones are 2.85m and the 2 inner ones are 2.7m. Total width is 12m, so hope the maths is correct. They're all 6m deep.

In the second pic it's much wider @ 15.5m ... the bay on the left is 4m and the other 3 are c. 3.8m each. I need to swap the wider cars over, but am currently running battery conditioners on extension leads in that part as I have yet to put in proper power points. Another job on the list! The winter wood is going in that left-hand bay - currently it's in with the Fiat.

Plus in the older part still have the redstarts which return every year to nest under the ridge and drop straw etc all over. No-one mentioned that when I decided to have an open design rather than enclosed!

Mrs Swotty has decreed that I can't buy another car unless there's a place for it, so one out and one in from here on. The Corvette is going but there is a tickover/stalling issue with it and I'll get that done before selling. Another job on the list! The car starts first time, every time, but the pressure on the fuel rail drops after a couple of minutes and she stalls. Have changed the fuel pump and the f.p. relay so I reckon the problem is after there. I won't sell it with any problem issues. It's a lovely car but just not for me. A bit too agricultural ... has all the toys but I don't enjoy driving it as much as I had hoped.
That’s helpful, thank you. I’m considering the width of bays in a potential new garage, and have decided I want them to be wider than standard, but I’m not sure how much wider to make them. Currently thinking 3 metres, but not decided.

That’s helpful, thank you. I’m considering the width of bays in a potential new garage, and have decided I want them to be wider than standard, but I’m not sure how much wider to make them. Currently thinking 3 metres, but not decided.

Just as an aside, we recently moved from a house that had a detached double garage with twin doors to another with the same setup. I had assumed plain garages were a fairly standard size, but discovered after we moved in that the one at the new house is noticeably wider & longer. You can easily open the car doors towards the walls to get in / out, there's a big gap between the cars in the middle, and room for storage/shelving on the far wall. I think the door openings are taller than usual as well. I reckon I could get the Vito in, if necessary!

Capture.JPG

If you have room I'd go for 3m as a minimum and, as BTB 500 has just said, there's lots of room between 2 parked cars and the issue is with the walls. Getting 2 cars in a 6m wide garage should be fine and you'll soon find the arrangement which suits you.

I'd always intended to fix some of those swimming pool foam things to the wall/end of garage as door/bumper protection.

1651225445284.png

If you have room I'd go for 3m as a minimum and, as BTB 500 has just said, there's lots of room between 2 parked cars and the issue is with the walls. Getting 2 cars in a 6m wide garage should be fine and you'll soon find the arrangement which suits you.

I'd always intended to fix some of those swimming pool foam things to the wall/end of garage as door/bumper protection.

Just measured the interior of ours out of curiosity and it's 7m wide by 6m deep (and over 2m clearance on the doors, so the Vito would go in :)).

In my old garage I had a length of foam pipe lagging as an 'end stop' for the SL. Cheaper than a pool noodle :D

Just as an aside, we recently moved from a house that had a detached double garage with twin doors to another with the same setup. I had assumed plain garages were a fairly standard size, but discovered after we moved in that the one at the new house is noticeably wider & longer. You can easily open the car doors towards the walls to get in / out, there's a big gap between the cars in the middle, and room for storage/shelving on the far wall. I think the door openings are taller than usual as well. I reckon I could get the Vito in, if necessary!

View attachment 126376

UK garages are a joke ... we viewed a house once and it was a three car garage with a SINGLE large door - no pillars in between the spots - that was great (didn't get the house though) ..

Otherwise the regular ones are a joke ... our garage was so small, when I had a chip repaired in my wife's golf, it started to rain and he asked us to pull the front of the car into the garage. He had to go into the garage beforehand and was essentially trapped. The garage was 2.50m wide but that's from outside to outside edge ... now imagine brick width and front where the door is another column of bricks on either side for the door runners.

Who designs those should be slapped with a wet fish ...

UK garages are a joke ... we viewed a house once and it was a three car garage with a SINGLE large door - no pillars in between the spots - that was great (didn't get the house though) ..

Otherwise the regular ones are a joke ... our garage was so small, when I had a chip repaired in my wife's golf, it started to rain and he asked us to pull the front of the car into the garage. He had to go into the garage beforehand and was essentially trapped. The garage was 2.50m wide but that's from outside to outside edge ... now imagine brick width and front where the door is another column of bricks on either side for the door runners.

Yep when we were looking at houses in 2006 we rejected quite a few either because my R129 (not exactly a huge car) wouldn't clear the garage door pillars, or it would have been impossible to get out of the car once it was in!

So are parking spaces, cars have got bigger, spaces and garages havent updated to incorporate except lidl

Costco has big parking spaces too :thumb:

MIne would need a full time mechanic & and an expert detailer. I hate doing any work on cars.

So are parking spaces, cars have got bigger, spaces and garages havent updated to incorporate except lidl
The more cars you can cram into the parking area the greater the revenue......I don’t know how people with SUVs manage in multi stories, My wife’s B Class barely fits into the bays.

The more cars you can cram into the parking area the greater the revenue......I don’t know how people with SUVs manage in multi stories, My wife’s B Class barely fits into the bays.
By being very selective! Or not caring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom