Your suggestions for new dampers and springs for 230e

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IMD

Car
1997 SL500
Hi all,

I'm going to replace the suspension on my 1990 W124 230e as soon as I get a bit of spare cash. It currently has the uprated springs, which give it the higher ride height and is very hard, but bouncy...if that makes sense!

I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on two things:

1) The best springs / dampers if I want it to get the normal ride height and feel

2) The best combination is I want a slightly lowered set up.

If you have any suggestions for make of spring / dampers and where to source, I'd be very grateful.

I did pop into my Mercedes dealer the other day, but they said that they would only be able to supply me with the original fitment, which would mean the same uprated, higher ride height stuff, which I want to get away from! Are dealers only allowed to supply orignial fitments or was he being rather unhelpful?

Cheers

Ian

Just order the standard ones instead of the heavy duty ones.
The parts Guy is ordering off the VIN number so it comes back with the original HD ones number.

You need to check which you have and compare to the pressure specs on THIS page.

And HERE, although that shows with SLS. :confused:

Last edited:
SLS self-leveling suspension?

You probably have the uprated so called "heavy duty" suspension as Dieselman says.
The most comfortable suspension will be the standard set up with normal springs and shocks.
Mercedes took a lot of trouble when setting their suspension rates and there is a formula which works out the springs required by the equipment of the car. The obvious one is that a straight six engined diesel is going to require a different spring rate from a lighter 4 cylinder petrol engine, but Mercedes further refined this by taking into account things like air conditioning, sun roof, automatic transmission etc etc using a points system. Mercedes also introduced their Sportline suspension system of springs and shock absorbers which gave the cars a lowered ride height ( about 30/40mm??) and uprated the the system to give an approximately 25/30% stiffer ride. There is afurther refinement in that the springs sit on rubber cups (perches) of different thickness to permit fine tuning and levelling of the ride height. You need to find a MB parts man who is familiar in detail with these older systems[ not the one you have consulted already] and do a bit of further reading on this and other forums try doing a search on sportline suspension. HERE'S AN ARTICLE TO START YOU OFF. http://mercedesshop.com/sportline_suspension.htm

Last edited:
My suspension is heavy duty, similar to that seen in some W124 taxis abroad. My car was Uk registered but spent the first 3 years in Africa, so had heavy duty springs, low compression engine and sump guard. I just want a nice comfy ride, like my W124 estate!

I think I will consult my local independant, although he has a nasty habit of recommending Merc original equipment...no doubt its probabaly the best, but not the best price!

On another note...any suggestions for a new exhaust...I bought a cheapish GSF replacement last year and it sounds awful...loud and very tinny. Any reasonably priced alternatives, that don't sound bad!

Mercedes springs are normally very competatively priced. The smaller petrol engines use the lowest force springs.

SLS self-leveling suspension?

I was confused because the diagram showed SLS only rear setup..

If that is the case then the spheres are probably shot which will cause a hard bouncy ride.

I think Bilstein do kits which might be slightly cheaper than Merc bits. Most motorsport retailers can supply them but prices vary so it pays to shop around.;) You notice on the relevant make/model sections they have different points ratings like Merc so a good supplier should go over this with you when ordering
http://www.carparts-cat.com/webkat.asp?SID=0922331882158337018004&ROOT=1

Unless you are offroading I would remove the metal sump guard since its a pretty heavy item and will effect any front spring rating to a considerable extent. Replace it with the standard plastic composite undertray to retain car underfloor aerodynamics before you "spring rate" your new suspension would be my advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom