Your Thoughts On Alpine MDA-W900J.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

un1l

Car
CLK 230K
Guys,
My uncle has recently imported an MX5 with this head unit in, which i am pretty interested in
http://84.232.172.199/japan/mdaw900j.html

I currently run a single din Alpine CDA 9833r, do you guys think the double Din would look good in a merc or is it a bit too much?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Unil

The double din will fit in easily into your CLK W208 and should look orite too but be aware that it being a Japan model it may not tune into some of the UK radio stations as this has been the case with a lot of non EU head units.

In terms of fitting i know its fine, but its that model Alpine in particular; as I will probably be getting it on the cheap (if not for free).
I am just wondering what your opinion would be if you saw something like that in what is a 9 yr old merc?

You'll have to add a frequency expander to tune to UK stations, as stated previously. The other thing to bear in mind is that as this is a Japanese market stereo (ie for a country where you can leave things without some toerag pinching them), it won't have any security features such as a removable front panel, so it'll always be on view for all to see.

However, on the flipside Double DIN units are not prone to the same level of theft.

Most of the time they are bolted into the dash, so a total **** to remove and brute force is simply not going to work. It takes too long (with practice, I could remove the HU from my old Integra in around 5 mins), increasing the chances of being disturbed/caught, so scrote won't bother.

Equally, the resale market for them is comparatively small, and mostly found in newer vehicles, whose owners won't be buying it for £50 down the pub...making it even less worth the bother.

Hello

I don't think it suits the buttons or trim of your merc.

You can get some double din units that do look almost like command units, I've looked for my ML and they don't have to cost a fortune

Shouldn't be a problem regading stations I had an an import and you can buy the exspander gizmo.

Guys,
My uncle has recently imported an MX5 with this head unit in, which i am pretty interested in
http://84.232.172.199/japan/mdaw900j.html

I currently run a single din Alpine CDA 9833r, do you guys think the double Din would look good in a merc or is it a bit too much?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Unil

I have a Becker "Cascade Pro" 7941 for sale its only 11 months old complete boxed and in mint unmarked condition sales receipts still under warranty etc, i removed from 06 W203 and also comes with full C -Class Can-bus + steering wheel control interface this is i also believe compatible with your vehicle.

Best Regards.

Shouldn't be a problem regading stations I had an an import and you can buy the exspander gizmo.

Except that the frequency display won't be the one tuned to. i.e. radio will appear as 86.7 instead of 98.2 (numbers are just an example) also there wont be any RDS...

I bought my wife an imported mx5 many moons ago and it had the frequency expander fitted. Needless to say the first time I used the car I went out and bought a uk head unit to replace it.

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom