Your views on Jasper Blue? (Paint quality)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Busker

You views on Jasper Blue? (Paint quality)

Why did I (we) opt for Jasper blue. Hummph knowing what I know now I don't think I'd pick it again.

We didn't want silver. I personally think silver is best suited to the more sporty mercs. Ours is a lowly W203 and thinking of future resale values we hoped (still do) that a shiny blue car will sell perhaps better than lowly silver W203 come to trade in time. We shall see! What is it 75% of Mercs are silver and 95% are auto??

It didn't take too many weeks for a number of light scratches to appear. We have been ultra careful driving around the narrow lanes here but you can't help brush the odd bit of hedge. However I fail to believe the paint can be that soft and in addition we'd had AutoGlym LifeShine applied so I'd have thought this would have offered some level of protection.

I've also noticed what can only be described as clouding in some light. I mentioned this to the dealer who either didn't see the marks or chose not too. They are only really visible on the flat surfaces of the bonnet and boot. It is a lovely colour you can't help but stare at in when it's clean. I would love to understand whether these problems are apparent across all paint finishes, or is it just that dark colours are worst!! Should have picked silver after all. :) Or is it just our car? I love cleaning it - it's such a piece of engineering.

Perhaps MB knew all of this that's why they are bringing in the new toughened paint. Does anyone know how much this will cost?

Love to know your views and thanks for reading mine.

Cheers.

I like Jasper Blue - don't see too many that colour! Shame about the scratches . . . you would hope that this didn't happen, but perhaps it is just the top coat of lacquer that is scratched, and I'm sure there are some pretty decent products out there to polish out the light scratches.

Have a search in Bodywork for some suggestions.

If I could spec a car from new, I actually wouldn't choose Silver (shock horror colour boys ;) ;)). . . . it's just that I'm unlikely to be in that position in the near future ! If I was, I wouldn't be worried too much about the resale value - that's why my current car is silver !! :D Dark Metallic Navy blue would be my second choice for re-sale, closely followed by Black !

S.

Congratulations for going for a non silver car! Mine is Tansanite blue and I am so glad I chose this colour, it looks stunning when it is clean and polished and it is incredibly shiny (although you do need to clean more than the common silver)

Like you, I have found that the paint is very soft and is easy to scratch. It also picks up stonechips rather too easily for my liking. I believe this is due to the water based paints used nowadays for environmental reasons. I havent had any problems with the clouding you describe though.

Cheers, Robbo

Last edited:
My dads is blue and it shows up every little nick and scratch,I swear they use white under coat :crazy: The clouding Ive seen on red cars before I think its the same as your refering too,but not sure?

My dads is blue and it shows up every little nick and scratch,I swear they use white under coat

The undercoat is white on mine, you can see it on stonechips. Luckily the bodywork on mine is extremely good and I hope to keep it that way for as long as posssible.

jaymanek said:
Well i guess this wont be a problem from now with the nano particle clearcoat?

Jay

So are all MB dark metallic paint finishes soft? When does the new paint treatment become available on new cars and does anyone know how much it'll cost.

Seems a bit cheeky to charge for something which is basically essential on certain finishes. :(

The clearcoat is the same on all metallic colours. The nano technology is going to be standard on facelifted C class models

Busker said:
So are all MB dark metallic paint finishes soft? When does the new paint treatment become available on new cars and does anyone know how much it'll cost.

Seems a bit cheeky to charge for something which is basically essential on certain finishes. :(

As Robbo says, the nano particle paint is available on the w203 with the facelift, this is May 2004 for the C Coupe and Estate and July for the Saloon. It is apparently 40% more scratch resistant. If you are interested, you'll find plenty of links to it if you search on the web.

I've read threads on other Merc related forums where people say their paint is 'soft' and prone to scratching, so perhaps this has led to nano particle clearcoat?

cbenz said:
As Robbo says, the nano particle paint is available on the w203 with the facelift, this is May 2004 for the C Coupe and Estate and July for the Saloon. It is apparently 40% more scratch resistant. If you are interested, you'll find plenty of links to it if you search on the web.

I've read threads on other Merc related forums where people say their paint is 'soft' and prone to scratching, so perhaps this has led to nano particle clearcoat?

Thanks - you've answered my question. I'm glad I'm not alone I was beginning to feel anal about the paintwork but then as a virgo I guess I look for perfection in everything. If we're lucky enough to get another new one in 2.5 yrs time I will pick the colour even more carefully. Lesson learnt!!

Still after six months I love the thing. Going up north in a few weeks to 'Pammy' country, it'll be our first decent (ish) run. I can't wait.

Cheers people. :)

Its only my opinion - but Autoglym is a chalk based polish. It may give you a milky finish on the body work as a result. I had a tansanite blue CLK320 (2000 model) (two in fact) and after using Autoglym all the time, (every weekend the car would be cleaned and polished) I noticed the paintwork going what looked like white - especially in certain light conditions.

It might be my experiences only - so please don't be alarmed, but I've never used Autoglym since. I stick with Zymol - and I've never seen the same thing again. We now have a new 209 series CLK, which is in Iolith Blue and the paint is perfect amd we have now travelled 15,000 miles.

Clarky.

saorbust said:
Its only my opinion - but Autoglym is a chalk based polish. It may give you a milky finish on the body work as a result. I had a tansanite blue CLK320 (2000 model) (two in fact) and after using Autoglym all the time, (every weekend the car would be cleaned and polished) I noticed the paintwork going what looked like white - especially in certain light conditions.

It might be my experiences only - so please don't be alarmed, but I've never used Autoglym since. I stick with Zymol - and I've never seen the same thing again. We now have a new 209 series CLK, which is in Iolith Blue and the paint is perfect amd we have now travelled 15,000 miles.

Clarky.

OK - I'll keep this in mind as well thanks. Since we had it I've washed her every weekend (well OK I've missed 3) all with AutoGlym shampoo. The polish is due any time as the rain doesn't bead as well any more. I must admit at this point Diamondbrite is still my favourite. I haven't come across Zymol - but reading here people rate it.

Cheers

We also bought a Jasper Blue Merc from new (last Sept) so far so good, no blemishes to the paintwork and there are no scratches either. Mind you I am fanatical where I park, would rather park at the opposite end of the supermarket car parks and walk to the entrance than have have some tiny minded @hole bang their car doors into mine.
Have washed mines weekly using Mer shampoo then a further wash with a solution of Mer and the beading is still fantastic.

Mind you I am fanatical where I park, would rather park at the opposite end of the supermarket car parks and walk to the entrance than have have some tiny minded @hole bang their car doors into mine.

Glad I am not the only one. Have you noticed though that even if the car park is completely empty, there's always someone who decides they are going to park in the space right next to you :rolleyes:

Robbo said:
Glad I am not the only one. Have you noticed though that even if the car park is completely empty, there's always someone who decides they are going to park in the space right next to you :rolleyes:

Indeed! My other half thinks I'm mad for parking so far away, I often have to drop her off first!

Re : 'even if the car park is completely empty, there's always someone who decides they are going to park in the space right next to you ', I put this down to one of 3 things -

1) they are a complete @rse wipe and park next to you purposely banging their door on your car as they know this is what u r trying to avoid. Had this once about 10 yrs back.

2) they are curious of your car and want to have a look at it - fair play, but do me a favour and park in the next space but one.

3) the car acts as a babe magnet and they are all drawn to my car waiting for me to come back! I think not, I'll get me coat. :D

My worse scenario is - a couple with kids in a 4 door park next to you in the wind. The kids just fling the back doors open, bang on my car, the adult lets the front door go and the wind does the rest, bang on my car! They push past between the 2 cars, zips, buttons, handbags and toys scatching the paintwork. Jobdone, they go shopping, Grrrrrrr!

I'm getting more like Victor Meldrew everyday!!!!!

What is it about car parks - it's the sheep thing isn't it! We're lucky at the mo as our youngest is still in a child seat hence we park in the mother and toddler places ;)

Haven't quite mastered the art yet of parking in the corner diagonally across two spaces or slightly off centre. To really master this skill one has to occupy two spaces and make it look like it's bad parking. It's an art form!

While we're on the subject what about TAR SPOTS! :crazy: How even in the middle of winter does the car attract those? Mind you Jasper blue is good at hiding them. Until it's cleaning time.

After being PM'd I shall take the car into the stealer again and have another go regards the clouding. It's booked in next week to have them look at the boot. (See my post in General).

Cheers

Busker said:
What is it about car parks - it's the sheep thing isn't it! We're lucky at the mo as our youngest is still in a child seat hence we park in the mother and toddler places ;)
Gotta love the Parent & Child spots :) About the only reason I want to take my little 'un shopping with me, in fact ! :D :devil:

Busker said:
While we're on the subject what about TAR SPOTS! :crazy: How even in the middle of winter does the car attract those? Mind you Jasper blue is good at hiding them. Until it's cleaning time.

Cheers

Tearing up the road faster than any other boy has ever gone ,i can see his
:crazy: Oops lost the plot on this one thinking more of Meatloaf ,Bat out of Hell! but you can see my drift hehe in these powerful cars :D

Busker said:
Haven't quite mastered the art yet of parking in the corner diagonally across two spaces or slightly off centre. To really master this skill one has to occupy two spaces and make it look like it's bad parking. It's an art form!
You have met my wife then? :crazy: she gives lessons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom