You're mad to drive a Merc (I didn't say that...!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its all only opinion.
Nothing more or less.
I suppose it boils down to whether you buy a car for 360 days of the year, or for 5.
I know what gets my vote.

Nothing strange about it; it's pretty well defined (save for the aberration that was the Phaeton W12) and each brand has its own target market. But as a group, people who choose a Polo over a Fabia are essentially no different from those who choose a B Class over a Golf. Some will be doing so because the car better suits their needs, for any number of reasons, while others will do so mainly because they believe it will create a better impressions.

But this is my point; using your example of the Golf, why do people buy them? They dont just share the same platforms, they must share 80-90% DNA. The comparative Seat Leon is as good as exactly the same car yet the Golf costs far more to buy. I've had both in recently and could honestly say that the Seat was the 'better' car.

This is why Skoda drivers always seem so pleased with themselves, they have paid 2/3 of the price of an Audi, yet it is one in all but name.

Mercedes are not a good comparison because they don't sell the same cars but under a different name (and I include Chrysler in that :rolleyes:)

"Surely, EVERYBODY knows that NO-ONE with any sense will buy a Mercedes or BMW"...Smurk, smurk...

I really wouldn't raise to it.

Perhaps the one small nod I might give to it would be if you're in a fair size gathering to say "Sorry, I didn't catch that" so the people who didn't hear him the first time around, hear him say it. Everyone who hears will draw their own conclusiions and I doubt it will be that you have no sense.

But this is my point; using your example of the Golf, why do people buy them? They dont just share the same platforms, they must share 80-90% DNA. The comparative Seat Leon is as good as exactly the same car yet the Golf costs far more to buy. I've had both in recently and could honestly say that the Seat was the 'better' car.

This is why Skoda drivers always seem so pleased with themselves, they have paid 2/3 of the price of an Audi, yet it is one in all but name.

Mercedes are not a good comparison because they don't sell the same cars but under a different name (and I include Chrysler in that :rolleyes:)

I think you're assuming that everyone buys cars with their heads, whereas it can often be a much far emotive decision. For instance, I have no particular desire to buy a Chrysler Delta, yet if it were being sold with a Lancia badge, I'd be sorely tempted. Can't give a rational explanation for that, but while it's wearing a Chrysler badge I'll always regard it as a substandard product, and certainly not worthy of the £30,000+ prices they're asking for top-end models. And that is literally the same car with different badging, never mind just the platform.

There can also be rational considerations, though: differing residuals, loyalty to a decent dealership, preference for one design over another.

As much as I love my VW's

I'd rather have a Mercedes all year round.

Surely this is just a manifestation of badge snobbery, bit like designer jeans, any form of trousers perform the same function. My previous car, a Skoda was excellent, however it doesn't compare to the Mercedes. If you just want a functional four wheels they are good value.

Surely this is just a manifestation of badge snobbery, bit like designer jeans, any form of trousers perform the same function. My previous car, a Skoda was excellent, however it doesn't compare to the Mercedes. If you just want a functional four wheels they are good value.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that the Octavia probably does stand comparison with the C Class in most respects, on the basis that my Fabia is certainly worthy of comparison with (W168) A Class it indirectly replaced.

MOCAŠ said:
I'm going to stick my neck out and say that the Octavia probably does stand comparison with the C Class in most respects, on the basis that my Fabia is certainly worthy of comparison with (W168) A Class it indirectly replaced.

Because the octavia is larger and more spacious. My mate went and got a golf and he had one before. He wanted a larger car so thought passat. I recommended the octavia. He wouldn't entertain it. Reckoned the trim wasn't as nice but o beg to differ in my view its the nicer motor.

"Surely, EVERYBODY knows that NO-ONE with any sense will buy a Mercedes or BMW"...Smurk, smurk...

I would have retorted a cool-delivered:

"Yeah but the problem is if you don't, you have to put up with some dull old pile of shyte like a VW."

I would have retorted a cool-delivered:

"Yeah but the problem is if you don't, you have to put up with some dull old pile of shyte like a VW."

or you could try this derivative to a well known cricketing sledging line
"well your wife seems to like it"

Or .........

Have you not had the recall notice yet? It appears that (insert model of VW) have been overturning on motorways recently because of a problem with the front wheel drive system .........

I tried a Skoda Superb, before getting the Merc, just too much cabin noise I thought for what was supposed to be the top of the range. Loads of room though and comfortable.

BTW when you want to see your motor, PM me. Im after a C class wagon next time in sport and ideally a 250cdi or 350cdi.

Sorry I meant when he comes to sell. 1 too many ciders, not typing right.

Actually, sod buying it, thats soooooooooo 2010. I'll steal it, everyone is doing it ;):ban:

So, first you want to nick my car, then you want to buy it...!!

Seems as if your name is already on it...!

But no, this cannot be....EVERYONE knows that you are not partial to 7G, of which this is a stonking example (except in the snow, of course!) :dk:

You will be the first to know then when it is time for me to hand you the keys, but when I'm not sure. Major battle of the mind as to when I'll move on, and to what - anything from the new ML (maybe the current one even), an E, or a C Elegance.

Anyway, your new car has Comand, 4G HD, 6CD interchanger, power/memory leather seats, telephone pre-wiring, Xenons, power tailgate, 14,000 miles now, and the last time I looked was only worth a derisory 25 grand trade-in (probably much less by now).

Driven very conservatively and kept immaculate (well, i've told you how i like to impress the neighbours:D) I get 41 mpg on a run and I know you will do better!

But best of all - that 7G gearbox - I just know you're going to love it!:dk::dk:

Ah, VW. The peoples car. The company that began from a dictators idea of mass mobilisation, although he'd never be seen in anything less than a Benz. His only redeeming quality, oh and he was nice to his dog. Good enough for the working class I suppose.

P.S I've had lots of VW's! :)

Am sat in a hotel in Tallinn having caught a Skoda Superb taxi from airport. Got to admit very very impressed. Diesel auto - smooth and spacious.

I like Tallinn, stayed there for a long weekend a couple of years ago. Where are you staying? We stayed at the Tallink Hotel and Spa down by the ferry port, a nice hotel with some of the most vile carpets I've ever seen. Purple with orange swirls? Is this the 1970's?? :)

Cheers,

Gaz

I wonder why the VW chairman, when commissioning the phaeton, used Mercedes as the benchmark.

Now I am confused. :confused:
Hi, the Phaeton is VWs Flagship,nice car,I traded one in for my Mercedes.At the time the car was THREE YEARS OLD, I know a lot of Mercs have problems with rust,the Phaeton rusted through in THREE YEARS, why,because they (VW) used steel fastenings to pin the aluminium outer skin to the inner ?? they did this on the doors,sills,and god knows where else. This info might be of interest to your friend. Woody

We stayed at the Tallink Hotel and Spa down by the ferry port, a nice hotel with some of the most vile carpets I've ever seen.

I've stayed in a few placed in Tallinn, by far the most bizarre was the GoHotel Shnelli, next to the railway station. The carpet in the corridors had a railway tracks design.

As for the VW, well my next car is not likely to be a Mercedes, as their range from 2012 will no longer have anything that really suits what I am looking for; with the demise of the W169. The new B is just too big.

So, first you want to nick my car, then you want to buy it...!!

Seems as if your name is already on it...!

But no, this cannot be....EVERYONE knows that you are not partial to 7G, of which this is a stonking example (except in the snow, of course!) :dk:

You will be the first to know then when it is time for me to hand you the keys, but when I'm not sure. Major battle of the mind as to when I'll move on, and to what - anything from the new ML (maybe the current one even), an E, or a C Elegance.

Anyway, your new car has Comand, 4G HD, 6CD interchanger, power/memory leather seats, telephone pre-wiring, Xenons, power tailgate, 14,000 miles now, and the last time I looked was only worth a derisory 25 grand trade-in (probably much less by now).

Driven very conservatively and kept immaculate (well, i've told you how i like to impress the neighbours:D) I get 41 mpg on a run and I know you will do better!

But best of all - that 7G gearbox - I just know you're going to love it!
:dk::dk:

Mercedes have been on a turd polishing course. My new car may be the first 7g I am to drive that does not have shifting problems. I've put up with it for a year and driven a c320cdi saloon and considered to be "an adorable bundle of joy". My new car will be that, but faster and more spacious.

Its got bloody everything on it, the xenons, 6CD and pre wiring are particularly appealing to me.

41mpg!!!! Are you driving my baby too fast. :p:p:p:p. Run her in, don#t kill her:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom