Z3 alarm fob not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gina2201

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4 Quattro Avant S-Line
Not sure whether to post this here or not, however, seeing as you are very nice bunch of people, and very knowledgable too, I thought I would. Please tell me off if it's not allowed (especially as it's BMW).

My Z3 has an alarm fob but the battery was dead and I replaced it today. The red light is constantly on and it does not unlock the car with the buttons. Does the fob have to be reprogrammed or reset?:( :confused:

Thanks.

PS. I have posted this on a BMW forum however the replies do not seem to be as forthcoming or as quick as here!

Not sure whether to post this here or not, however, seeing as you are very nice bunch of people, and very knowledgable too, I thought I would. Please tell me off if it's not allowed (especially as it's BMW).

My Z3 has an alarm fob but the battery was dead and I replaced it today. The red light is constantly on and it does not unlock the car with the buttons. Does the fob have to be reprogrammed or reset?:( :confused:

Thanks.

Is it one of those BMW's where the key and alarm are on one key, the battery in the key is charged through the ignition (it was on mine) and was on the E39 5 series. It might be that the recharable battery has given up.

Do you have a spare key? Try that, it will have been used less, and therefore the rechargable battery will be intact I hope. You can order a key @ stealers too ;) and code it yourself by doing a procedure, that I can explain if need be.

I would guess that one of the buttons is stuck on (this may have flattenned the battery in the first place)
Look at the infra-red led through your mobile phone camera. If this is permanenty lit it would suggest the button is stuck.

I would guess that one of the buttons is stuck on (this may have flattenned the battery in the first place)
Look at the infra-red led through your mobile phone camera. If this is permanenty lit it would suggest the button is stuck.

It might be a different system to the X5 but there was never a visible LED on my keys. There is a big round red one on the centre mirror that flashes if the alarm is set. Of course you can lock the car manually but this won't activate the alarm system.

Hi, it is a separate alarm fob to the key, the key has a button but this is just a light to enable you to not scratch the car!

Hi, it is a separate alarm fob to the key, the key has a button but this is just a light to enable you to not scratch the car!

Oh good lord, I can't help you there as I've coded BMW keys before.

Is it an aftermarket alarm or a BMW unit?

The buttons do not seem to be stuck, took the little unit apart and you can press the buttons and they depress freely. (if that makes sense)

Ok, no worries! Just thought I'd ask here too, have had NO replies or help on the BM forum, but have here! Maybe this forum should diverse into Mercedes and BMW....:rolleyes: :D

Maybe this forum should diverse into Mercedes and BMW....:rolleyes: :D

We've had a lot of BMW threads the past few days, mainly involving estate cars. I put my 2p in too but lets get MB orientated. We've got enough issues with rusty wheel arches without blown turbos joining in (its a BMW thing).

We've had a lot of BMW threads the past few days, mainly involving estate cars. I put my 2p in too but lets get MB orientated. We've got enough issues with rusty wheel arches without blown turbos joining in (its a BMW thing).

I was only joking, I didn't want to clog up this fine forum with BM issues and sunsequently joined a BM forum thinking it might be just as helpful and nice to be on as this one, don't get me wrong, people are friendly and seem to love their 3 series' but seem to have a lacking of other models!

No probs, cheers anyway, stick to what you know and do best!;) :cool:

The only decent link I can find is
http://www.usedcarmart.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=62277

But you say the LED is permanently lit. That smacks of a stuck down button. Although you can press them do they 'click' when pressed.

If this is a radio fob (which it sounds like it is) try holding it near a portable radio or even some computer speakers and press the buttons. It should create some kind of interference, similar to a mobile phone.

If it's an LED fob use the camera trick.

Dismantle the fob and look for a short circuit - maybe due to water ingress causing corrosion.

When all else fails clean everything with meths.

Mike

ps BMW threads are fine by me!

just dont lock it who would steal it :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom