ZF4HP20 Gearbox problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny DeVito

Car
V220 CDI
My passenger side driveshaft was leaking a little from the output shaft. I could see half the bearing sticking out from the gearbox. When i pulled on the shaft the whole bearing popped out and took a lot of wiggling to get it back in. The whole shaft still wiggles up and down even with the bearing fully back in. So looking at the russian parts site it looks like a single bearing either side supports the diff but that cant be right can it ? Because if like i did the bearing pops out then nothing is supporting the diff inside. On the pic i circled the bearing looks like a taper. To the right the arrow points where the bearing pulled out still on the shaft. If anyone is familiar with the box inside and out ? Please help before i have to pull the box out:doh:

Looking at the first diagram i dont think the bearing should be able to come at all

Silly me. the bit to the right was just a shoulder for the oil seal. The shaft had popped out from the lock ring.I put it back. The shaft still wobbles up and down a lot but problems are very much reduced. I cant now decide if the shaft or bearing of diff is worn but since the drive is better i think i will ignore it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom