ZIP CHARGE GO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
EVs are brilliant in improving air quality in city centres, and....
reducing companies tax and NI liabilities whilst at the same time ticking the invisible green PR box.

reducing companies tax and NI liabilities whilst at the same time ticking the invisible green PR box.

I actually agree - as I said on other threads, we shouldn't be encouraging people to drive more. Here in London, my EV is exempt from Congestion Charge, which makes no sense because it generates as much congestion as an ICE car does.

EVs aren't an encouragement to drive more. They are merely all that will be permitted to enable the essential travel that people have to engage in to live productively.

I actually agree - as I said on other threads, we shouldn't be encouraging people to drive more. Here in London, my EV is exempt from Congestion Charge, which makes no sense because it generates as much congestion as an ICE car does.

But the intention (rightly or wrongly) with Congestion Charge is to price out the ICE drivers with a hope that they'll use other means of transport such as train, bus etc.

What they should actually do is make the Congestion Charge for EVERY car, (EV, ICE or otherwise) - we've got to force people who do wish to travel into London or other large cities to think differently. Whilst having EVs does solve one part of the problem (fumes) it doesn't solve congestion.

EVs aren't an encouragement to drive more. They are merely all that will be permitted to enable the essential travel that people have to engage in to live productively.

I would argue that an exemption from Congestion Charge combined with free parking are a direct encouragement to use your EV in circumstances where you'd have normally used public transport. Though I do appreciate that these specific concessions apply to Londoners only. And, these exemptions will be withdrawn at some future point in time. But for now, EV owning Londoners are encouraged to drive more.

Last edited:
I would argue that an exemption from Congestion Charge combined with free parking are a direct encouragement to use your EV in circumstances where you'd have normally used public transport. Though I do appreciate that these specific concessions apply to Londoners only. And, these exemptions will be withdrawn at some future point in time. But for now, EV owning Londoners are encouraged to drive more.
Fair point - my post was in the broader geographical sense.
Public transport though, while we still aren't free of the pandemic isn't necessarily the best option so currently facilitating personal transport maybe is to be encouraged - for now at least?

Fair point - my post was in the broader geographical sense.
Public transport though, while we still aren't free of the pandemic isn't necessarily the best option so currently facilitating personal transport maybe is to be encouraged - for now at least?

Possibly - though the London exemption started long before COVID - they go back 20 years in fact (the Prius was the first car to be exempt due to low emissions).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom