Zone Alarm Pro free download, today only!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't do it please...

ZoneAlarm is one of the most destructive bits of software you can possibly install on your computer.

I know this is an emotive subject and there are those amongst us that have had positive experiences with it but as someone responsible for 40,000 client computers I see a very clear trend and I strongly warn anyone against its install.

Agree with Sp!ke ...

However if something is free - grab it - you don't have to install it straight away...

At the same - there must be a reason why it is free....

At the same - there must be a reason why it is free....

Almost certainly under pressure: home users have their own little firewall/router devices and Windows users now have Windows Firewall.

So you push out a freebie and hope for an upgrade/renewal payment from a proportion of users some time in the future.

Never had a problem with it to be honest - standard software for a lot of big companies (my old one included).

All good advice from people who know IT, Im sure....however from an Oldie: there no such thing as a free lunch :devil:

You choose;)

Don't do it please...

ZoneAlarm is one of the most destructive bits of software you can possibly install on your computer.

I know this is an emotive subject and there are those amongst us that have had positive experiences with it but as someone responsible for 40,000 client computers I see a very clear trend and I strongly warn anyone against its install.

I've been using ZA pro for years....never had any trouble with it...is there something I should know?

I've been using ZA pro for years....never had any trouble with it...is there something I should know?

You say you've never had any trouble with ZA but how many other computer problems have you had over the years? Could it be that some or all of them were related to your Zone Alarm install?

I know some techs that refuse to work on problem PC's with ZA installed and have learnt just to wipe the PC and start again with a fresh build.

ZA is the root of all evil I tell ya :D

You say you've never had any trouble with ZA but how many other computer problems have you had over the years? Could it be that some or all of them were related to your Zone Alarm install?

I know some techs that refuse to work on problem PC's with ZA installed and have learnt just to wipe the PC and start again with a fresh build.

ZA is the root of all evil I tell ya :D

Sounds like the travails of ol' Nick.....:D

I think you'll find the majority of problems are with Windows - Zonealarm has a long way to go before it's that bad...

There's no substitute for a hardware firewall.
Any old PC running something like smoothwall or m0n0wall is your best budget solution if you're at all concerned.
That said, the default Windows firewall is adequate for 99% of users if it's kept up to date with security patches*.

(*this coming from someone who's tried pretty much all of 'em - ZA, Kerio, Black Ice, even Norton *spit* way back in the day).

Now I run a router with a hardware SPI firewall built in, personally.

[edit] And if anyone wants to test my security, feel free to try and hack me. My IP address is http://127.0.0.1/ ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom