ZX1 Extralube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

320's Plenty

Car
C320CDi Sport
I used this product before, admittedly, some years back, on slightly older cars.

Was contemplating using this in the current car.

Has anyone used it recently or on their own Merc? I'm interested to here what your experiences have been, I fairly sure it is a good product.

Hi, i've used this product for about 10yrs now. I put a bit in the diff, autobox and engine. Im not a great believer in additives in general, but this imo is a quality product. I think it protects components, so they last longer. Forte products also seem quite good.

Jack

not this old chestnut again. :crazy:

NEVER, NEVER put any additive in with engine oil or gearbox oil.

Which R&D budget is bigger do you think... Mobile1's or some back street snake oil vendors?

None of these products have any validity whatsoever not a single one of them. Many have been banned in certain countries.

Hi thought you could'nt use ZX1 in autoboxes or have I been told wrong.

Depends on the autobox and if it has metal friction plates or not. It's usually ok if the car was built after about 1980, but always essential to check with ZX1 first. Can only speak from experience, but I have found it a worthwhile product.

Didn't someone test engine friction reducers a while back and found the stuff only ever coated the oil filter ? :D

Engines are very complex things and engine oil doesnt actually lubricate in the conventional way. For example Your crankshaft and camshafts float on a layer of oil pumped into the shells, it is not due to the low friction properties of the oil.

If you do find some way of reducing friction by the use of additives, do you really wasnt to reduce the friction of your piston rings on your bores? Ask yourself what the consequences are of doing so.

Does *any* vehicle manufacturer recommend the use of any of these products - if not - why not?

Its really quite simple. Is it or is it not recommended by your vehicle manufacturer?

Engines are very complex things and engine oil doesnt actually lubricate in the conventional way. For example Your crankshaft and camshafts float on a layer of oil pumped into the shells, it is not due to the low friction properties of the oil.

If you do find some way of reducing friction by the use of additives, do you really wasnt to reduce the friction of your piston rings on your bores? Ask yourself what the consequences are of doing so.

Does *any* vehicle manufacturer recommend the use of any of these products - if not - why not?

Its really quite simple. Is it or is it not recommended by your vehicle manufacturer?

I agree with you on engine oil additives and frictions reducers, it's simple just don't do it.

But I don't agree on vehicle manufacturers recommendations i.e MB recommends Mobil 1, BMW reccomends Castrol etc...

These are just marketing and commercial agreements designed to ensure both companies drag the last possible penny out of the consumer and unsuspecting punter and maximise their profits.

far better to take an independent view backed up by facts and data IMHO

Vehicle manufacturers generally recommend you use oil to a particular specification and do not *specify* particular brands.

No manufacturer recommends any standalone oil additive or alleged friction reducer.

...But if people prefer to rely on the scientific genius of the likes of QVC or The Shopping Channel then I have little sympathy.

Vehicle manufacturers generally recommend you use oil to a particular specification and do not *specify* particular brands.

No manufacturer recommends any standalone oil additive or alleged friction reducer.

...But if people prefer to rely on the scientific genius of the likes of QVC or The Shopping Channel then I have little sympathy.

Totally agree but MB & BMW refer to Mobil 1 & Castrol specifically and recommend them in their marketing campaigns.

Can you remember the damage that "Slick 50" did to engines? Using new PTFE technology to reduce friction. PTFE in engine oil were they mad :eek:

I too have little sympathy for people that think they know better than the experts with masssive R&D budgets

do you really wasnt to reduce the friction of your piston rings on your bores? Ask yourself what the consequences are of doing so.

Yes! It is a major sourced of internal friction and thus loss.

There are no negative consequences of reducing friction (clutches excepted).

I don't, however, expect any additive to achieve anything positive whatsoever.

Yes! It is a major sourced of internal friction and thus loss.

There are no negative consequences of reducing friction (clutches excepted).

I don't, however, expect any additive to achieve anything positive whatsoever.

Piston rings need to scrape the bore clean. If you add something that reduces the friction you'll reduce the effectiveness of the rings and result in increased burning of oil.

If there are no negatives would you add a friction reducer to a modern synchromesh gearbox?

The active ingredient in ZX1 is highly likely to be zinc dithiophosphate which is already found in the correct quantities in good quality engine oils. Adding extra ZDDP is known to cause premature deterioration of DPF's and Catalytic converters.

A good read can be found below. (note the date of the article) ... and people are still falling for this bunkum

Car maintenance bibles: Snakeoil

Last edited:
Piston rings need to scrape the bore clean. If you add something that reduces the friction you'll reduce the effectiveness of the rings and result in increased burning of oil.
[/URL]

The oil control rings are there to scrape off the oil. Not attack the bore!

And to clarify - I do not recommend ANY additive not incorporated into the oil by the manufacturer at the point of manufacture.

Bald tyres are the only proven friction reducer :crazy: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom