1992 230CE Sports cats? performance improvements?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lamboxx

Car
SL500
Hello all,

so looking for some advice. I have my late grandfather’s old 230CE (W124), it’s sentimental otherwise I’d have both a 300…

I just wondered if it was possible to have a little bit more power without engine swap etc. I wondered if it was possible to replace the cats with high-flow sports cats (that should free up some HP?). My mechanic friend thought I’d need to have a custom remap after fitting cats to make a difference?
any other ideas?

thanks

Last edited:
Based on past experience....unless you are going to be doing serious tuning and going to be moving a lot more air, you wont notice the difference....except in sound. Did 124 even have cats that far back?? Anything before 92 and you can delete the cats completely....only required after K plate.

My mechanic friend thought I’d need to have a custom remap after fitting cats to make a difference?
With respect, I don't thnk he knows these cars. Just enjoy the car for what it is, a quality, easy-going cruiser. And if it's been well maintained, give it a spanking now and again, it'll enjoy it.

Happy cruising.

RayH

I just wondered if it was possible to have a little bit more power without engine swap etc. I wondered if it was possible to replace the cats with high-flow sports cats (that should free up some HP?). My mechanic friend thought I’d need to have a custom remap after fitting cats to make a difference?
any other ideas?

Hi & welcome

I have 200 cell sports cats on my SL500 (along with centre muffler removal), but purely to get a tiny bit more noise. Maybe if I'd dyno'd it before/after there would be a couple more bhp, but not enough to ever notice on the road. Of course it's then a 'modified' car, which can increase insurance.

So as above I'd leave it stock and have fun with it as it is :)

Thanks everyone. I thought that would probably be the answer, but thank you for confirming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom