Considering Stage 1 Remap for my 2016 Mercedes C220d AMG Line - Seeking Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenzEnthusiast

Car
Mercedes C Class C220d AMG Line
Hey fellow Mercedes enthusiasts!

I'm currently driving a 2016 Mercedes C220d AMG Line and find myself in a dilemma about whether to go for a Stage 1 Remap or not. My car is currently at 170bhp and 400nm torque, and the proposed remap would boost it to 220bhp and 500nm torque.

One of my main concerns is the potential long-term damage to the engine and the impact on fuel consumption. I've come across some horror stories online, and I'm curious if anyone here has experienced any issues after a remap. Additionally, I'm wondering if the increased power would be noticeable in day-to-day driving, and if it could cause negative wear and strain on engine components.

The primary reason pushing me towards a remap is the lack of throttle response, especially in 2nd/3rd gear around 1800rpm. It feels like there's a 'flat spot' or a strain on the car during these moments. I've done some research and suspect it might be related to how Mercedes' gearbox behaves. Can anyone confirm if a remap could eliminate this issue?

If I decide to proceed, I'm considering GAD Tuning as they seem highly recommended on various forums and have a solid reputation. Has anyone had experience with them?

I'd greatly appreciate any insights or personal experiences with a Stage 1 Remap, especially for a Mercedes C Class 220d.

Looking forward to your valuable input!

Last edited:
Before you go ahead with any remap, check with your insurance company that they will accept it.
Plenty of insurance companies are refusing to insure a remapped car.

GAD has a good reputation for remapping and a phone call would allay any fears you have regarding any possible engine problems
Just don't overdo the torque if its a 7sp transmission. That's what kills them.

There used to be a way of retraining the drivetrain electronics something like foot on throttle for 30 seconds, turn key to position 1 & retain foot on throttle, remove key and stop pressing throttle then start the car.

On my w203 I disconnected the battery for ~ an hour which felt like it did the same.

Throttle response is probably is down to torque before the turbo spools up. I don't think that a remap will help with that but you can try it.

A 'good' remap can bring the turbo(s) in a little earlier but still retain the torque limiter in 2nd.

If you only use the additional power sensibly then there should be not material increased wear to drive train.
If you drive like a loon, then perhaps.....

GAD or similar are well enough versed though on mechanical tolerances so that they don't have repeated customer failures.

Know then that any operating condition outside the engine management systems
pre-set limits that is detected will trigger hidden flags that can (and will)
be retrieved if later claiming warranty due to engine failure.

The procedure is hidden and password protected and it is used by MB to reject any such claims.

Just think about it before going ahead...

At 8 years old I cant imagine it has any warranty.......

I've mapped and tuning boxed a few derv cars over the years including my current one and my Merc 270CDI 5 pot engined Jeep. Never had an issue with reliability. The extra torque low down is the real improvement. Drive it as you did before and the MPG will be the same....use all the extra power all the time.....and it wont!. One thing that certainly wont happen (in my experience at least) is any improvement in MPG....despite the claims they often make....and when you think about it why would there be....? It often shows a better MPG on the dash though but it does not tally with the MPG measured tank top to tank top.......it seems like the on board MPG gauge does not "know" about the extra fuel going in.

Last edited:
Where I live, some insurance policys are based on the mileage and/or age but you are probably right.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom