G63 AMG Problem w/ Headlights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gmommy

Car
Mercedes g63
Hi All,

In the market for a G63 and I’ve finally found the perfect one with the spec I am wanting. It’s a 2020 (just out of warranty). I did a PPI (pre purchas e inspection) and the mechanic noticed a problem with the headlights having condensation. The salesman said that this is a consistent problem with Mercedes (especially AMG’s) as their LED headlights are not sealed. He also said that if there was condensation and you have Mercedes warranty, Mercedes would not repair or replace the headlights as condensation does happen.

It is the ONLY thing wrong with the car, and it is absolutely perfect in every other way. I am hesitant as there is no warranty, and he doesn’t seem to want to help fix or address the issue and blames Mercedes saying it’s common!

Has anyone else ever had any issues with their AMGs having condensation in the headlights? What are your opinions? Thanks for your help.

The salesman is correct. I used to get condensation in the LED headlights on my previous E63 under certain weather conditions. When they have been illuminated for a while it does disappear with the heat generated.
I've read of other models having this problem too. Mercedes are aware of it but accept its not an issue.
Provided its had main dealer service history you can get Mercedes own warranty but whether that would cover condensation inside the headlight I very much doubt. The terms and conditions would make it clear.

If the G63 is perfect in every other way, go for it.

It doesn’t t just happen to Mercedes or AMG models, vented (not sealed) headlamps do mist up. It’s not a problem as such, it’s just what happens as moist air can find it’s way into the headlamp unit.

Do you have a photo? Large water droplets would suggest there’s a problem, whereas a fine just would be considered normal. It often happens after a car has been washed, as the cold water reduces the temperature of the headlamp and the relatively warmer air inside condensates.

As long as it’s a light mist - affecting both lights - then it wouldn’t put me off an otherwise perfect car.

It doesn’t t just happen to Mercedes or AMG models, vented (not sealed) headlamps do mist up. It’s not a problem as such, it’s just what happens as moist air can find it’s way into the headlamp unit.

Do you have a photo? Large water droplets would suggest there’s a problem, whereas a fine just would be considered normal. It often happens after a car has been washed, as the cold water reduces the temperature of the headlamp and the relatively warmer air inside condensates.

As long as it’s a light mist - affecting both lights - then it wouldn’t put me off an otherwise perfect car.
I’ve attached the photos - let me know what you think! It was raining so the droplets are on the car. Some photos were after the lights were left on for a while so you can see the condensation did go down a bit.

Attachments

• 550AAD5C-47CD-4331-BED1-334F3147D119.jpeg
    550AAD5C-47CD-4331-BED1-334F3147D119.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 12
  • BF25CE57-18F7-48A8-8752-3641033A742A.jpeg
    BF25CE57-18F7-48A8-8752-3641033A742A.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 12
  • A2D94EA5-372A-4D8C-987C-F0C22C3AFE65.jpeg
    A2D94EA5-372A-4D8C-987C-F0C22C3AFE65.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 11
  • 28ED5F07-FB99-489F-AC0C-3F56359F8A8B.jpeg
    28ED5F07-FB99-489F-AC0C-3F56359F8A8B.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 12
The remedy is to keep the headlights on at all times. I do with all my MB's and not have an issue.

I’ve attached the photos - let me know what you think! It was raining so the droplets are on the car. Some photos were after the lights were left on for a while so you can see the condensation did go down a bit.
Normal go ahead and purchase.

That’s nothing considering the cold damp weather.
Also the led lamps don’t put out much heat to heat the lenses and ‘burn’ it off.
Once the weather has improved, I’ll guarantee it won’t happen.
Post up lots of piccies if you get it. I love the G Wagen 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I really wouldn’t worry about that. Easily the outcome of a quick wash before you viewed it. If it’s otherwise the right car, then go for it and enjoy.

Some very good advice there from Olly (BlackC55).

Good advice from Olly - and you may be expecting a large fuel bill, but having test driven one for a day, it was frighteningly high (and at the time I had a SL55 and a ML63).

Before you do buy it take it for a good drive. The G63 isn't for everyone. Give it some welly and see if you like it.
I have driven it a few times, but not for too long each time. I have driven a couple of ‘heavier’ cars on the regular (mainly a bmw x5m competition and a Range Rover SVR) and it does definately drive different but I have never enjoyed a drive as much as I have in a 63! I was sold after the first 10 mins and honestly couldn’t stop smiling. I thought worst case scenario, I don’t like it, and can sell or part exchange back to a boring Range Rover again XD

Good advice from Olly - and you may be expecting a large fuel bill, but having test driven one for a day, it was frighteningly high (and at the time I had a SL55 and a ML63).
I know people say it can get up to 16-20mpg, what would you say the average is I’m looking at? I am budgeting for hopefully around 16! I don’t know how that will feel, but I am prepared to spend a decent amount of time at the petrol pump whilst I have the car.

That’s nothing considering the cold damp weather.
Also the led lamps don’t put out much heat to heat the lenses and ‘burn’ it off.
Once the weather has improved, I’ll guarantee it won’t happen.
Post up lots of piccies if you get it. I love the G Wagen 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
I will definately post some pictures up! I am so excited and honestly cannot wait till I can bring it home!!

Reactions: Ted
The remedy is to keep the headlights on at all times. I do with all my MB's and not have an issue.
Thanks for this!! Did you find that your headlamps tend to mist up regularly or was it just dependant on the weather?

I know people say it can get up to 16-20mpg, what would you say the average is I’m looking at? I am budgeting for hopefully around 16! I don’t know how that will feel, but I am prepared to spend a decent amount of time at the petrol pump whilst I have the car.
Everyone’s journeys and driving styles are different. For very short-distance urban journeys with a completely cold engine (so say less than 5-6 miles) then 13-14 mpg is realistic. In London and in very heavy traffic then expect less, possibly much less.

On a long free-flowing journey (say 200 miles) on fast motorways and dual carriageways, keeping up with the ebb-and-flow of the traffic but with very gentle application of the accelerator and brakes, then 20-21 mpg will be possible.

As a caveat though it could very easily be worse if you use the performance, and getting better is possible but unrealistic for most journeys as it requires driving more slowly that the rest of the traffic, excellent anticipation and barely touching pedals!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom