Grey smoke, once/morning/hard acceleration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robsterpaterson

Car
2014 E350
Hi folks, I've got a slightly smokey issue.
When I've started my car in the morning and got to the national speed limit area after maybe a mile or two, I get a cloud/reek of grey smoke (more than a 'puff') when I accelerate hard the first time.
It only does it once the first time I do this and it only lasts until I ease off the throttle. Once up to temperature (well, once the coolant is anyway) it doesn't do it again during the journey. The car can then sit for 7 hours and won't do it after the subsequent afternoon start-up and 'brisk' acceleration up to NSL speed(ish) after a similar distance to that of the morning.
My thoughts are that this isn't necessarily sinister as surely an injector issue would cause it to happen every time it was started from cold and then booted a bit?
At initial ignition on, the glow plug light is on for maybe a second max and it bursts into life enthusiastically enough.
I'm also wondering if it's maybe been mapped. Research suggests that my 2014 E350 should take around 6.6 seconds to hit 60mph. From a standing start in Sport I can get there in around 5.5 but that's me counting as 'dot dot one dot dot, two dot dot' etc and going by the speedo so not the most accurate - but I'd be surprised if I was a whole second out.
With the potential mapping making me wonder if the DPF has been gutted, would a gutted DPF do a good Batman impression with a cold engine (but be fine when warm/on subsequent starts that day)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom