Key Fob not starting W212. Battery changed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteK10

Car
E220 W112
Hi all
I have a 2010 E220 W212
Key fob was gradually starting to not lock/unlock car. Now won't start car. Happened other Key a few weeks ago and assumed it was fob battery. So started using spare key. But same started happening that and then completely stopped working last night. Changed battery in both fobs. Checked fuses and ok. Still nothing. Can anyone help me out with ideas please. Thanks

Hi all
I have a 2010 E220 W212
Key fob was gradually starting to not lock/unlock car. Now won't start car. Happened other Key a few weeks ago and assumed it was fob battery. So started using spare key. But same started happening that and then completely stopped working last night. Changed battery in both fobs. Checked fuses and ok. Still nothing. Can anyone help me out with ideas please. Thanks
So just to clarify, both keys won't lock and unlock vehicle aswell as can't start it?

So just to clarify, both keys won't lock and unlock vehicle aswell as can't start it?
Yep both keys, and won't unlock steering lock. You know the sound it makes when key connects with ignition, it isn't making that sound either.
Thanks

The battery in the key fob is only there to power the circuit that sends the signal to lock or unlock the vehicle etc.

It plays no part in the key starting the vehicle.

If both keys are not releasing the steering lock then you may have a failed or failing Electronic Ignition Switch

Does it buzz when you insert key in EIS? If not, you may have EIS servo motor/gear teeth failed. Common problem in W204 and W212, search you tube-

Unsure if this will work. But could you try disconnecting the main battery terminals it could do a ECU reset. Maybe worth a try.

Yep both keys, and won't unlock steering lock. You know the sound it makes when key connects with ignition, it isn't making that sound either.
Thanks
Ohh that makes sense now! Yeah sounds like you have a dreadful failed ESL fault, you'd need to check fault codes to confirm though

The battery in the key fob is only there to power the circuit that sends the signal to lock or unlock the vehicle etc.

It plays no part in the key starting the vehicle.

If both keys are not releasing the steering lock then you may have a failed or failing Electronic Ignition Switch
Thanks will check that out 👍

Does it buzz when you insert key in EIS? If not, you may have EIS servo motor/gear teeth failed. Common problem in W204 and W212, search you tube-
No buzz sound anymore. Will get this checked out. Thanks

Thanks for all the help. Had an auto electrician out and he was confused because the keys were doing nothing at all. Just the red light flashing on them. Anyway, he ended up re programming both keys 🔑 and seems to be ok now. Hopefully that lasts though and not an ECU intermittent fault

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom