M113K Air Filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SL03WLY

SUPPORTER
Car
W211 03'
I changed my air filters today and after I believe 2 years and possibly 4k miles. It was in an absolute state. Never seen air filters that bad before. Also noticed at the back of both the filters was a dark black stain. This looks to have come from the bottom of the air boxes where those metal clamps? hook onto the rubber bushes. That area is a bit open but not sure if it should be. Will get some pics up soon.

Also, does anyone happen to know the intervals for the air filter?

They don't look that bad to me . Service intervals for air filters ? If you live in Dubai/Serengeti/Sahara you would probably replace them more often than if you lived in Northern Europe.

I'm sure most car manufacturers have a time/mileage interval just to cover their buts.

The black marks on your filters are from the inside of the inlet system , something might be blowing back ??

I have the same engine as you but mine is N/A so things will be different . But my air filters have never shown the black stains yours have.

Hey Pete,

Yeah its a very weird one, the black spots were on the botton when those pics of the clamps I took at. Towards the back, these clips have a open hole of sort there so looks to be bring something in from there as it was covered in a bit of oil grease. Have put new ones in, will see how they turn out after a few months.

They look fine to me minus the black markings.

I have the M113k mill.
Those black marks are on the airbox intake side of the filter rather than the kompressor side of the filter. Oil or dirt or oily dirt has been sucked in and caught by the filter doing its job.
You can also see that the filters are dirtier at one end than the other. The dirtier end is at the back where the air flow is more concentrated into the ducting leading to the kompressor. It's also why you can vacuum your filters and turn them around for longer life.

Your filters are immeasurably better than these Pipercross I pulled from my machine. Under 20000 miles and correctly installed and serviced. Expands the meaning of free-flow.

pipercross.jpg
piperx.jpg

Hmmm, I'd say the air filter I pulled out of my wagon last month was a lot worse than these.
Doesn't look like its been changed in years.
I'm also seeing an increase in mpg too.
20230821_115045[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom