Parking in Windsor?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
At the end of the month we are going to visit Windsor Castle.
We are staying at Egham and want to drive from there to Windsor.
SWMBO has a blue badge but usually this has a time limit of 3 hours.
Any recommendations for parking at (or reasonable walking distance from) Windsor?

Train station car park (or across the road from it) when we last went there is one option.

Train station car park (or across the road from it) when we last went there is one option.
Yeah parked here once, no issues apart from the usual - bays are a bit tight for larger cars so expect dinged doors if busy (as usual 😡)

What's a "reasonable distance?"

I normally park near the end of the Long Walk because I like the walk down Long Walk because it's prettier than parking near Dorney and walking across. But it all depends on your ability to do distance.

Tourists hate walking. Locals: not so much.

Barry Avenue is a favourite for me, on the river, and a lovely walk into town. It is always popular, but as an alternative at the end of the road is Alexandra Car Park (not sure if the road runs through) which is a good size. Sydney Camm memorial is on the walk from the car park.

Last edited:
SWMBO is quite happy with a 3 mile dog walk now but as we will be on our feet for most of the day, car parking would be best within 1/2 to 3/4 mile.
Best I can suggest is to park for free on the roads around Datchet station and then jump on the infrequent train into Windsor. But that’s not cheap either.

If it’s on a Sunday, roadside parking in Windsor “may” be free and unregulated but I’m not sure about that. (Others may know)

bays are a bit tight for larger cars so expect dinged doors if busy (as usual 😡)

Some years ago my in-laws parked in Windsor in their LWB R Class ... it overhung the end of the bay, and they came back to find they'd been given a ticket for not being within the lines!

How about an Uber from where you’re staying in Egham?

Probably not going to cost much in the grand scheme of things :)
Good point - about £15 each way. When you factor in the saved hassle, fuel costs and parking costs - this seems the best option.

I generally favour parking on the Eton side of the river and walking over the bridge. Depending on the time and the day, and how long I'm spending there, either parking on the road or in one of the smallish car parks: Meadow Lane or Eton Court. They're a 5 to 10 minute walk to the castle entrance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom