Puzzling message re lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Have the below message persisting. Have checked all rear lights with my trusty assistant (aka SWMBO) and they all seem to be working. Any thoughts?
PXL_20231113_093954696.jpg

I seem to remember (I may be wrong so apologies if I am) that some models had a "back up" bulb which was used when the normal bulb blew so that the rear lights still worked. Have you actually physically checked the bulbs to see if any have blown? As I say above, sorry if I'm talking complete rubbish.

I had a simular issue a few years ago on my e350 coupe, my indi diagnosed chaffed wires at the boot hinge, causing intermittent faults coming up on the dash. Some small repairs were done to the loom £80 later.. not had a reoccurrence.
Hope this helps.

I seem to remember (I may be wrong so apologies if I am) that some models had a "back up" bulb which was used when the normal bulb blew so that the rear lights still worked. Have you actually physically checked the bulbs to see if any have blown? As I say above, sorry if I'm talking complete rubbish.
I did wonder that, but in the past when a back-up bulb was used, got a message. Will do a physical check anyway - thanks

I did wonder that, but in the past when a back-up bulb was used, got a message. Will do a physical check anyway - thanks
Have a look at the grounding for the light clusters whilst you're at it; although I'm not sure if that was as much an issue on face lift 204s as pre-facelift.

Cheap and nasty bulbs can cause this, bulbs that are approaching end of life change their resistance and will show bulb failure whilst still working. Fit a good quality new bulb and see if that cures it.

Unless the tail lights are LED's I would replace the bulbs in pair and from the same batch. There can be differences between different manufacturers.

I rember a previous car where the instrument cluster displayed lamp failure: Replacing the lamps when the engine was running was not a good idea.
For some reason, the car tested the lamps in connection with engine start. I had to turn off the engine and restart it in order for the error message to be cleared.

Yes the CLK 209 has that too....took ages to figure out that the car has switched over bulb use........

Had this in a few cars.
Brake light fails so the ecu sends extra power to the tail light on that side , uses that as a stop light but it's brighter, with the extra power, so now its a stop light and tail light.
Got to admit, it's clever!

Tail lamps beware - check the position of little “lugs”

380 bulbs they are at 12 & 6 o’clock looking from under.

566 bulbs they are at 12 & 8 o clock looking from under.

take old bulb out and check exactly what’s in there before you buy…;) ps I’ve got some spare 380s:rolleyes:

566 = £1.49 each in Halfords this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom