So tell me what's 44nm in real man figures ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We come across decimal feet a lot in the oil and gas industry when looking at well depth. The potential for a massive balls up is significant!

Remember the Mars Climate Orbiter....?

BLAME THE FRENCH
The Yanks may use the same metre-to-inches conversion as in the UK, but they sell short on their gallons…

Remember the Mars Climate Orbiter....?
I hadn’t heard of that, but what a story!

A bit when engine builders say 'I will skim a mil off that head , that should sort it out...'

He is defiantly not skimming a Millimetre of meat off.

But easy for someone to think that that is exactly what is taking place .

Like when some years ago Mrs B bought a few metres of 54” curtain material, or I bought 2.4 metres of inch by one timber.

(Ok, I know it’s standardised nowadays, but it still makes me chuckle)

We used to have a couple of carpet fitters who measured up new carpet using metric and imperial. Carpet comes in 4m widths so they'd measure their cuts as eg 4m x 12'6"

Made my head spin.

We used to have a couple of carpet fitters who measured up new carpet using metric and imperial. Carpet comes in 4m widths so they'd measure their cuts as eg 4m x 12'6"

Made my head spin.
Bloke who taught me to be a plumber used to tell me to grab 3m lengths of 1/2” tube even though it was 15mm. He also told me to get 3m lengths of 3/4” tube which is actually 22mm

When we were using black or galvy barrel the tube is in Imperial. When I lived in Greece their steel pipe and fittings are also in Imperial.

How’s all that for a head f**k?

BLAME THE FRENCH

Indeed, blame the French. At 5 foot 2, Napoleon only registered as being 62 inches tall. However, when he introduced the metric system this sounded a whole lot more impressive; 158cms. Even more when he wore his stackies.

He's the one to blame for that.

Why is it surprising? When was the last time anyone bought an Imperial socket set?

The majority of socket sets sold today are metric. And you can have your metric socket set with a choice of 1/2", 3/8", or 1/4" drive :doh: :D

Most good socket sets still come with both....I find both pretty useful. I play with the odd old Brit bike.....and what other sockets would you be able to hammer on a rounded bolt head other than a slightly smaller imperial one.....!!! Don't get me started on Whitworth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom