• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W124-Rebuilt engine

li55ven05

Car
1992 W124 230E,2005 W220 S350,2010 Porsche Cayman
Hello everybody,

My father offered me his w124 230E which has exactly 20 years old.

This is my car :D

http://i.imgur.com/Z5Ycr.jpg

As soon as i got this wonderful gift,I started to repair the car's defects.
The car was sent to a mechanic for engine rebuild.The image below shows what have been changed.(hydraulic lifters,Piston bearings,etc..)

http://i.imgur.com/E1Zbs.jpg

(Piston bearings cannot be found in the picture but i have changed them)

I have some question to ask.
How should i drive the car after engine rebuild?I was told not to exceed 2000 rpm but is there a speed limit to respect?
Lastly..I heard about a liqui moly product as shown in the link below:

LIQUI MOLY - Motor Oils, Additives, Car Care - Speed Tec - the additive for the "sportive" driver

Is it safe to use this product to a rebuilt engine or will it just cause damage?

Thanks

Last edited:
How many miles/KM has the engine done prior to the rebuild?

As for running in, my advice would be to just drive it gently for a couple of thousand miles. Change up in good time and dont let the engine labour. There's no real science to it, just drive it like a nun for a bit and then gradually start increasing the load once past 2000 miles.

Mercedes say you should not use any oil or fuel additives.

Last edited:
You will just be wasting your money using a fuel additive like that. INJECTOR CLEANERS can be useful IF you are experiencing injector problems otherwise nothing to be gained. For running in its probably more important to avoid labouring [ running at too low revolutions for the road speed ] the engine than using high revs. Since the maximum torgue is generated at about 3,500 rpm in that engine that's the speed to put the least strain on the engine. Maximum power is generated at 5,100 rpm and it would be wise to keep to say 1,000 rpm below that while running in.

Hi Steven,

Forgive me for pointing it out but the picture of your car appears to be that of a face-lift model W124. Things may be different in Mauritius but I thought that the 230E was superseded by the 220E during the pre-post lift period. Did your father have any body modifications carried out on it?

Still, the car in the photo looks very nice. Good luck in your ownership.

Thanks Spike and Grober for your detailed informations :)

I understood that I should not exceed high rpms but should not strain the engine either.
But I am really concern about your views on whether I should respect a certain speed limit during the break in period or adopt driving techniques like accelerating to 80km/hr and driving at 50km/hr

Thanks

Hi Steven,

Forgive me for pointing it out but the picture of your car appears to be that of a face-lift model W124. Things may be different in Mauritius but I thought that the 230E was superseded by the 220E during the pre-post lift period. Did your father have any body modifications carried out on it?

Hi :)
Yes back in 1997,my father bought the 8-holes wheels,changed hood,trunk,headlights&tail lights,bumpers.

The only time its necessary to adopt specific driving "techniques" is probably if the bulk of your driving is constant cruising for long distances on a light throttle. Variation of engine speed and load is the name of the game here. A bit like athletics ---doing a pre race warm up- bit of loosening up exercise - some stretching- gentle warming up-- a few little sprints to get everything working and getting that circulation going-nothing too strenuous to cause muscle strain- but nothing too much to cause fatigue or injury before the big race.;)

The only time its necessary to adopt specific driving "techniques" is probably if the bulk of your driving is constant cruising for long distances on a light throttle. Variation of engine speed and load is the name of the game here. A bit like athletics ---doing a pre race warm up- bit of loosening up exercise - some stretching- gentle warming up-- a few little sprints to get everything working and getting that circulation going-nothing too strenuous to cause muscle strain- but nothing too much to cause fatigue or injury before the big race.;)

Wow!
That is a wise way to make me understand the way I should drive.
In Mauritius,motorways are short.So,I should, thus, not worry about "driving techniques"
Many thanks for your help mate ;)
From your informations,I guess that I can drive at the speed that I want (even 80km/hr+).Am I right?

Wow!
That is a wise way to make me understand the way I should drive.
In Mauritius,motorways are short.So,I should, thus, not worry about "driving techniques"
Many thanks for your help mate ;)
From your informations,I guess that I can drive at the speed that I want (even 80km/hr+).Am I right?

As long as 80km/hr+ is in top gear and not in third! :eek: Best done with the engine nicely warmed up first of course. :thumb:

Okay thanks!
The car is able to make 80km/hr plus with 1500-2000 rpm :)

Hi :)
Yes back in 1997,my father bought the 8-holes wheels,changed hood,trunk,headlights&tail lights,bumpers.

Whoever carried out the work certainly has done a good job.:thumb:

I also notice that the driving position is to the right as in the UK.

Hi Steven,

Just for interest sake, here in South africa, we still got the 230 with the face lift but it was called a "E230" and not a 230E

The video shows the engine noise when warm.
There is a noise like tac tac tac under the car.I have no idea what it is.
Is this the normal sound of a w124 230E?Perhaps an exhaust leak?

bruit - YouTube

Last edited:
Can anyone help me please?

thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom