• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

w163 ml350 Key issue

hamazz

Hi
got an w163 ml350, issue is i only have one key, and when at the dealer a few days ago picking up parts, they said you can no longer get the keys as the company has gone out of business.
my question is how can i get a second key? i.e fob and key,
the idea of just having the blade and doing it manually is not really an option here

if that is not possible can i buy an ignition with 2 keys and swap it out or is it matched to the ecu? if its matched to the ecu would i have to get a different ignition+key+ecu?
could i change it to a keyless one?

Hama

You could do like the chap did in the link below, all you really want is an emergency key with a chip inside it to start the car in the event of losing or braking your existing key.

Link… Remote key

Dec

Have a look at my thread. The only place I could find to do another remote key was in Birmingham, cost was £200 +vat and they need car for half a day, with cost of travel, not an option. The valet key from Mercedes does the job as an emergency key.

I have also been told that once a key is "paired" to a car, it cannot be used again on another car, as chip and circuit board cannot be over written. Hence 2nd hand keys cannot be used, people sell them but they are not useable. Key is paired to ECU and locking.

thanks for the info will check with local dealership,
so the valet key is just like a normal key but without the fob operation? i.e you have to put it in the keyhole?
if you arm it with the original keyfob remotely, then unlock it with the valet key would it trigger the alarm?

Hamazz

When you lock the car with your flip out remote fob, you arm the alarm and lock the doors, that is all that happens when you press the lock button on the remote fob.

When you put the remote/key blade into the ignition, the transponder chip inside the remote fob/key talks to the transponder ring around the ignition, the immobiliser is then released and the car starts.

Example, transponder ringMERCEDES A CLASS W168 VANEO W414 TRANSPONDER RING A1684620253 | eBay

2013-11-19_105646_20130611_222243.jpg

Now, after locking the car with the remote/key, and, if you were then to lose your remote fob, then you would need a spare remote fob OR a spare valet key with a transponder chip inside it in order to open and start the car, like the one pictured below, the little drawer in the key head is where the transponder chip is located.

10pcs-lot-for-blank-Transponder-Key-Shell-case-for-Mercedes-Benz-with-HU64-HU72-blade.jpg_640x640.jpg

So, having lost your remoter fob/key, you would unlock the car with the valet key blade, as soon as you open he drivers door, the alarm will go off, if you then put the valet key into the ignition then the alarm will be disabled (by the transponder chip in the key head) and the car will start.

Because you have lost your remote fob/key then the only way to lock the car is manually, with the valet key, in the absence of the lost remote fob/key, the car alarm can no longer be armed.

A valet key, like in above picture above, is the best and cheapest solution, after all, you may never have the need fore a spare key/remote fob.

Dec

Above is correct, the new valet key i bought is thus, unlock drivers door with key, open door, all other doors open, alarm will sound (mine does not as i know its siren has been deactivated) put key in ignition, start car, alarm goes off, drive car as normal.
To lock car, remove key from ignition, lock all other doors with central locking switch on consul, get out of car and lock drivers door with key.

In a way, its just like the old days, meaning 60's and 70's before central locking was added to cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom