W219 Driver’s window - it works smoothly but path of travel gone awry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrandEd

Car
CLS350 Grand Edition CDI (W219)
Hi Forum, my second thread (and returning to my original problem).
I’ve a W219 Cd350 ‘Grand Edition’ and recently encountered some ‘out of the blue’ electrical problems.
Turned out my 2009 OEM battery (I didn’t realise it was the original) was on it’s last legs - this forum was very helpful.

The problem I was working on and where I’d welcome some advice please:
The driver’s door window has always worked fine; no grinding or groaning, always nice and smooth.
Now it’s started to travel (downward direction only) in what I can only describe as a ‘serpentine out of alignment’ motion.
It’s almost as if the first inch of downward travel pivots around the bottom corner of the glass, nearest the bonnet.
This results in the opposite top corner of the glass hitting the B-Pillar.

If I fully open the window it straightens/aligns and if I stop on an upward travel it’s also straight/aligned.
It can overlap the B-Pillar if the door is open so I’m having to be very careful that I don’t shut the door when it gets in this out of aligned position.

I’ve had the door card off and adjusted fixings / nipped everything up (in case it was moving about) but that’s not fixed it.
I did wonder if a ‘stop’ on the cable had moved out of position (if there is such a thing) causing mechanism slack on one side.
It’s operation is still smooth, responsive and quiet - it’s just the path of travel that’s gone awry.

It feels different to the posts I’ve been reading about; ‘regulator eats cable / shreds gears’.
If anyone has seen this, fixed this - I’d be very grateful for some advice.

Best Ed

Sounds like a something in the guide rails causing drag - try silicone spray down the guides and worth pulling the door card and greasing the sliders. They do go dry.

Thank you - I’ll give that a try.
It would be nice if it was as simple as that.

Any particular grease - clear silicone ?

Best Ed

Thank you - I’ll give that a try.
It would be nice if it was as simple as that.

Any particular grease - clear silicone ?

Best Ed
I used a silicone grease I had lying around - it is plastic sliders on metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom