When I'm Cleaning Windows?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As you have such a huge expanse of glass you can forget about all the high margin small bottles of magic potion allegedly specially formulated for car windscreens. Just use what anybody in the glass handling/installation trade reaches for - Nilco H3 Nilglass Glass & Mirror Cleaner. If you have a dehumidifier just mix it up with the deionised water that produces so it will be free of the calcium carbonate which causes the water spots when tap water dries. Toolstation and Screwfix do handy 500ml squirty bottles for just over a quid. You also don't want to use shaggy microfibre cloths, they just promote smears. Ideally you should use ones with a suede or peach fuzz texture or failing that the shortest pile cloth you can find.

Nilco H3 Nilglass Glass & Mirror Cleaner Cleaning Solution 5 Litre 5l Nil Glass | eBay

That is interesting about Nilco,unless my maths are up the creek,it is better to buy the 500ml bottles from Screwfix than the Ebay offering ,what all the posters do not know is that Bruce got his window cleaning skills from extensive training by Cunard and so Mrs Bruce is doomed not to get the corners done.

That is interesting about Nilco,unless my maths are up the creek,it is better to buy the 500ml bottles from Screwfix than the Ebay offering.

I think I could have phased what I said better. I meant you can buy EMPTY squirty bottles at Toolstation or Screwfix to put the mix in. But you can indeed buy 500ml trigger bottles of Nilglass but they will set you back around £3.99 at places like Lakeland which makes the 5 litres for £12.95 a decent deal.

Nilco Nilglass Window & Mirror Cleaner Spray 500ml | Lakeland

I love this Forum . Just a click away some are agonising whether to order their £110 K car in black or pink , and here we are talking about window cleaning.

Priceless. love it. :banana:

My windows in the house look hazy when the sun is on them - Some double glazing has a coating applied to the inside of the vacuumed panes to reflect heat to keep heat in during winter and out during summer - more apparent when sun shining on it.

If this isn't the case, try KILLERWAXX Xtreme Window Cleaner - no alcohol content so doesn't evaporate away quickly like others. You also need a glass microfibre cloth as apposed to a usual microfibre - short weave is key to glass

You'll have to forgive me there Bruce its an age thing and I didn't have my reading glasses..

But For a moment I thought you said "Pay someone..... to do the wife, and make them look less saggy" my apologies mate.. should have gone to Specsavers..

Use your car drying towels :eek: or just a decent towel.

Clean the windows with a detergent (fairy liquid) getting in all the nooks a crannies and squeegee.

Then with a bucket of clean water (DI works better) use a damp drying towel to moisten the glass, squeegee, then a second drying towel to dry.

In my younger days i used to build, design and maintain Aquariums i never left a customers tank streaky.

I use a cheap version of a Wheel Woolies wheel cleaning tool, (gets in all the corners), with no-wax car shampoo and warm filtered water.

Then a decent squeegee to dry, the buff with a microWEAVE cloth.

A bucket of warm/hot water with some fairy in it. Use a lambswool or similar roller mop and give the window a good wash ( pretend you're washing a greasy plate after your bacon and eggs). Wipe down the edges (where the glass meets the seal) of the window with a cloth then squeegee from top to bottom keeping the blade as level as possible, wiping the rubber blade before each swipe. Get a clean dryish microfibre or scrim cloth and detail the top and side edges, job done. If there are a few streaks after it's dry just rub them with a CLEAN DRY cloth, towelling is perfect.
It's also important to make sure the squeegee rubber blade is in good condition, not worn or nicked as this will spoli the job.

PS if you've used a spray with a polymer etc base it may take a few cleans to get this off, think of car wax on your windscreen

The professionals use deionised water,it's the impurities and minerals in water that cause the "dirt" different areas have different water quality IE hard or soft depends on the geology of the area,fairy liquid is full of salt so not good for cleaning cars(strips waxes) or windows (can dry hazey due to mineral content and give you extra work)
Get a water butt and treat the water,use that for your glass!

Is using newspaper a cost-cutting exercise? Perhaps a sign of The Times?

Following advice on here, I've just cleaned my windows with a newspaper and it's like looking in The Mirror.

Aaaaaand BLASTOFF!!!!

Welcome back Paul. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom